Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hubbys Handmade side/snack drink bar for the beach

The Campingaz cassette style stoves are cheap and lightweight - so might have cracked it
I'd check first that you won't melt it!! Not sure how much heat is thrown downwards from those casssette style stoves. You can look up the melting point of persex but it goes all floppy/pliant first, so you may find you have a droopy shelf and everything slides off onto the floor of the van.

Like the idea of a small lip but that would be a looser fit than 6mm. I reckon it's enough just to have a good friction fit.

My piece of 6mm acrylic arrived today.

it fits the slot snugly but still isn't flat -- I think this is because of the widening behind the slot on the top side.

Not sure that a different material would behave differently.
Perhaps the slot in the Beach of @Theaps and @D heaps is different?

IMG_5199.jpg

I think this is because of the widening behind the slot on the top side.
More than likely and I had that problem too but fixed it with by making the edge a bit thicker. Try experimenting with something like helicopter tape or just 1 or more sheets of A4 until you get a tighter fit.

I guess if that doesn't work, it's either a sky hook on the outside edge or some kind of leg, maybe a bit of plastic waste pipe? Lot's of options down that route. A bit of pipe could also double as what my father in law used to call a persuader.... ;-) His was a pick axe handle behind his seat in his tipper lorry....

Hi @Bramco -- thanks for the advice.

Measured my 6mm sheet - it's actually 5.68mm, and gave a 7 degree tilt (measured with using the 'measure' app on my iPhone) (the van is on the level by the way, 0 degrees)

So with various attempts with different tapes the best I've got was with Duck tape folded over both sides making it now 6.15mm and a 2 degree tilt. This makes quite a tight fit in the slot.

Some photos below. Celebratory Talisker at hand.

In terms of strength -- was fine with cooker + was just about oK with 1 litre of water (in a separate thermos flask) but I wasn't confident enough to test the 2 litre bottle fully.

Anyway I am pleased with what is a simple and convenient little table that didn't cost much and fits comfortably in the storage box when not in use.

(next question, can I make a cup of tea safely?, think I will use a heatproof mat of some sort before I light the stove)

IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5211.PNG

Last edited:
I can hear the discussions at the first stop already.

We have to be this way round, I can't sleep with my head below my feet.

But dear, the little side table has to be a couple of degrees that way or it won't be level.

Hi @Bramco -- thanks for the advice.

Measured my 6mm sheet - it's actually 5.68mm, and gave a 7 degree tilt (measured with using the 'measure' app on my iPhone) (the van is on the level by the way, 0 degrees)

So with various attempts with different tapes the best I've got was with Duck tape folded over both sides making it now 6.15mm and a 2 degree tilt. This makes quite a tight fit in the slot.

Some photos below. Celebratory Talisker at hand.

In terms of strength -- was fine with cooker + was just about oK with 1 litre of water (in a separate thermos flask) but I wasn't confident enough to test the 2 litre bottle fully.

Anyway I am pleased with what is a simple and convenient little table that didn't cost much and fits comfortably in the storage box when not in use.

(next question, can I make a cup of tea safely?, think I will use a heatproof mat of some sort before I light the stove)

View attachment 41064

View attachment 41065

Hi KP, like your thinking, keep it simple, clean lines, space saving etc,
could you attach an adjustable stay to the under side of the table top and run the support back into the storage pocket below the table top (to prevent the need for full leg support to floor of the van)
A small Perspex block or u bracket, glued to the underside of the table would allow a variety of pivoting attachments to the stay, either a foot mount or pin ( if you did not want to fix through the table top) and maintain the modern look.
The pin method could be made to be removable by using a Lynch pin, allowing the support leg to be removed from the table top if required.
could the other end of the stay go into the storage pocket to provide support and adjustment?
The support end could be fitted with a piece of rubber / end cap, / bung to prevent damage to the pocket and provide anti slip support.
If the stay were adjustable, in length and angle, for example a female to male adjusters (threaded bar / extension or adjustable casement stay) would it allow you to set the support at the correct angle when onsite, particularly as the ground / van would not always be level.

