Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inferiority of conversions

Along the same lines... I have a T6 Ocean and looked at a few conversions at various big shows before my purchase,spoke to the converters etc,the conversions I looked at appeared to be of a good quality but as with everything time and use takes its toll so i dont know if conversions generally wear well,all I can say is my experience after two years of ownership and under 10k miles my California is really not very robust at all,no dogs,no kids just two of us,everything that can be covered or protected is (seat covers,work top covers,carpets,table veneers)we are very careful when we are using the van to the extent that many parts are so fragile we try not to use them (cupboard doors fall apart as one example)and for example the underneath of the top bed (ceiling when top bed is down)is covered in a white absorbent cloth which potentially shows every mark (why would you not make it from just a wipe clean material?) and the seat material is simply daft!
I like my vehicle but I dont think its the "great" quality or design that its hyped up to be.

Along the same lines... I have a T6 Ocean and looked at a few conversions at various big shows before my purchase,spoke to the converters etc,the conversions I looked at appeared to be of a good quality but as with everything time and use takes its toll so i dont know if conversions generally wear well,all I can say is my experience after two years of ownership and under 10k miles my California is really not very robust at all,no dogs,no kids just two of us,everything that can be covered or protected is (seat covers,work top covers,carpets,table veneers)we are very careful when we are using the van to the extent that many parts are so fragile we try not to use them (cupboard doors fall apart as one example)and for example the underneath of the top bed (ceiling when top bed is down)is covered in a white absorbent cloth which potentially shows every mark (why would you not make it from just a wipe clean material?) and the seat material is simply daft!
I like my vehicle but I dont think its the "great" quality or design that its hyped up to be.

Really...?
The Ocean build has really impressed me.
Probably going to regret saying this. We've not had a single internal failure and ours is now three years old.

Our last SE managed 7 years & 60K miles without having anything other than the Rear brake light & cable for the sliding door fail. Thats with full family camping duties & use as a builders van thrown in.

If the new one lasts half as well I will be very happy.

Really...?
The Ocean build has really impressed me.
Probably going to regret saying this. We've not had a single internal failure and ours is now three years old.
Yes always the way now you have said you have had no issues ! ....mechanically it’s been fine just the quality of the interior I do not rate at all after owning a few cars over the years including 4 other VWs this for me has been the worst quality interior ...

I see you are not a happy camper at all; that's a pity.
If you look at even the first T5 california generation, they carry their years very well, in my opinion. they don't wear that much.
Anyway, the design is as it should be: clean, straightforwardly proven interior: many copy it, but only a few make something out of it. Aluminum, lightweight and safe, no carpet around and especially the great finds of seats in the tailgate, the outside table in the sliding door and a sliding inside table place a California for us above a converted van (no matter how good some are). But each his own choice.
Greetings

This T5 is a bit of a different conversion.

If anyone wants to see some good ones, I’ve created an Instagram page that is focused on showing safe work and attention to detail if links away from this site are allowed...
If I ever get to build my own van, I'll be using this bed design in a High top van (from the instagram channel above)
Screenshot_20210331_210009_com.instagram.android.jpg
Where a day / lounging bed is simply pulled out over the bench seat to make a full length sleeping bed. I think it's a great compromise between a good living area and the convenience of an 'almost' fixed bed.

If I ever get to build my own van, I'll be using this bed design in a High top van (from the instagram channel above)
View attachment 76046
Where a day / lounging bed is simply pulled out over the bench seat to make a full length sleeping bed. I think it's a great compromise between a good living area and the convenience of an 'almost' fixed bed.
I would be going for something similar. Probably on the MAN TGE 4Motion. There are quite a few companies doing well made options like this that have more appeal than the Grand California for me.

Agree. We looked at Calis, did not tick our boxes, good vehicles but not for us. Bought a new T6, found a good VW approved converter, told them what we wanted, got what we wanted, very happy.
Who did you go with please?

Autohaus in Minehead.
Thanks Wildcamper. I wanted to make sure they were on my list, as you’ve been really positive about your experience with them. They look like one of the good ones. Can you believe there are over 700 companies in the U.K. converting campervans?

Thanks Wildcamper. I wanted to make sure they were on my list, as you’ve been really positive about your experience with them. They look like one of the good ones. Can you believe there are over 700 companies in the U.K. converting campervans?
Yep very happy. A measure of good customer service is how they deal with problems. They were first class. We had 3, leaking window, gas seal and star craze in the high top gel coat. Made a phone call and raised the issue, they said bring in the van the next day. Assessed problem and fixed it. If it was an overnight job they paid my hotel. For what turned out to be the gas seal, they did not know that to start with, they ordered in a complete new underslung system then took the parts they needed to get it fixed. Also, just as my van was to be delivered to them I broke my Achilles tendon and called to see if there was any chance of changing to a DSG (I thought no hope but worth an ask). Tony at Autohaus used his contacts at VW to find a replacement for our ordered van and they kept the original order, with no change to delivery date. Have had a couple of warranty issues with the van but again no issues with repairs from VW. If you go onto the Autohaus site and look through their Gallery, ours is a Camelot, Acapulco Blue with cream and blue interior. Good hunting!

