Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inferiority of conversions

I personally would say the few habitation issues I have had have been dealt with effectively and timely by my VW dealer. This may be because the dealer I use knows the Cali systems well. The forum gives me great knowledge and an overview of such issues.
Yep total agree, vw breeze were fantastic at sorting problems with old Cali.

Compare like with like. VW don’t make a LWB California, so there is No Comparison.
Of course one can compare LWB conversions with Californias. The title of this thread is all about comparisons. Also on this Forum there are many comments from California owners asking why VW do not make LWB Californias. Sorry, you're wrong.

Of course one can compare LWB conversions with Californias. The title of this thread is all about comparisons. Also on this Forum there are many comments from California owners asking why VW do not make LWB Californias. Sorry, you're wrong.
Correct, comparison with a California. There is No LWB California marketed by VW to my knowledge, so comparing a LWB Conversion to a California is like comparing Yoghurt and Cheese, both have the same elements, both are foods and both are very different.
There are pluses for the LWB but also negatives. Comparing a SWB conversion to a California highlights the true differences. :Iamsorry

Correct, comparison with a California. There is No LWB California marketed by VW to my knowledge, so comparing a LWB Conversion to a California is like comparing Yoghurt and Cheese, both have the same elements, both are foods and both are very different.
There are pluses for the LWB but also negatives. Comparing a SWB conversion to a California highlights the true differences. :Iamsorry
I always thought that a LWB version would be ideal. In fact we started looking for a LWB Caravelle with a bed pack. However, when you think about it the extra length is only really useful in the boot or if you have a Beach with seven seats. Carrying extra stuff in the boot would have pay load implications. Extra length in the rear cabin wouldn't be that useful because both the driver and passengers would still need to reach the table to eat and play games etc. So unless the occupants have arms like a orangutan, then I doubt if a LWB would offer much of an advantage.

I always thought that a LWB version would be ideal. In fact we started looking for a LWB Caravelle with a bed pack. However, when you think about it the extra length is only really useful in the boot or if you have a Beach with seven seats. Carrying extra stuff in the boot would have pay load implications. Extra length in the rear cabin wouldn't be that useful because you and your passengers would still need to reach the table to eat and play games etc. So unless the occupants have arms like a orangutan, then I doubt if a LWB would offer much of an advantage.
A lot of lwb VW campers use the extra room to squeeze in a toilet/shower facility ie Westfalia Kepler range.

A lot of lwb VW campers use the extra room to squeeze in a toilet/shower facility ie Westfalia Kepler range.
Yes, that would make sense.

The roof on that Kepler Iconic looks interesting. Apart from being hinged up from the front it looks similar to the Cali but with a longer front cap extending back over the cab. It makes me wonder if the existing Cali roof could be made to fit a LWB vehicle in a similar fashion?

The extra length on an ocean would allow more room between kitchen and passenger seat which would be far better.
A substantial increase in room at the end of the bed when made up would be useful.
A bit of worktop that didn’t need lifting would be an improvement
Being able to make up the bed without taking out the fifth seat

There are Loads of reasons a longer van would be useful.

The extra length on an ocean would allow more room between kitchen and passenger seat which would be far better.
A substantial increase in room at the end of the bed when made up would be useful.
A bit of worktop that didn’t need lifting would be an improvement
Being able to make up the bed without taking out the fifth seat

There are Loads of reasons a longer van would be useful.
And you can have all that in a Conversion on a LWB, but not on a California. Compromises have to be made.

Hellow
Indeed, that carpet seems to me to be the only solution for many conversions to make something 'beautiful' on the walls ...
For me, I don't think the electro-hydraulic roof is a plus, but fortunately the coast (& beach) exists for people like me.
The seats in the tailgate, the outside table in the sliding door and the sliding table inside (as opposed to having to set up a table if you need one) were very important reasons that we bought a california and did not continue with our now 30 year old t4 westfalia (+ air conditioning and more horsepower but this aside).
Greetings
Simply for interest, in my research, I’ve just come across this company selling sliding door tables and twin chair pods for Transporter tailgates.

The only price details for three bridges is one sold van for an admittedly nice looking kitchen unit in a basic spec 2015 transporter. That van has a fixed rear bench and was still £40k so up at cali prices.

I don't understand why a cali is crap at 5 seats during the week? Slide rear bench back & insert 5th seat what's wrong with that?
Thanks Andy Luton.

Are you using a cali with 5 seats? How is the leg room? I have not seem one with 5 seats but the demo one I saw, I struggled to see how it would fit. I saw many photo and it looked fine for a small kid only.

Is it heavy to move in and out? A family of 5 on YouTube said it I'd very heavy and a pain.

As a daily driver using 5 seats works well, put the fifth seat nearest the sink, that passenger then has a good view between the front seats and can use the gap as extra leg room.
Take the rear shelf out and remove the stops in the rails and the bench can slide back a long way, you are then left with masses of leg room and still a decent size boot.

There is supposedly a an alternative rear shelf available with a flip up section to allow the bench to move back whilst leaving the shelf in. No-one has seen one yet but it is shown in the manual.

For camping 5 seats is harder work. You can’t make up the downstairs bed with the shelf without taking the 5th seat out the van. The seat weighs about 35kg and there is a definate knack to putting it in and out.

A Cali is always going to be a compromise, ours is a multipurpose van that you can go camping in, it gets used most days for something.

We also bought it knowing that our oldest wouldn’t be coming with us for long. We camp very rarely 5 up, but transport 5 more often and in our previous van put 2 5th seats in occasionally to make it a 6seater.

Having the 5 seats arranged in 3 rows makes for comfortable transport with all 3 rear passengers having good space and the ability to separate a troublemaker! 3 kids wedges on a bench for a long journey would end in trouble.

Back