Obvs it would depend on the dimensions working around the available pocket storage and angles

Hi KP, like your thinking, keep it simple, clean lines, space saving etc,
could you attach an adjustable stay to the under side of the table top and run the support back into the storage pocket below the table top (to prevent the need for full leg support to floor of the van)
A small Perspex block or u bracket, glued to the underside of the table would allow a variety of pivoting attachments to the stay, either a foot mount or pin ( if you did not want to fix through the table top) and maintain the modern look.
The pin method could be made to be removable by using a Lynch pin, allowing the support leg to be removed from the table top if required.
could the other end of the stay go into the storage pocket to provide support and adjustment?
The support end could be fitted with a piece of rubber / end cap, / bung to prevent damage to the pocket and provide anti slip support.
If the stay were adjustable, in length and angle, for example a female to male adjusters (threaded bar / extension or adjustable casement stay) would it allow you to set the support at the correct angle when onsite, particularly as the ground / van would not always be level.

Obvs it would depend on the dimensions working around the available pocket storage and angles

Polycarbonate sheet would be stronger than Perspex and allow a greater fire resistance.

Ok as i'm sitting here bored with the work I'm supposed to be doing. I've worked out the relative rates of expansion for perspex & aluminium.

If we are assuming the perspex shelf is 6mm thick, to keep things simple I've assumed we are fitting it into effectivly a 6mm slot in the aluminium & therefore have only calculated the difference in expansion of that 6mm.

For a 20 degree change in temperature 6mm perspex will increase / decrease in size by 0.01mm
The 6mm of aluminium will change by just .003mm for the same temperature change.

At this point I would be starting to get concerned over the heat transmission properties of the perspex, a nice cold beer placed on the shelf close to the rear edge could cause the the perspex to shrink enough to loosen the shelf. On the other hand a gas stove would actually make it fit tighter.

Big thanks to all contributors on this thread and especially BeachyBird.
I ordered the table and legs from Clearcut Conversions and the table clips from VW.

20 minutes of checking dimensions and marking clip locations the job was done!

thumbnail-5.jpegthumbnail-6.jpeg thumbnail-7.jpeg

Thanks Beachybird. Unfortunately what shown is not what I am looking for . To better explain my idea is something similar to Maxxcamp but with smaller sizes ( 500x 300 ) instead of 740x400. I attach a picture of it. As you can see the key is the side rail which is capable to hold the standard table. Anybody can provide any info / ideas on how to find a rail which could handle standard table clips?

maxxcamp compact.png

View attachment 29027 View attachment 29028 View attachment 29029 View attachment 29030 View attachment 29031 View attachment 29032 View attachment 29033 View attachment 29034 View attachment 29036 View attachment 29037
Hi again the table top is 400mm by 450mm, brackets are on the short edge. I have included some pictures showing position of brackets and leg, if you do not want the access into the box both can be positioned the same distance from the edge. We used a piece of wood with recesses chiselled out to accommodate and secure the bracket. The leg is telescopic and folding so table can be stored behind the seat or elsewhere. One picture shows how far it sticks out in relation to the front seat so you could have it longer if you wanted. Thing to be mindful of, make sure you can slide the table forward enough so the leg positioned does not interfere with the making up of the bed.
Enjoy your first tea in bed without stepping outside.
Hi. This is amazing. I think this is a daft question but where do you get all the component parts from - table top, telescopic leg etc. I think hubby needs another project

Hi. This is amazing. I think this is a daft question but where do you get all the component parts from - table top, telescopic leg etc. I think hubby needs another project
Hi ...this is possible the most useful thing we have added to our Cali. Tea in bed (we sleep downstairs)
Not a daft question ...the table top we had made by a cabinet maker he makes kitchens for campers etc I think some others have made them themselves from wood the brackets are from VW the same as is on the bigger door table the part No is also on this thread somewhere if you can’t find it let me know, and the telescopic leg you can get from eBay. Hope this helps.