Yep very happy. A measure of good customer service is how they deal with problems. They were first class. We had 3, leaking window, gas seal and star craze in the high top gel coat. Made a phone call and raised the issue, they said bring in the van the next day. Assessed problem and fixed it. If it was an overnight job they paid my hotel. For what turned out to be the gas seal, they did not know that to start with, they ordered in a complete new underslung system then took the parts they needed to get it fixed. Also, just as my van was to be delivered to them I broke my Achilles tendon and called to see if there was any chance of changing to a DSG (I thought no hope but worth an ask). Tony at Autohaus used his contacts at VW to find a replacement for our ordered van and they kept the original order, with no change to delivery date. Have had a couple of warranty issues with the van but again no issues with repairs from VW. If you go onto the Autohaus site and look through their Gallery, ours is a Camelot, Acapulco Blue with cream and blue interior. Good hunting!
This is a fabulous story. Thank you!

Sounds great. I considered AH but ended up with a Cali. What features made your mind up to do the opposite?

Another good aspect of Autohaus is their telephone support. On this site there are many questions on how this or that works or xyz has stopped working "what should I do?" When these crop up with my van I call Autohaus. If Tony or Chris don't know the answer they put me straight through to the workshop and I speak directly with the installer who knows the answer. This was invaluable on a trip in Scotland. Suddenly the gas system locked out, a safety aspect. Within 20 mins I had the answer and unlocked the system as the installer talked me through the process.
Sounds great. I considered AH but ended up with a Cali. What features made your mind up to do the opposite?
We hired two Cali's. They were great but the hires highlighted what we wished for and these were not on offer in the Cali. We wanted the extra space of a LWB, hot water, underslung lpg storage, a plumbed in toilet, we do not really like pop tops. So as you can see the Cali did not tick our boxes, lovely as it is. Have been told the mpg of the hightop is low, in our case our average over 22,000 miles is 37mpg - no short journeys, gentle braking and keeping engine revs below 3000 rpm, keeping to a max speed of 65mph.

Another good aspect of Autohaus is their telephone support. On this site there are many questions on how this or that works or xyz has stopped working "what should I do?" When these crop up with my van I call Autohaus. If Tony or Chris don't know the answer they put me straight through to the workshop and I speak directly with the installer who knows the answer. This was invaluable on a trip in Scotland. Suddenly the gas system locked out, a safety aspect. Within 20 mins I had the answer and unlocked the system as the installer talked me through the process.

We hired two Cali's. They were great but the hires highlighted what we wished for and these were not on offer in the Cali. We wanted the extra space of a LWB, hot water, underslung lpg storage, a plumbed in toilet, we do not really like pop tops. So as you can see the Cali did not tick our boxes, lovely as it is. Have been told the mpg of the hightop is low, in our case our average over 22,000 miles is 37mpg - no short journeys, gentle braking and keeping engine revs below 3000 rpm, keeping to a max speed of 65mph.
Hi @Wildcamper I have tried to send you a direct message but the system says ‘Error: you can’t send a message to @wildcamper’. I’m not sure what’s occurred there. Could you try initiating a direct message with me? Thank you. David

Hi @Wildcamper I have tried to send you a direct message but the system says ‘Error: you can’t send a message to @wildcamper’. I’m not sure what’s occurred there. Could you try initiating a direct message with me? Thank you. David
It is probably because I am not a VIP member. I would like to be but I do not use PayPal! You can email me via +++++ using vwwildcamper address. Please identify yourself in the subject line. I usually only use this address only for buying stuff never communicating. If necessary I can just delete the account.

It is probably because I am not a VIP member. I would like to be but I do not use PayPal! You can email me via +++++ using vwwildcamper address. Please identify yourself in the subject line. I usually only use this address only for buying stuff never communicating. If necessary I can just delete the account.
G mail

G mail

G mail

G mail
Thanks. Email sent.

We've had high roof LWB T4s,T5s & T6 and can report an expected overall MPG of 34MPG which includes everyday use and long haul European holidays (2020 excepted).

We've had high roof LWB T4s,T5s & T6 and can report an expected overall MPG of 34MPG which includes everyday use and long haul European holidays (2020 excepted).
Who made your campervan @rod_vw please?

Who made your campervan @rod_vw please?
I've built the last five myself, I got fed up with looking for the design, layout and quality that I wanted at a reasonable price. That was back in 2004, and enjoyed building my own ever since.
You can see my previous one at www.1946vw.co.uk the current one is built on a 2016 LWB 140ps Highline Kombi with Reimo high roof etc.

However I'm looking for a converter to build our desired vehicle on a New Crafter (or MAN TGE) as I don't fancy starting the whole process again from scratch at the age of 72.

I've built the last five myself, I got fed up with looking for the design, layout and quality that I wanted at a reasonable price. That was back in 2004, and enjoyed building my own ever since.
You can see my previous one at www.1946vw.co.uk the current one is built on a 2016 LWB 140ps Highline Kombi with Reimo high roof etc.

However I'm looking for a converter to build our desired vehicle on a New Crafter (or MAN TGE) as I don't fancy starting the whole process again from scratch at the age of 72.
That looks like a well made campervan. What changes did you make for your current build?

That looks like a well made campervan. What changes did you make for your current build?
The current one as I said above is built on a LWB 140ps T6 Highline Kombi which additionally has LED headlights. The conversion is very similar except that the one you've see from the link above was built on a factory high roof Kombi which had high rear doors where the current one has a tailgate. The high roof is a Reimo Ergoline which gives a bit more space up-top.
The seat/bed is a Reimo 333 on a track just like the previous van but a later version of the seat. The other fittings are almost identical, Waeco compressor fridge/freezer, Eberspacher blown air heating, solar panel, twin leisure batteries with B2B charge control, etc.

Back