Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

In Europe on day of Brexit (in a new Cali)

calijomo

calijomo

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Apologies if this topic has been done to death - and this is not intended to be a political question!

We are going to be first-time Cali owners very soon (very excited and thanks to everyone for such great advice on this forum!)

Due to a wonderful set of unavoidable coincidences we are driving from the UK across Europe to Switzerland and then back again bang in the middle of the period that the UK is leaving Brexit. With two kids, one of whom needs to get back for mock exams.

So we leave the UK while in Europe, we return when the UK is not in Europe. We have left plenty of time to cope with the regular unintended cock-ups of European travel, but I am beginning to fear we have not fully understood the likelihood of getting stuck in Europe for an extended period due to Brexit happening around us.

We will be in a brand new Cali that we will have only owned for a week (at best) giving us no time to apply for a green card (if that is needed in the event of a hard Brexit). No idea if there is some sort of solution and also if that is the only potential problem.

Would be rather annoying if we end up having to fly and leave our lovely new Cali in the garage, but should we do exactly that?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had looked into this and could advise?

I think you are better off in the van than flying. Worse case, you then have the option of living in the van while waiting to go home, rather than on a bench at the airport with 000's of other stranded passengers...

In most circumstance I also would imagine that you are not going to be much of a target for anyone in terms of 'letter of the law'. I could be wrong though. The Swiss are not likely to be an issue for you, they are also not in the EU. Leaving CH into France should pose no problem.

However, if you are involved in some incident where documents need to be produced on the spot, then it might get tricky if the people asking are on top of the game. You can claim ignorance or uncertainty and see how far that gets you?

We will be in a brand new Cali that we will have only owned for a week (at best) giving us no time to apply for a green card (if that is needed in the event of a hard Brexit). No idea if there is some sort of solution and also if that is the only potential problem.

Why won't you be able to get a green card ? insurers would issue one today if you had a registration number.

My only suggestion would be to have health insurance with specific wording that its still valid in case of brexit rather than being reliant on an EHIC card which could become invalid.

I think you would need a green card to prove the vehicle is insured when travelling abroad even if you were travelling today, in many european countries.
Never say never, but I wouldn‘t foresee a problem getting back to the uk if you are a british citizen. The uk border people will not stop you from re-entering into the country...

I think you would need a green card to prove the vehicle is insured when travelling abroad even if you were travelling today, in many european countries.
Never say never, but I wouldn‘t foresee a problem getting back to the uk if you are a british citizen. The uk border people will not stop you from re-entering into the country...
I guess the problem will be for non-British EU citizens, living in the UK, but outside Britain on Brexit day. The only way home in a Cali be ferry from Roscoff to Cork, then a ferry from Larne to Cairnryan or Belfast to Liverpool. It's a good job that Boris has promised there will be no border checks between northern and southern Ireland after Hallowe'en!

You might need international drivers licence.... different ones for different EU countries and green card insurance. Beyond that it is just likely to be chaotic rather than impossible..... I understand that the EHIC will remain valid until return to the UK. Also might need to be very careful about fresh food etc especially meats as in theory if hard Brexit they will be illegal to bring in....

If we leave with no deal (rather than hard Brexit, which May's deal was..leaving SM and CU), you should have international driving license, green card (ask for one when you insure new van), health insurance (EHIC theoretically will no longer work). Other than that, no one knows...you may be hanging around in queues at Calais

We are in France with Cali from last week in October until second week in November (house sitting). The only extra document i will be taking is medical insurance.

We looked at it because we went on the recent Cali / T6 factory tour which was the original Brexit weekend until Theresa postponed it for the first time. We’d obtained a green card foc from our insurers Safeguard and depending on where you’re going, at least one of the following international Driving Permits from a main post office:
  • 1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
  • 1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
  • 1968 permit to drive in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland
I was unsure about whether I’d be an illegal alien in the EU as there was no means to obtain the purported visa waiver permit that we’ll need. Mrs L was ok because she’s Chinese and had a Schengen visa anyway. I was just going to wing it! Have fun.

IMO all this is largely exaggerated. Exactly like the fear that was spread for the year 2000 bug.
With my only Belgian driving license I drove to Sweden Norway Finland Denmark Malta Romania Hungary etc ... before these countries became part of the EC.
Also in Morocco, Canada, Switzerland etc ...
And I was never told that my license was not valid, either at the borders or elsewhere.

