Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Infotainment system/screen crashing and connection issues with CarPlay

This is the company that writes the Infotainment software for VW.

The in-house Infotainment hardware is developed by a former Blackberry R & D section formerly incorporated into VW in 2014.

Who makes VW infotainment system?

Volkswagen Infotainment was founded in 2014 as a 100 percent subsidiary of Volkswagen AG. A completely operational development team was formed by a transfer of undertakings of BlackBerry's European development center.
That knowledge makes me feel so much more confident that VW will be at the cutting edge … :headbang

They say that if a product is free, YOU are the product. Google write great free software but I refuse to use any of it, as it is all designed to track and analyse you so they can better serve you adverts from their customers.

I’m not interested in telling Google my location everytime I move around in Vinnie. I wonder whether the constant Google tracking is causing the screen and heat issues @Hawthorn37 ?

One last test that you didn’t list. Use gmap on your iPhone for 10 minutes when moving. Get someone else to monitor the iPhone whilst you drive, does it glitch?

Last edited:
They say that if a product is free, YOU are the product. Google write great free software but I refuse to use any of it, as it is all designed to track and analyse you so they can better serve you adverts from their customers.

I’m not interested in telling Google my location everytime I move around in Vinnie. I wonder whether the constant Google tracking is causing the screen and heat issues @Hawthorn37 ?

One last test that you didn’t list. Use gmap on your iPhone for 10 minutes when moving. Get someone else to monitor the iPhone whilst you drive, does it glitch?
No issues with Google Maps on the phone, that’s how I’ve been using it recently - by turning off Bluetooth and WiFi on the phone to stop it pairing. Works for for 3 hours +.

Wish mine would even get to that point where I could choose it crashes trying to connect almost every time. I’m booked in with the dealer now but 3 week wait.

Assuming your iOS is up to date and GMaps is up to date too, I'd try a GMaps removal, iPhone shutdown and restart, use CarPlay fo 10 mins using AppleMaps, then reinstall GMaps.
I use CarPlay and a mix of AMaps,GMaps,Waze on my T6 Cali and my car and have at time experienced quite a few Waze bugs, but no issue with the other two navigation apps
Apple CarPlay is working perfectly on mine now.
I did as you suggested but without the 10 mins on Apple Maps bit.
Switched off Wi-Fi on phone and connected via the USBc cable.
I’ve driven from Mansfield to Scotland without a glitch, no pixelation, everything working as it should.
I suppose I should try it on WiFi on the way back but now it’s working I think I’ll just leave things as they are and see how long it lasts.

I bought a 2019 Cali about 6 months ago and couldn’t get Apple CarPlay to work at all. As it was under dealer warranty (and the tap didn’t work either which showed how good their 200 point check was) I made them collect it (Cornwall to Liverpool!) and to their credit they replaced the whole MM Head Unit - and now it works (Wired only on this model) perfectly. Interestingly their loan vehicle (T6.1 Transporter) about 2 months old had a faulty head unit which wouldn’t boot up on most journeys until 10 mins had passed. On the VW iD4 that I owned for a couple of months before returning it because there were so many issues - mainly with the infotainment system that they could not resolve, Wireless car play was one of the few things that worked really well. My experience is that VW have huge issues with their MM Infotainement systems which are well recognised by everyone other than VW customer support and dealers. The 6.1 vans in particular. I would not accept any bull about “its apple’s fault or you need to reset your phone, or an update problem”. The vehicles are sold as supporting CarPlay and when working properly they do. So if yours is not working and especially if under warranty the dealers need to fix it or replace the head unit with one that works. Out of interest, why so many using google maps - does the Apple map work without pixelating?

I bought a 2019 Cali about 6 months ago and couldn’t get Apple CarPlay to work at all. As it was under dealer warranty (and the tap didn’t work either which showed how good their 200 point check was) I made them collect it (Cornwall to Liverpool!) and to their credit they replaced the whole MM Head Unit - and now it works (Wired only on this model) perfectly. Interestingly their loan vehicle (T6.1 Transporter) about 2 months old had a faulty head unit which wouldn’t boot up on most journeys until 10 mins had passed. On the VW iD4 that I owned for a couple of months before returning it because there were so many issues - mainly with the infotainment system that they could not resolve, Wireless car play was one of the few things that worked really well. My experience is that VW have huge issues with their MM Infotainement systems which are well recognised by everyone other than VW customer support and dealers. The 6.1 vans in particular. I would not accept any bull about “its apple’s fault or you need to reset your phone, or an update problem”. The vehicles are sold as supporting CarPlay and when working properly they do. So if yours is not working and especially if under warranty the dealers need to fix it or replace the head unit with one that works. Out of interest, why so many using google maps - does the Apple map work without pixelating?
I agree, the Van is sold with CarPlay as a feature, so it should work! As I booked it in for this issue (and sliding door blind guides out of line), you could ‘hear’ the shuffling of feet in the reaction I got. But, let’s see how they do. We‘re not the type to suck it up and say ‘oh well you tried’ ;).

