Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I’m Rob

V

Van-Rob

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi I’m Rob. My wife and I would love a California, but working full time means we don’t really have the time to really make use of one. Instead we’ve started to hire a campervan a few times a year. Having hired a transporter conversion previously we hired a VW California Ocean in November and probably won’t go back to a conversion. We’re completely bitten by the California bug.

It will be great to get tips on here on how we can make our trips easier.

Hi I’m Rob. My wife and I would love a California, but working full time means we don’t really have the time to really make use of one. Instead we’ve started to hire a campervan a few times a year. Having hired a transporter conversion previously we hired a VW California Ocean in November and probably won’t go back to a conversion. We’re completely bitten by the California bug.

We did similar. Having started at my roots with hiring classics first. Too impractical nowadays!

Californias are so much better than conversions aren’t they? Once we rented a Cali we realised we could live with one and bit the bullet and ordered one.

If you are up in Scotland, try 4 Seasons near Loch Lomond. She sells her 2 year old Calis every year. So you can try before you buy.

If you’re renting, one of the things I found most lacking was cooking facilities beyond the hob. Well worth looking at a Cadac Safari Chef 2, the Skotti BBQ also gets great reviews and can be used with coal.

What aspect did you find most challenging while renting? That’s the best guide to what to look for.

And welcome! This community is fantastic.

Welcome. Absolutely second Juan's point RE Cadac. It's the things the rented Cali wont have that's worth considering. Portable speaker is always a good shout, as well as some cushions that you can bring with you each time to make whichever Cali you rent on a particular trip feel like home.

This post kinda reminds me of when i first started looking at vans. I woke up one morning about 4 years ago and decided i love all things old Volkswagen. Since them i have bought and still owner 3 1960s vw beetles. But there was something missing. A van. In the beginining i was set on getting an old one and driving all over europe in it. As usual i did my homework and realised 50 mph on the flat wasnt going to quite do it for me. So thats when i decided to go for something newer. I set out one saturday heading for Camper king to have a look at some vans. i didnt make it there on the way i noticed a smaller dealer selling newish converted vw vans i headed for the ones at 45/50 grand and jumped in. I have to say hand on heart i was gutted. this is not the way i though it was going to be. For me it was the carpet stuck all over the walls its not what i had dreamed of. Not to be deterred i looked on the internet for a vw dealer with a California for sale. Leicester van center was only 50 miles away and i could make it before they closed. In there workshop they had a red vw ocean t6.1 for sale i think it was £72,000. i can remember walking up to the van the side door was open and i could see the kitchen layout and the wood effect floor. Im not ashamed to say i started to get excited i put my head in and that was it i was totally blown away. Now thats what im talking about i had to have one. The dealer wouldnt give me any discount on that van so i walked away. Since then i went to Citygate Edgware met a fantastic salesman and perchased an amazing california Ocean.

We did similar. Having started at my roots with hiring classics first. Too impractical nowadays!

Californias are so much better than conversions aren’t they? Once we rented a Cali we realised we could live with one and bit the bullet and ordered one.

If you are up in Scotland, try 4 Seasons near Loch Lomond. She sells her 2 year old Calis every year. So you can try before you buy.

If you’re renting, one of the things I found most lacking was cooking facilities beyond the hob. Well worth looking at a Cadac Safari Chef 2, the Skotti BBQ also gets great reviews and can be used with coal.

What aspect did you find most challenging while renting? That’s the best guide to what to look for.

And welcome! This community is fantastic.
we hired a conversion twice last year (SWB transporter conversion). I wanted to see what all the fuss was about regarding the California’s so we rented one in October. It was when we got all the same stuff in the the cali, yet still hadn’t used the rear cupboards and under bed drawers I realised how much better their design is.

We’d love to buy a cali but it’s currently out of reach. Hopefully we will finish our mortgage in around 5 years so the plan will hopefully involve one then.

At present we’re buying the little things that make hiring easier (duvet, travel pillows etc).