Hi ...this is possible the most useful thing we have added to our Cali. Tea in bed (we sleep downstairs)
Not a daft question ...the table top we had made by a cabinet maker he makes kitchens for campers etc I think some others have made them themselves from wood the brackets are from VW the same as is on the bigger door table the part No is also on this thread somewhere if you can’t find it let me know, and the telescopic leg you can get from eBay. Hope this helps.
If you scroll through you will see the list of parts and where to buy from.

The bracket was from VW genuine part for sure. Then the table top and telescopic leg from another vendor.

Not helpful I know but if you go to top of the thread you should see.

Taken from the thread....
This is the code for the fitting that clips into rail on underside of beach table V7E7 898 209 cost approx £8 per pair. When you order make sure you tell them ONE PAIR cuz some of the parts depts think they should order 2 then they get 2 PAIRS

The telescopic leg used is a Reimo from camper conversion companies.
Table top is 400mm by 450mm.

Hope this helps there are great instructions on the thread which we used - look for posts from Beachybird as these are the ones we used.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about something similar - Maxxcamp have made something close to it, but it is designed for their rail profile which is different to the Beach rail profile. I have purchased one from Maxxcamp, and in the process of getting a local metal basher to make one that will fit the Beach, and mount the gas stove.

The idea would be for it to be reversible - allowing you to clip it on in either the horizontal mode for operation and vertical mode for storage.

Having seen this thread, if the unit was slightly wider might be a bit more useful - cups etc. Would there be enough demand to produce a limited run ??

View attachment 29026
@CALI FATE I know it's been a while but did you do a small run or finish your version with atemplate and person that made it for you for the Beach rail? Agree on slightly wider with perhaps a cup holder (which could always have a plug or lid) This seems a good idea as the storage when not in use is the bug bear of a larger table.

@CALI FATE I know it's been a while but did you do a small run or finish your version with atemplate and person that made it for you for the Beach rail? Agree on slightly wider with perhaps a cup holder (which could always have a plug or lid) This seems a good idea as the storage when not in use is the bug bear of a larger table.
Hi - i am using a piece of perspex 6mm thickness - we store the stove in one of the seat drawers and it works well. There is a slight slope so poss 6.5mm would be better, but the piece i got was free and they dont do 6.5 perspex. the perspex is easy to store - we slot it under the carpet.

Well I did it! Last night I made my side table. Thank you for all the advice and photos it helped me immensely. We even got to use it today for a van picnic. We already prefer it to the larger table and we look forward to using it when we are in camping mode. Thanks again everybody!

El

E52E5E9B-44FB-44ED-9F52-579245423C49.jpeg

99E6139F-4140-4105-B380-6FA6798823B5.jpeg

4395B6AF-E82D-41C6-84B0-B26C92FE8F51.jpeg

A262A96B-D43C-4AF1-8DAE-7BD4EED173DB.jpeg

5D6A2CA1-5D72-4F0B-BB8A-21B1B9115DEC.jpeg

00E7671C-CBB0-40FD-B7D4-A383F02C392A.jpeg

Well I did it! Last night I made my side table. Thank you for all the advice and photos it helped me immensely. We even got to use it today for a van picnic. We already prefer it to the larger table and we look forward to using it when we are in camping mode. Thanks again everybody!

El

View attachment 68327

View attachment 68328

View attachment 68329

View attachment 68330

View attachment 68331

View attachment 68332
A brilliant job looks like it came with the van or should have well done

Hi all,
Just thought I would show our effort at making a side table for the Beach.

We had a table top custom made by Clearcut Conversions, who also supplied the Reimo leg. The table is 40x50cm.

We took a different approach to others in search of that ‘factory’ look.

839D6EC7-0F82-4FDD-AD00-8116EE374C13.jpeg

C56B1D16-FF25-468D-88B2-FF7DDDAB0F54.jpeg

57551E40-3346-46AC-B183-12F03AFC00F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back