Apple Maps does actually work okay - and we’re getting used to it (better than we remember from first using it about 10 years ago). The Siri interface works very well. I guess Google is a habit.

I bought a 2019 Cali about 6 months ago and couldn’t get Apple CarPlay to work at all. As it was under dealer warranty (and the tap didn’t work either which showed how good their 200 point check was) I made them collect it (Cornwall to Liverpool!) and to their credit they replaced the whole MM Head Unit - and now it works (Wired only on this model) perfectly. Interestingly their loan vehicle (T6.1 Transporter) about 2 months old had a faulty head unit which wouldn’t boot up on most journeys until 10 mins had passed. On the VW iD4 that I owned for a couple of months before returning it because there were so many issues - mainly with the infotainment system that they could not resolve, Wireless car play was one of the few things that worked really well. My experience is that VW have huge issues with their MM Infotainement systems which are well recognised by everyone other than VW customer support and dealers. The 6.1 vans in particular. I would not accept any bull about “its apple’s fault or you need to reset your phone, or an update problem”. The vehicles are sold as supporting CarPlay and when working properly they ….
Yes Apple Maps works fine. It’s just that I prefer Google Maps. If and when it starts pixelating again on Google Maps it’s going in for a new Head Unit, or whatever it takes to fix it.
Interestingly I had a Skoda Octavia from 2019 to 2022 and never any bother with CarPlay

I’ve now got my T6.1 Coast back from VW Hereford after being there for 3 days; seems all sorted now they managed to download and install the correct firmware. Apple CarPlay works and the system is stable. As others have mentioned this dealer continues to provide excellent service. Fingers crossed (and I so missed my van whilst it was with VW..)

I’ve now got my T6.1 Coast back from VW Hereford after being there for 3 days; seems all sorted now they managed to download and install the correct firmware. Apple CarPlay works and the system is stable. As others have mentioned this dealer continues to provide excellent service. Fingers crossed (and I so missed my van whilst it was with VW..)
Any idea what they did? I’ve less confidence in my dealer

Great news! I’m hoping Sheffield Van Centre can be as successful. Mine goes in about 10 days time.

I know it was a 3 hour firmware download, but I’ve asked the dealer if they can give me more specific details.

One would imagine, given how recent my visit was, that it would be this trio, but good to have a confirmation. They were rather guarded about supplying update codes to me (knowledge is power!), until the desk guy took my keys off me and I casually said 'Oh, can I just get a shot of that please?" to which he replied 'Sure' ;-) !

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 13.41.30.png

One would imagine, given how recent my visit was, that it would be this trio, but good to have a confirmation. They were rather guarded about supplying update codes to me (knowledge is power!), until the desk guy took my keys off me and I casually said 'Oh, can I just get a shot of that please?" to which he replied 'Sure' ;-) !

View attachment 104786
So will your dealer routinely contact you if you need the recall updates, or do you have to report a problem first ?

Mine knew of the constant hassle we’d had with screen crashes whilst away last summer, and did one update (I presume the only one available at the time) at its first service in the autumn, and then rang me unprompted about this latest set.
But I think, knowing I’d had prior hassle, ‘my card was marked’, and so they thought they’d get me before I got them!
I’d recommend making your dealer well aware of the fact that you’re au fait with all the issues affecting these vehicles, so as to encourage him to keep you in mind.

I once had a BMW Mini, and after a routine service one time was given the keys back with the comment ‘Oh, and we’ve changed your radio’! - it seems there was a potential issue, but they only did the exchange either if they saw the car, or the owner reported a problem.

VW may be the same, I don’t know.

The only sure thing is that they do always contact you for safety recalls, like air bag faults, steering, brakes etc..

