Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Infotainment system/screen crashing and connection issues with CarPlay

Just collected the van from JCT600 in Sheffield. The issue isn’t fixed, but they’ve sent a technical query to VW. The firmware version we have is the latest, as is the SOS software version (this can muck up the infotainment system as well). There are no waiting OTA updates- so the master tech advises to wait for a response from VW before he starts jumping in with a restore etc. Hopefully we’ll get an update over the coming days.

Update from VW Sheffield today. The technical query has been answered by VW, along the lines of ‘There will be a CarPlay software update during late April 23 which is expected to remediate the issues being experienced’. Sheffield have said they’ll keep my job open and update me when the software is available. So for now, it’s Apple Maps for us (which we’re starting to like actually).

Update from VW Sheffield today. The technical query has been answered by VW, along the lines of ‘There will be a CarPlay software update during late April 23 which is expected to remediate the issues being experienced’. Sheffield have said they’ll keep my job open and update me when the software is available. So for now, it’s Apple Maps for us (which we’re starting to like actually).

We tried Apple Maps yesterday after visiting VW.

I much prefer the interface to Google Maps as the next turn and distance appears on the drivers dash screen.

Also the ‘home page’ of the Car play shows you a mini map and the next direction. As well as some info on music playing.

Although I think Google Maps will be the best at avoiding traffic and my locations are saved in Google Maps. But Apple Maps is something I will keep on trying.

006E34FB-5060-427C-8259-FA407B9E846B.jpeg

5AAAEC84-2C09-4C52-9E26-71DF4181E249.jpeg

We tried Apple Maps yesterday after visiting VW.

I much prefer the interface to Google Maps as the next turn and distance appears on the drivers dash screen.

Also the ‘home page’ of the Car play shows you a mini map and the next direction. As well as some info on music playing.

Although I think Google Maps will be the best at avoiding traffic and my locations are saved in Google Maps. But Apple Maps is something I will keep on trying.

View attachment 105479

View attachment 105480
To be honest we thought Apple Maps was pants, based on our experience a few years back. I even demoted the app on my phone to the “last chance saloon page”. Having used it for a few weeks, there are some nice features, like clear audio instructions “go through the next lights, then turn left “ etc. Google Maps still has the useful bits like info on your destination (where it’s a public one). Anyway, for now there’s not much of an option, apart from the VW nav system, which I really do struggle with.

To be honest we thought Apple Maps was pants, based on our experience a few years back. I even demoted the app on my phone to the “last chance saloon page”. Having used it for a few weeks, there are some nice features, like clear audio instructions “go through the next lights, then turn left “ etc. Google Maps still has the useful bits like info on your destination (where it’s a public one). Anyway, for now there’s not much of an option, apart from the VW nav system, which I really do struggle with.
Have you tried Google maps without the satellite images? I did this today and it didn’t glitch for 2 hours. In about 8 hours of mostly motorway driving without satellite I only had to reset 3 times.

But it made me remember how slow my google maps is sometimes. Eg take a roundabout and 20 seconds after leaving it the arrow is still on the roundabout.

Have you tried Google maps without the satellite images? I did this today and it didn’t glitch for 2 hours. In about 8 hours of mostly motorway driving without satellite I only had to reset 3 times.

But it made me remember how slow my google maps is sometimes. Eg take a roundabout and 20 seconds after leaving it the arrow is still on the roundabout.
Yes, I normally don’t use the satellite view. It corrupts within 5 minutes of driving.

I’m monitoring messages on the Apple Support Community forum about the pixelation issue - this was posted today by a user…
”VW software update is projected to be available in May 2023. Need version 840, is what I’ve been told. Will need to go to dealership to do”.

Evening all.

At the risk of boring people stupid on this subject (I confess I am already!), I have for the last week and a half been away travelling in Europe and doing an extended investigation into the CarPlay and Google Maps issues.

Whereas before this trip I had had very few issues with crashing etc. - the majority of failures were suffered by my wife (iPhone 7 vs my 2016 1st-gen iPhone SE), on this trip the crashes started happening right away with my phone as well. Can my wife's phone being plugged in on charge via the 12V port whilst MY phone is 'driving' make the system fall over . . . who knows!?

Anyway, with Google Maps running on my phone, nearly every incoming WhatsApp or iMessage, whether reviewed or not, caused CarPlay to crash, often with a temporary black screen and minutes and minutes of messing around before a reconnection was possible.

So on day 2 I threw in the towel, and started using Apple maps, and for the whole of the last week, through France, Switzerland and Italy, it has been completely faultless.

There is something about the combination of VW California MY '21, iPhone, CarPlay and Google Maps which just doesn't work. Remove Google Maps from the equation, and everything becomes stable.

So Apple Maps it is for us . . . life's too short.

PS anyway, does anyone meantime have any updated information on new software updates

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-24 at 08.44.27.jpeg

I posted this elsewhere before, but I have (on my MY2023 Ocean) found TomTom to be very solid, and superior all round, Europe wide, to the free alternatives such as Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze and to the VW OEM navigation: at a relatively modest price (currently £29.99 per annum for family use).

I posted this elsewhere before, but I have (on my MY2023 Ocean) found TomTom to be very solid, and superior all round, Europe wide, to the free alternatives such as Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze and to the VW OEM navigation: at a relatively modest price (currently £29.99 per annum for family use).

