Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Import of new T6.1 Ocean LHD (2020) in UK - new 6.1 headlights

L

loic2000

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,
I am opening this thread after reading several posts on recent changes on the Headlights on the T6.1. It seems that the travel mode is not available anymore mostly because the beams are flatters on the new model. See more details here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...adlights-to-left-hand-drive.37730/post-479686 and here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/attn-t6-1-led-headlight-owners.38386/post-479689

As I said in another post, we just bought a new VW T6.1 Ocean in Spain (built-in September 2020) and we are in the process of importing it in the UK (waiting for the mutual recognition certificate). I got a little bit worried when I read that the travel mode doesn't exist anymore as I think it could be problematic to import our van (we were expecting to get all the importation process done with a proper UK registration so we can drive it back from Spain).
Let's see how it goes, we should hear from VCA in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, for permanent import @Loz mentions that a good solution would be to replace the lower beam units (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/attn-t6-1-led-headlight-owners.38386/post-477880). Does anyone know where to find:
1) a good website to buy the lower beam units?
2) a manual or instructions on how to replace these parts?

Thank you!

You probably wont need to do this.
The user who was needing to change his dipped beam unit was exporting from UK to Germany.

Hi all,
I am opening this thread after reading several posts on recent changes on the Headlights on the T6.1. It seems that the travel mode is not available anymore mostly because the beams are flatters on the new model. See more details here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...adlights-to-left-hand-drive.37730/post-479686 and here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/attn-t6-1-led-headlight-owners.38386/post-479689

As I said in another post, we just bought a new VW T6.1 Ocean in Spain (built-in September 2020) and we are in the process of importing it in the UK (waiting for the mutual recognition certificate). I got a little bit worried when I read that the travel mode doesn't exist anymore as I think it could be problematic to import our van (we were expecting to get all the importation process done with a proper UK registration so we can drive it back from Spain).
Let's see how it goes, we should hear from VCA in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, for permanent import @Loz mentions that a good solution would be to replace the lower beam units (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/attn-t6-1-led-headlight-owners.38386/post-477880). Does anyone know where to find:
1) a good website to buy the lower beam units?
2) a manual or instructions on how to replace these parts?

Thank you!
On a slightly different subject but I'd be curious to know how your UK registration of a LHD goes. I'm picking up my LHD from Holland hopefully next September. The plan is to register it in the European country where I find work (currently in the USA, with UK and US citizenship), which hopefully will be Italy, France, Germany, Spain or Denmark. However worse case scenario ie no job, I will have to register it in the UK. Dealer will provide the mutual recognition certificate but I'm curious how Brexit might affect this status.
Please send us some follow up info as you go through the process.

On a slightly different subject but I'd be curious to know how your UK registration of a LHD goes. I'm picking up my LHD from Holland hopefully next September. The plan is to register it in the European country where I find work (currently in the USA, with UK and US citizenship), which hopefully will be Italy, France, Germany, Spain or Denmark. However worse case scenario ie no job, I will have to register it in the UK. Dealer will provide the mutual recognition certificate but I'm curious how Brexit might affect this status.
Please send us some follow up info as you go through the process.

In your case, are you planning to buy it new? It is worth checking if you can buy the van before VAT (this is what we did in Spain) as you may have to pay the VAT in the country you are registering the vehicle. In our case, because our van has been driven less than 6,000km (about 3,728 miles) and has been in use for no more than 6 months we had to pay the VAT in the UK.
If we had already paid the VAT in Spain we could have claimed it back but we prefered finding a way of not having to pay this amount twice.

We did that before Brexit in December so it may be a little bit different now. The gov.uk website is full of useful information (https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk)

You probably wont need to do this.
The user who was needing to change his dipped beam unit was exporting from UK to Germany.
Just a quick update, we just got the mutual recognition certificate for our LHD :bananadance2 so the new T6.1 headlights don't appear to be a problem for the mutual recognition. Now we are just waiting for the UK registration :)

Reactions: Loz
This is excellent news. Yes, purchasing it new and before VAT. I will have 7 days to apply for registration in the country of residence. Not sure where that will be yet but I should know well before the Cali is collected later this year. Hopefully it will be France, Italy or Spain, but its great to hear you were able to get the mutual recognition certification for UK registration. That will be my last resort option and then I'll just be on the hook for UK VAT.
Have you looked into extending your warranty once you get UK registration? I will only have the Euro 2 years cover and would like to extend it at least to 4 years given this will be a daily driver.

This is excellent news. Yes, purchasing it new and before VAT. I will have 7 days to apply for registration in the country of residence. Not sure where that will be yet but I should know well before the Cali is collected later this year. Hopefully it will be France, Italy or Spain, but its great to hear you were able to get the mutual recognition certification for UK registration. That will be my last resort option and then I'll just be on the hook for UK VAT.
Have you looked into extending your warranty once you get UK registration? I will only have the Euro 2 years cover and would like to extend it at least to 4 years given this will be a daily driver.
I didn't know we could extend the warranty, do you have any links about that to share?

I didn't know we could extend the warranty, do you have any links about that to share?
Not as yet. I think so long as you purchase the VW extended warranty within 3 months of taking ownership you can get up to 3 additional years cover. So for a Cali purchased in Europe that would give you a total of 5 years. I will be calling a few dealers closer to the delivery time to get pricing and options.

Not as yet. I think so long as you purchase the VW extended warranty within 3 months of taking ownership you can get up to 3 additional years cover. So for a Cali purchased in Europe that would give you a total of 5 years. I will be calling a few dealers closer to the delivery time to get pricing and options.
I think that maybe a VW U.K. offer only and probably wouldn’t apply to a LHD vehicle which cannot be bought new from VW U.K.

