Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID. Buzz. We've done it!

Thanks for honest reply - my thinking is if it isn't broke then don't fix it so what have VW done better betwen T5.1 and T6??
Added Adblue, charged more for options, forgot to paint the lower front grille, cured roof corrosion issue with double sided sticky tape & increased the base price.

(….I came from a T4, from a T25, from a T2.)

Last edited:
Sorry @SusiBus I agree with much of what you often say but that statement is a little inflammatory imho. You have driven diesel right up to the point of acquiring the Buzz…… and if you really believe what you are saying you have sold your old diesel to someone else so that they can kill the children? To answer you question…. not so saintly :eek:

Please forgive me if I sound harsh, I am not seeking an argument but you did lay yourself a little open there.

On a more positive note, how are you liking the Buzz? As you may recall we want one (cancelled our pre order) but it will have to wait until LWB van comes along.
I thought Susibus' was a tongue-in-cheek reply ... and not to be taken at face value. :)

Thanks for honest reply - my thinking is if it isn't broke then don't fix it so what have VW done better betwen T5.1 and T6??
Lowered emissions enough to make it possible to drive into London without going bankrupt.
Improved fuel consumption.
Made the engines more powerful - later 150 has same performance figures as old 180.

Between T5.1 & T6.1 SE/Ocean there's a lot more equipment as standard including:
Wind out awning
3 zone aircon
LED headlights
Bigger wheels - 16" was standard on T5.1
Bigger brakes
Upgraded multimedia - even basic Ocean has CarPlay, sat nav, DAB, bluetooth etc.
Steering wheel controls
Door operated Courtesy lighting in the rear, its a minor thing but makes a huge difference
Cruise control
Auto Gearbox
Split glass top on the sink unit.
Panoramic opening to roof bellows
Improved the top bed springs
Added a reclining function to the lower bed
parking sensors
rear camera
tinted glass in the back
Cheaper to tax.

So a bit more than just a few tweaks.

@SusiBus

"More than a little. I was being rather flippant and hypocritical at the same time. Please forgive me"

Well maybe the other way round..... I misinterpreted your post and it is I who beg your forgiveness :)

Glad you are enjoying it :thumb and as for general appreciation.... revel in it and enjoy! ain't nowt wrong with that :cool:

I would seriously consider seat covers for that light interior, especially for the rear seats that might see more challenges. At least one automotive reviewer complained about dye transferring from his jeans to the fabric ( not something he previously noticed in his similarly light upholstery in the BMW X5).

Legislation wise it moved to Euro6 emission spec. which is currently needed for free access to many Cities/Zones.

to add to previous replies, nicer dash, split glass worktop from my18, extra lights in roof etc.
With regard to your search for a Cali at sensible money, iwould say a my18 (67plate) T6 would be preferential to T5.1
IMO this era of T6 is the best compromise of tech, price, reliability etc
You can find the odd one with decent spec reasonably priced. A lot of T5.1 for sale are asking high prices.

Last edited:
Apparently official VW renders of the forthcoming ID California. Not ID Buzz, ID Cali.
Unfortunately, an electric popup roof.
Drive will be a single motor option only. No, AWD and 102kwh battery system…

0867A791-F448-41DF-9D88-8B045E3606DC.jpeg
FEBF61E7-66C3-4BEF-95FD-DF0E24FC768E.jpeg

EBA5CADD-E571-4CB6-97D9-6F48A275CBE8.jpeg

Looks like manual pop top actuation to me. Head room will not be on par with the Transporter.
I hope you’re right. The California is a better van with a manual roof IMO.
The deletion of AWD could be down to weight saving and payload issues…?

I hope you’re right. The California is a better van with a manual roof IMO.
The deletion of AWD could be down to weight saving and payload issues…?
The payload limitations are a major headache if VW want to create the ID Cali, especially with the higher capacity battery on board.

Just increase the weight.