Thanks, in the end and if there's nothing free which works properly, then it's a good to have a recommendation of last resort!

No update on the update yet. I’m going to call the van centre in Sheffield when we get back home to see where the “April software update” is at - we have an open job card. Out of curiosity we tried GM the other day, still pixelates! Apple Maps is fine, but very power hungry on the phone - and phone heats up to the point that charging is suspended.

Good evening all. Just wondering if anyone had news of a new software update? There’s some chat on the Apple forum of VW releasing an update that is reported to fix the bug - version 1896 is quoted.

Good evening all. Just wondering if anyone had news of a new software update? There’s some chat on the Apple forum of VW releasing an update that is reported to fix the bug - version 1896 is quoted.
No - haven’t heard of a fix. I am also using Apple Maps in the meantime, and it now seems stable. I haven't noticed any overheating or charging problems. Googlemaps and Waze still unusable.

I’m just returning home after a month away and our van is telling us it wants its second oil service, so I’ll get it booked in for next week and ask about ‘1896’ and hopefully get it done at the same time.

No - haven’t heard of a fix. I am also using Apple Maps in the meantime, and it now seems stable. I haven't noticed any overheating or charging problems. Googlemaps and Waze still unusable.
The over heating is probably a symptom of using an ageing iPhone. I hate replacing expensive tech :mad:

I’m just returning home after a month away and our van is telling us it wants its second oil service, so I’ll get it booked in for next week and ask about ‘1896’ and hopefully get it done at the same time.

I was in the dealer today, and we checked my software version - 0809 - which they say is the most up-to-date available, but doesn't address or fix any of the nonsense above . . . . they are (as ever!) awaiting a new issue of code from VW, have no timetable for it, but will advise when it's available!

Last edited:
I was in the dealer today, and we checked my software version - 0809 - which they say is the most up-to-date available, but doesn't't address or fix any of the nonsense above . . . . they are (as ever!) awaiting a new issue of code from VW, have no timetable for it, but will advise when it's available!
Thanks for the update. On the Apple forum I’m seeing a number of people driving vw variant cars reporting updates and fixed Google Maps. It’s disappointing to find that Transporters aren’t yet in this cohort.

I just tried Googlemaps again over the past week having avoided it for ages and it worked ok! I haven’t been in to the dealer for a software update, but my phone has recently forced an update to Googlemaps, so I wonder if that has fixed the pixelation issue? Anyone else seen an improvement? I am delighted to have Gmaps back, just need to test it on a long run now.

I just tried Googlemaps again over the past week having avoided it for ages and it worked ok! I haven’t been in to the dealer for a software update, but my phone has recently forced an update to Googlemaps, so I wonder if that has fixed the pixelation issue? Anyone else seen an improvement? I am delighted to have Gmaps back, just need to test it on a long run now.
I tried it last week on a short run, and as soon as I started turning corners with an active route, it messed up as usual. I updated all my apps around a week ago also. Interested in your feedback after your longer test.

I tried it last week on a short run, and as soon as I started turning corners with an active route, it messed up as usual. I updated all my apps around a week ago also. Interested in your feedback after your longer test.
My latest version of Gmaps is 6.70.1 - is yours the same?

I have a 2021 Ocean t6.1 and have always had problems with the navigator which has taken me to the workshop many times. The last problem is that by turning off the van all the memories are lost (destinations, preferences, home addresses, ...) The workshop says that an update must arrive (I've been waiting 6 months) and VW Italy says it depends on the main company and not from them (...) they did not give me the possibility to contact them. For Android, it has not been possible to connect with the cable for at least a month (mine does not support bluetooth). Do you also have the problem of memories, which is what bothers me the most?

I have a 2021 Ocean t6.1 and have always had problems with the navigator which has taken me to the workshop many times. The last problem is that by turning off the van all the memories are lost (destinations, preferences, home addresses, ...) The workshop says that an update must arrive (I've been waiting 6 months) and VW Italy says it depends on the main company and not from them (...) they did not give me the possibility to contact them. For Android, it has not been possible to connect with the cable for at least a month (mine does not support bluetooth). Do you also have the problem of memories, which is what bothers me the most?
I think @GrumpyGranddad had a similar issue with losing data, not sure if there was a fix. Tbh I have mostly been concerned with Gmaps implementation via Carplay which has been until recently very unreliable due to screen breakup.

My latest version of Gmaps is 6.70.1 - is yours the same?
I’ve just updated to 6.69. 6.70 isn’t showing yet.

EDIT - 6.70 installed last night. I’ll need to do a trip in the van to test it out.

Last edited:
Still no fix
I think @GrumpyGranddad had a similar issue with losing data, not sure if there was a fix. Tbh I have mostly been concerned with Gmaps implementation via Carplay which has been until recently very unreliable due to screen breakup.
Unfortunately, 8 months in and still no fix on my VW SatNav not remembering destinations/favourites!! I’m using Waze/Google/Apple in the meantime. You need to raise a case with VW Customer Services. You might at least get a ‘goodwill gesture’ ?

We are experiencing these same issues with CarPlay in our GC600...and as others have said no issues with CarPlay in our regular car (Audi). I was getting a little freaked out, especially when my phone would get so hot that it wouldn't function/charge. Glad to know that it is a known issue. Thanks for the advice on using Apple Maps instead of Google- will give that a go next time we head out.