Mine knew of the constant hassle we’d had with screen crashes whilst away last summer, and did one update (I presume the only one available at the time) at its first service in the autumn, and then rang me unprompted about this latest set.
But I think, knowing I’d had prior hassle, ‘my card was marked’, and so they thought they’d get me before I got them!
I’d recommend making your dealer well aware of the fact that you’re au fait with all the issues affecting these vehicles, so as to encourage him to keep you in mind.

I once had a BMW Mini, and after a routine service one time was given the keys back with the comment ‘Oh, and we’ve changed your radio’! - it seems there was a potential issue, but they only did the exchange either if they saw the car, or the owner reported a problem.

VW may be the same, I don’t know.

The only sure thing is that they do always contact you for safety recalls, like air bag faults, steering, brakes etc..
Yes, when its safety recalls, the DVLA makes sure it gets done. I’ll wait until mine’s plays up again and book it in then.

We have a Kenwood unit with carplay, no issues with IPhone or google maps etc.

…My money is on VW being at fault.
Hi Ch1pbutty . My nav RNS 510 has developed the same fault in the last 3 months . I thought it was a voltage issue so had new engine battery . Seems to be ok if battery charged whenever left and dash cam switched off. This has been working fine for last 5 years plus . Now nav won‘ t boot up and then whole RNS 510 just keeps rebooting itself . Driving me mad . Which Kenwood unit did you fit and is it controlled from the wheel ? Many thanks .
We have a Kenwood unit with carplay, no issues with IPhone or google maps etc.

…My money is on VW being at fault.

Hi Ch1pbutty . My nav RNS 510 has developed the same fault in the last 3 months . I thought it was a voltage issue so had new engine battery . Seems to be ok if battery charged whenever left and dash cam switched off. This has been working fine for last 5 years plus . Now nav won‘ t boot up and then whole RNS 510 just keeps rebooting itself . Driving me mad . Which Kenwood unit did you fit and is it controlled from the wheel ? Many thanks .
One of these, but contact absolut5 as they will be able to supply vw facia & correct Kenwood interface lead that will give you steering wheel controls, + climate control&parking sensors&heated seats etc displayed on the headunit:

Last edited:
5BA9B807-3655-44AC-BD6E-13875304C28C.jpeg
The bug is back. I was ok for 600 miles then before Wetherby services on way back from Scotland, pixelation on Gmaps. Back to normal when I got back in van after a pit stop then screen gone again after about 20 miles. Tried it on Bluetooth at Blyth services and gone within 10 miles, but this time with a difference. Pixelation on the Apple Music screen as well, which was a first for me.
When I got home it got a bit bizarre. I reversed up the drive and of course the reversing camera was on the screen. When I moved the gearstick to Park the Gmaps and Music screens were back to normal. I’ll book it in for the Infotainment update.

View attachment 104861
The bug is back. I was ok for 600 miles then before Wetherby services on way back from Scotland, pixelation on Gmaps. Back to normal when I got back in van after a pit stop then screen gone again after about 20 miles. Tried it on Bluetooth at Blyth services and gone within 10 miles, but this time with a difference. Pixelation on the Apple Music screen as well, which was a first for me.
When I got home it got a bit bizarre. I reversed up the drive and of course the reversing camera was on the screen. When I moved the gearstick to Park the Gmaps and Music screens were back to normal. I’ll book it in for the Infotainment update.
When you say Apple Music was pixelated, do you recall if you initially were on Google Maps?
Also, I found out that GM doesn’t pixelate if the van is stationary, which might explain your last observation. It aldo doesn’t pixelate for me if I have GM on, but not on an active route. The pixelation is actually multiple screen overlays on GM as the van moves.

Our van is booked in for Tuesday next week.

When you say Apple Music was pixelated, do you recall if you initially were on Google Maps?
Also, I found out that GM doesn’t pixelate if the van is stationary, which might explain your last observation. It aldo doesn’t pixelate for me if I have GM on, but not on an active route. The pixelation is actually multiple screen overlays on GM as the van moves.

Our van is booked in for Tuesday next week.
Yes I was on GMaps throughout.
When I was at the services I kept the engine running while I fetched the iPad from back of the van to take the photo. When I switched ignition off and on screen was back to normal.
At home, changing to the reverse camera screen seemed to have the same effect.
Previously I could clear the pixelation just by switching the screen off and back on using the left hand on /off, volume button.
Anyhow, it needs fixing, it never did it for first year. If Sheffield do the needful on yours, I’ll just use them too. Good luck !