Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

In Europe on day of Brexit (in a new Cali)

Apologies if this topic has been done to death - and this is not intended to be a political question!

We are going to be first-time Cali owners very soon (very excited and thanks to everyone for such great advice on this forum!)

Due to a wonderful set of unavoidable coincidences we are driving from the UK across Europe to Switzerland and then back again bang in the middle of the period that the UK is leaving Brexit. With two kids, one of whom needs to get back for mock exams.

So we leave the UK while in Europe, we return when the UK is not in Europe. We have left plenty of time to cope with the regular unintended cock-ups of European travel, but I am beginning to fear we have not fully understood the likelihood of getting stuck in Europe for an extended period due to Brexit happening around us.

We will be in a brand new Cali that we will have only owned for a week (at best) giving us no time to apply for a green card (if that is needed in the event of a hard Brexit). No idea if there is some sort of solution and also if that is the only potential problem.

Would be rather annoying if we end up having to fly and leave our lovely new Cali in the garage, but should we do exactly that?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had looked into this and could advise?
I think you’ll find that the UK will still be in Europe when you return. We might have left the EU though!

Being dual national, i use my UK passport to leave the UK and my European passport to enter any EU country (ferry only), so i cant see it affects me personally. Holding the New EU driving permit would be required but i cant see any other issues other than longer queques from added checks plus of course limits on any alcohol / food you may want to bring in to the UK. I remember the pre-EU days where border checks involved serious emptying of the car to check you had not smuggled in an extra can of Lager or some French Salami or cheese (i had these confiscated)... ultimately nobody can profess to know what is going to happen...

Being dual national, i use my UK passport to leave the UK and my European passport to enter any EU country (ferry only), so i cant see it affects me personally. Holding the New EU driving permit would be required but i cant see any other issues other than longer queques from added checks plus of course limits on any alcohol / food you may want to bring in to the UK. I remember the pre-EU days where border checks involved serious emptying of the car to check you had not smuggled in an extra can of Lager or some French Salami or cheese (i had these confiscated)... ultimately nobody can profess to know what is going to happen...

What do you think the limits on tariff free EU produce might be?

Living just an hour from Eurotunnel Folkestone, I’m thinking that we might be making monthly shopping trips to Calais to avoid the possible 40% tariffs on EU produce. But it won’t be worth it if we are limited to, for example, £100 of groceries.

Of course those in Northern Ireland are likely to be unaffected by any such limit.

What do you think the limits on tariff free EU produce might be?

Living just an hour from Eurotunnel Folkestone, I’m thinking that we might be making monthly shopping trips to Calais to avoid the possible 40% tariffs on EU produce. But it won’t be worth it if we are limited to, for example, £100 of groceries.

Of course those in Northern Ireland are likely to be unaffected by any such limit.
Probably the same as it currently is when arriving from any other none EU country.

£390 of goods, 4litres of wine, 200 fags

Probably the same as it currently is when arriving from any other none EU country.

£390 of goods, 4litres of wine, 200 fags

So if tariffs are 40%, £156 could be saved less the cost of a return ferry/tunnel ticket less diesel?

I’m assuming the £390 is before tariffs have been applied.

Medical insurance will become a right pain in the future particularly for people who develop a condition that significantly increases the likelihood of requiring emergency care - including many Brits travelling abroad; we’re not the fittest nation! It can be expensive for these people; sometimes prohibitively. Even insured, some places will demand up front payment for anything more than the initial first steps.

In fact, it will become so much of a pain, accompanied by the huge cumbersome billing exercise foisted on the NHS for treating EU nationals here... that I’m sure we will enter into an agreement with the EU.

Actually...Maybe the EU wasn’t such a bad idea after all!

Had the same issue with March 31st.

Did all the things that @WelshGas says.

Make sure that you have passport size photos when you go to the PO for International driving Licence as they can't link to the Passport/DVLA system for them.

Green card has no additional cost just get one when you Insure the new Cali.