As we have left the EU you are required to pay UK VAT of 20% whether you paid it in the EU or not, so best get your EU dealer to export it net of Spanish VAT outside the EU. Due to extensive VAT fraud the EU paperwork and export confirmation will have to be done exactly as required. When required. Not later. They may not accept you driving it as proof of export as they require CMR transport forms.

Registration in the UK will require a satisfactory NOVA (notification of vehicle arrival) certificate from HMRC confirming its duty and VAT paid or exempt (eg diplomat) status.

UK customs may require a bond to be paid on entry of 20% of the list price, if they don’t like the look of your paperwork. Happened to a friend last week who got a car transported from Germany to have some upgrade work done in the UK.

As we have a trade deal you dont pay the import duty.

I’m on my second LHD 6.1 and I wont be registering it in the UK - when it is sold - whenever in the future - EU VAT is required on top of UK VAT - unless you are a car dealer/ diplomat / leasing company where you can keep it “net” or VAT qualifying.

UK registered > LHD > post Brexit a brave move unless you can mitigate the VAT!

I have a LHD T6 Beach which I imported from Germany and want to move to a LHD T6.1 Ocean now. I’m 99.9% certain it’s still free of duty (not vat) to import a new one from the EU but can anyone confirm that the correct HMRC commodity code for a ‘motor caravan’ is

8703321100?
(I take it the Ocean IS motor caravan? My Beach was classified differently by DVLA back in late 2017)

I contacted HMRC but they were unwilling to confirm anything at all without the commodity code and I simply don’t trust half the information that’s knocking around .gov pages since we left the EU as they don’t have dates on them.

When I’ve got a new Ocean registered here I’ll sell my Beach.

On the subject of headlights, if anyone still cares, the VCA requirement is:

1) That the headlamps are UK specification (headlight beam dips to the left).
Note: stickers, beam-benders / deflectors are not acceptable.
We can accept any one of the following options:
a) UK specification, left dipping, headlights that are used in replacement of the original factory fitted headlights
b) Original factory fitted UK specification headlights (dipping left as standard)
c) Original factory fitted headlights that have been, through a standard feature of the vehicle, adjusted so that the beam has been changed from right dipping to left dipping
d) Original factory fitted flat-beam headlights (we can not accept a right dipping beam that is adjusted to flat-beam unless that is a standard feature of the vehicle, e.g. done via operation of a lever)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a LHD T6 Beach which I imported from Germany and want to move to a LHD T6.1 Ocean now. I’m 99.9% certain it’s still free of duty (not vat) to import a new one from the EU but can anyone confirm that the correct HMRC commodity code for a ‘motor caravan’ is

8703321100?
(I take it the Ocean IS motor caravan? My Beach was classified differently by DVLA back in late 2017)

I contacted HMRC but they were unwilling to confirm anything at all without the commodity code and I simply don’t trust half the information that’s knocking around .gov pages since we left the EU as they don’t have dates on them.

When I’ve got a new Ocean registered here I’ll sell my Beach.

1) That the headlamps are UK specification (headlight beam dips to the left).
Note: stickers, beam-benders / deflectors are not acceptable.
We can accept any one of the following options:
a) UK specification, left dipping, headlights that are used in replacement of the original factory fitted headlights
b) Original factory fitted UK specification headlights (dipping left as standard)
c) Original factory fitted headlights that have been, through a standard feature of the vehicle, adjusted so that the beam has been changed from right dipping to left dipping
d) Original factory fitted flat-beam headlights (we can not accept a right dipping beam that is adjusted to flat-beam unless that is a standard feature of the vehicle, e.g. done via operation of a lever)

Subscribed. I hope it doesn't come to registering in UK when I get my Coast in Autumn but I'm curious how this works out in this Post-Brexit world.

8703321100?

Note that if you have the RHD LED headlights they are not quite flat & there is no means adjusting them. I don't know whether the reverse is true for LHD

Note that if you have the RHD LED headlights they are not quite flat & there is no means adjusting them. I don't know whether the reverse is true for LHD
I can have a look and take a picture for you. Should be a travel mode (have it on the golf) but not looked on the van yet. Let me know if some sort of pic will help and I will sort something.for LHD ones that is.

I can have a look and take a picture for you. Should be a travel mode (have it on the golf) but not looked on the van yet. Let me know if some sort of pic will help and I will sort something.for LHD ones that is.

Let us know if you find Travel Mode - no one has found it yet!

Let us know if you find Travel Mode - no one has found it yet!
That almost got me out of bed to go look but I have to be up at 5 so it can wait for tomorrow. Maybe travel mode fell foul of Brexit and/or Covid?

My T6 has LED and travel mode so that was fine. Not sure what the 6.1 has but I’d better find out. I’d be surprised if they’re not flat AND don’t have travel mode as that would be a step backwards.

There was a thread just before xmas about this. I don't know how to link it but the title was:
ATTN T6.1 LED HEADLIGHT OWNERS

There was a thread just before xmas about this. I don't know how to link it but the title was:
ATTN T6.1 LED HEADLIGHT OWNERS

Thanks Andy. Found it.
If they’re flat beam lights then perhaps the reason travel mode has been deleted is that it’s not needed for temporary use - must be a massive cost saving for VW.

I wouldn't have described them as flat, but I suppose its more of a shine out to the left, rather than up & left.

California Chris says the RHD LED equipped 6.1's are flat beams.

OK so no travel mode in LHD 6.1. Came as a surprise. The LED lights are not as flat as I was expecting, raised a bit to the right and definitely angled towards the right. I have auto main beam so maybe this will come into play in U.K. will see what the dealer thinks but something I think is unfairly removed.

Last edited:
My lights against the garage door , definate step up to the left.tempImageVBEt1y.png

Back