IMO all this is largely exaggerated. Exactly like the fear that was spread for the year 2000 bug.
With my only Belgian driving license I drove to Sweden Norway Finland Denmark Malta Romania Hungary etc ... before these countries became part of the EC.
Also in Morocco, Canada, Switzerland etc ...
And I was never told that my license was not valid, either at the borders or elsewhere.
I bet the sky never collapsed either

Project Fear once again.
The only extras you need are:
1. Green Card , mine was delivered 48 hrs after I ordered it.
2. Medical Insurance - I always take this anyway because the E111 is very limited and certainly wouldn't re-patriate you anyway. Ideal if you reside in the EU but of limited help otherwise.
3. Appropriate International Driving Permit - Post Office costs about £5.50, requires a Photo and Passport and lasts 3 yrs
4. Forget the talk about a Visa requirement as that is not due to come into force until 1st January 2021 I believe.
5. If travelling via one of the main Channel Ports then there could be delays due to traffic so stick to the tunnel or other less widely used Ports.
6. Lastly a GB sticker.

So, if I was travelling the ONLY additional thing I would need is a Green Card because I have everything else. I use the IDP elsewhere.
visit-europe-brexit

I forgot to hit the ‘post’ button on this when I wrote this post 2 hours ago but never mind done it now ...
The only thing I can say is........
So on the day / week that brexit happens, is there some kind of master plan and set of rules that are thus far undisclosed that will suddenly appear ?
If we don’t know before that fateful day / week then I can’t see how any nation will suddenly bugger up your life enforcing things that make it difficult.
Get clear understanding from your insurance company and ride it out without leaving anything to the last minute and I’m sure on your return to UK they will obligingly be rid of you.
Like the migrants from France

I was involved in a Y2K project pretty much nothing happened in our business because people did the work and got it sorted. B****t has all the warnings and non of the work behind it lol ;)

I am pretty sure we won't be leaving on 31st October, maybe a general election though ;) My advice make what preps you can but don't overly worry, because frankly no-one really knows right now.

Went on holiday 4 yrs ago from our ex holiday home in France to Italy, Spain, Portugal & back to France. When we arrived back, putting value ales back in safe, low and behold passports and driving licence sitting in base of safe

Went on holiday 4 yrs ago from our ex holiday home in France to Italy, Spain, Portugal & back to France. When we arrived back, putting value ales back in safe, low and behold passports and driving licence sitting in base of safe
But all those countries are in the Schengen Area. Any checks will be when entering or leaving that area. As now, leaving the UK for a Schengen country or returning.

The point is/was didn't have any ID if we had been stopped
Then in some of those countries you would have had an issue if stopped, as police in Italy and Germany for example have the right to identify you and a driving license won't suffice. They need ID/Passport. If stopped it would have been a great waste of time for you having to go with them to a police station until they can figure out a way of knowing who you are.
I would think though, a Camper Van with UK plates is unlikely to be stopped for random check....

I was involved in a Y2K project pretty much nothing happened in our business because people did the work and got it sorted. B****t has all the warnings and non of the work behind it lol ;)

I am pretty sure we won't be leaving on 31st October, maybe a general election though ;) My advice make what preps you can but don't overly worry, because frankly no-one really knows right now.
I agree with you re Y2K I also was involved, it is the nature of people that we only notice when things go wrong not all the work people put in to make sure it does not go wrong. Same with the recent power cut, no one would have praised the rail companies if they got trains sorted despite losing power. I expect many companies seemed not to be effected because they have back up. That is why I have had international driving licences and a green card since March. OK I spent money then that I did not need to but if we had left then I may have needed them.

Apologies if this topic has been done to death - and this is not intended to be a political question!

We are going to be first-time Cali owners very soon (very excited and thanks to everyone for such great advice on this forum!)

Due to a wonderful set of unavoidable coincidences we are driving from the UK across Europe to Switzerland and then back again bang in the middle of the period that the UK is leaving Brexit. With two kids, one of whom needs to get back for mock exams.

So we leave the UK while in Europe, we return when the UK is not in Europe. We have left plenty of time to cope with the regular unintended cock-ups of European travel, but I am beginning to fear we have not fully understood the likelihood of getting stuck in Europe for an extended period due to Brexit happening around us.

Would be rather annoying if we end up having to fly and leave our lovely new Cali in the garage, but should we do exactly that?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had looked into this and could advise?
Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your insurance company explaining the shortness of time they may have a solution. Mine came very quickly.

Travel back via The Netherlands! It will be fun: in many beach communities people are preparing parties currently for the night of the 31st, where there will be French fries, German beers, Spanish sausages, Irish steaks, etc, and we will all be watching Brexit happening across the sea!