UK C1 licence can drive up to 7.5t.
Licencing isn't the issue. Its the maximum permitted payload of the MEB platform on which the Buzz is built. Going above that spec will require a complete redesign, which on a niche low volume product like the ID Cali isn't going to happen, at least in the short term. At least that is how I am understanding things.

Licencing isn't the issue. Its the maximum permitted payload of the MEB platform on which the Buzz is built. Going above that spec will require a complete redesign, which on a niche low volume product like the ID Cali isn't going to happen, at least in the short term. At least that is how I am understanding things.
As the present Transporter chassis supports Vehicle weights from 2600 to 3200kgm, T26 to T32, and the California is based on the T30 3080Kgm, I would have thought the new chassis would have a similar range so a new California could move up to the equivilent of the T32.

Just increase the weight.

UK C1 licence can drive up to 7.5t.
UK B licence can drive up to 4.25 tonnes rather than 3.5tnnes if alternative fuel is used.

UK B licence can drive up to 4.25 tonnes rather than 3.5tnnes if alternative fuel is used.

My understanding is that only applies to commercial vehicles used for transport of goods and not driven outside of UK. Also need to undertake 5 hrs extra training.
Guessing most buyers of ID Cali will be of sufficient age to have a C license but will be a hassle for sales if they need to check potential customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that only applies to commercial vehicles used for transport of goods and not driven outside of UK. Also need to undertake 5 hrs extra training.
Guessing most buyers of ID Cali will be of sufficient age to have a C license but will be a hassle for sales if they need to check potential customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct.
I had read extract from a .GOV press release that I received & misread it as "not used for the transportation of Goods". Its a badly worded document & really needs "is" before the used.

1.1 In 2018, UK law was changed so that the weight limit for Category B driving licence holders driving alternatively-fuelled vehicles could be increased from 3.5 tonnes to 4.25 tonnes1.
1.2 The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 (the 2018 Regulations) made changes to the law to allow Category B licence holders to drive an alternatively fuelled vehicle that weighs between 3.5 and 4.25 tonnes, provided it is not driven outside of Great Britain, used for the transportation of goods, is not towing a trailer

Apparently official VW renders of the forthcoming ID California. Not ID Buzz, ID Cali.
Unfortunately, an electric popup roof.
Drive will be a single motor option only. No, AWD and 102kwh battery system…
Looks great.

I wonder how fast it will charge and what the actual range (not WLTP) will be bearing in mind you really only get to use around 60% of your battery capacity after first charge on a long journey as you generally top up with a fast charge when you are around 20% and charge to 80%.

After that trickle charge which is fine if you don't need to carry ony your journey but if you are in the middle of a long journey you can't really wait around for the final 20% to fill.

Add bikes on the back (if you take them) and luggage and 4 occupants... going to be interesting.

I hope it can do around 200 miles as that would be a good time to have a break anyway.

If it can manage 250 miles between charges, it’s got half a chance.
I know wishful thinking, but hopefully battery technology keeps improving.

As the present Transporter chassis supports Vehicle weights from 2600 to 3200kgm, T26 to T32, and the California is based on the T30 3080Kgm, I would have thought the new chassis would have a similar range so a new California could move up to the equivilent of the T32.
The Buzz is built on a platform designed for cars whereas the Transporter was designed from the outset as a commercial load carrier. The structural strength of the Buzz platform is not known but VW have stated max permitted loading so I would not think a California as we know it would be based on a Buzz. To keep weight down the Buzz and Multivan have plastic panels!

Forgive my ignorance.
Surely given the weight of EVs, Volkswagen have accounted for heavy vehicles on the MEB platform.
Would it not just be a case of up-rating spring and suspension loads…?

Forgive my ignorance.
Surely given the weight of EVs, Volkswagen have accounted for heavy vehicles on the MEB platform.
Would it not just be a case of up-rating spring and suspension loads…?
If it were that simple they would do it, but I bet there has to be some homologation process to complete and thats exceptionally expensive.

Back