Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

In-line water purifer

Sorry that was a cheeky post. In the past on this forum there was a massive thread about filling your water tank with your garden hose and all the perils that would engulf you. It became known as "Hosegate"
I can imagine... I love a bit of banter/thread creep..

Sorry that was a cheeky post. In the past on this forum there was a massive thread about filling your water tank with your garden hose and all the perils that would engulf you. It became known as "Hosegate"

Yes, it got quite heated ...

Took a lot of cooling down ......:(

ok... I'll get my coat ....

Thats why you need water purifiers today. Too much indoor living in the young ages :D

The nice thing about our lifestyle is that it is incredibly individualistic. Each to their own going where they want when they want. It's what the lifestyle is all about.

WE don't need to conform as a group. If someone wants to drink only bottled water, another drink straight out of the tap, another to fill with a non-food grade hosepipe, then so be it. Their choice and having a choice is what we are all about.

For me it's what makes this forum so interesting and so regenerative. There is always someone who wants to explore doing something different.

Last edited:
I think that I was the OP on what became hosegate. A year on and I'm still looking for the best solution! At the moment, I'm hanging a large collapsible container from the awning rail with a hose and string and leaving it to fill-up on its own.

We all drink the water that comes from the tank without issue, but we've only explored the UK, France and Netherlands so far. I assume I'll still be safe to drink the campsite / aires water from Spain and Italy on our travels this year?

I can imagine... I love a bit of banter/thread creep..
Did you eventually select and fit an inline water filter? If so, could I have details please. Did you ever find out what pressure the Cali pump produces?
I had a great marine ceramic filter in my old T4 camper about 15 years ago when we travelled around Europe for 6 months and never got any stomach troubles, think that cost around £100 back then so probably at least double that now :)

Has anyone fitted an in-line water purifier and if so where?

In my past vehicle conversions I have fitted a Nature Pure bacteria filter to ensure clean drinking water so I will be doing this again and wondered if anyone has already done this and where did you locate it?
Another solution is to ensure the water going in the tank is filtered. Check out the small pelican case sized water-jack at: https://www.famous-water-shop.com/e...?ObjectPath=/Shops/62572049/Products/FWWJFI08

Did you eventually select and fit an inline water filter? If so, could I have details please. Did you ever find out what pressure the Cali pump produces?
I had a great marine ceramic filter in my old T4 camper about 15 years ago when we travelled around Europe for 6 months and never got any stomach troubles, think that cost around £100 back then so probably at least double that now :)
no, I adopted a different method and decided to treat it like a water carrier instead. We have a few and when we are finished using it we wash it out with some milton and then thorouly dry it out and then it is clean a ready to use again.
So for the cali tank, after we return, I rinse it out, fill it back up with water and milton, leave it for 24 hours and then drain it out. Then leave the cap off so it dries out.
I have also just made a fan to help it dry out quickly. The white bit is the neck of a pot-noodle and the fan is a computer fan.
IMG_2001.jpegIMG_2002.jpegIMG_2003.jpeg

Nice invention. :)