Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inner Free Spirit Released....

Col29

Col29

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All

Very proud to be becoming part of the Cali Club when we pick up our first CV on Sunday - a 2nd hand T6 Ocean - very excited and looking forward to exploring some of those harder to reach parts of our great Island, as well venturing into Europe.

We're "all in" as my wiser-half has done the VIP membership bit too - so Hi to all our new club mates :cheers

I'm a curious sort so you'll undoubtedly see a lot of questions from me! The first one is this: Am I right in thinking that essentially unless there is a sign specifically saying "no overnight parking/stopping" you can park anywhere you like and just be a free spirit?

Cheers
Col29
:happy

Hi All

Very proud to be becoming part of the Cali Club when we pick up our first CV on Sunday - a 2nd hand T6 Ocean - very excited and looking forward to exploring some of those harder to reach parts of our great Island, as well venturing into Europe.

We're "all in" as my wiser-half has done the VIP membership bit too - so Hi to all our new club mates :cheers

I'm a curious sort so you'll undoubtedly see a lot of questions from me! The first one is this: Am I right in thinking that essentially unless there is a sign specifically saying "no overnight parking/stopping" you can park anywhere you like and just be a free spirit?

Cheers
Col29
:welcome:happy:welcome:welcome:welcome
Generally speaking, yes. But take care, especially near urban areas if you're the only vehicle and don't turn the Drivers seat unless absolutely sure. External windscreen covers could be problematic as well.

Hi Col

Firstly a great big welcome from me and congratulations on your new acquisition.

Yes you can be a free spirit, more in Scotland than in England. The main parts about wild camping is to respect everyone and anything else and normally you will have no hassle. There are places in the UK, and thousands more in France and elsewhere, that specifically allow overnight stops and lots of websites to get that information from.

Then there is permissive camping, farms, pubs, etc where someone is quite happy to allow you to overnight , but with the expectancy that you will give something back in terms of trade.

Then of course, lay-bys, tracks, forest parks etc.... where as you say if no sign expressly forbidding wild camping you should be ok providing you do not obstruct anyone or encroach on a public highway. However it is a wasps nest and you must assume in England that whatever land it is someone owns it!

In practice common sense and respect for others and you should not have a problem. I never have.

Hi and welcome, your not too far from us down the road in Wakefield. We haven't braved a wild camp yet, we often pass places and say to each other "bet we could get away with parking up for the night" but never seem to pluck up the courage for a wild camp. My brother in law has put me off by the number of times he has wild camped up and down the east coast and then had the police knocking on the window in the early hours, nothing too drastic and mostly friendly, it's just when they see an expensive vehicle tucked away in the middle of nowhere they think its been stolen. We are heading off down south next week without booking anywhere and said we would try a bit of stop and sleep if the opportunity arises.

Welcome , "wild camping" as you call it is getting more and more banned .
Caused by many who break the rules and take a walk with the invirement .
Free standing as i like to call it , means you take everything back with you what you brought ....! There was a member on here who left us due to changing verhicle who once told me , every place he spent the night in the free he would walk arround before leaving cleaning up even what others left before him , i still admire his courage!( those who are longtime on here probaly know who i am referring to)
Or at least use the litter.
Anyway i'm sure you will enjoy the Cali.

Hi A

The first one is this: Am I right in thinking that essentially unless there is a sign specifically saying "no overnight parking/stopping" you can park anywhere you like and just be a free spirit?

Cheers
Col29

It can be a bit of a grey area. No overnight signs to be valid have to have a traffic order posted. It's similar to someone posting a sign saying no parking outside their property that crosses a pavement. Generally you have no right to drive across the pavement unless you have been given permission by your council. Normally by dropping the curbs.
Pretty sure there will be someone on here with more details.

.. message ends..

Back