Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hubbys Handmade side/snack drink bar for the beach

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I keep expecting someone to find some other 'thing' out there that could be used instead of the VW clips.

If there was an aluminium profile with the right shape, you could get a short strip and screw it onto one edge of whatever you want to use as the table top. Seems there are plenty of options for the leg. Even a piece of plastic piping cut to the right length with a spiggot would work fine.

Now off to start searching aluminium profiles....

Iain Dendle

Iain Dendle

Denders
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
A big thank you to those who contributed to this thread!

I built my table a few weeks back and can’t believe how useful it’s been. Cuppa/wine glass holder when downstairs is in lounge mode, keys/phone/wallet dumping spot when using the downstairs bed and the perfect laptop desk when doing a bit of work. It takes up hardly any space, allowing the rest of the family to move around the Cali, unlike when you have the regular Cali table up. Not sure how we managed without it!
87e837d9ab7b7bbbe932ad54ed7fc7a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iain Dendle

Iain Dendle

Denders
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
A big thank you to those who contributed to this thread!

I built my table a few weeks back and can’t believe how useful it’s been. Cuppa/wine glass holder when downstairs is in lounge mode, keys/phone/wallet dumping spot when using the downstairs bed and the perfect laptop desk when doing a bit of work. It takes up hardly any space, allowing the rest of the family to move around the Cali, unlike when you have the regular Cali table up. Not sure how we managed without it!
87e837d9ab7b7bbbe932ad54ed7fc7a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melanie Day

Melanie Day

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
I think ours is same as the pics on this thread about width of the tape measure.

We held everything in position with tape first before committing to drilling just to check.
Thanks for that, most appreciated.

Do you know the measurement from the black clip on end of the bracket to the table edge?
i.e. how much does it stick out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Now off to start searching aluminium profiles....
I wonder if a moulding like this one might not do the trick - obviously the other way up - we used this type to run across the van to support the edges of our solar panel.

At the back of my mind I have a thickness of 6mm being the right thickness for the slot though - was this mentioned in the other thread about a slot in mini table made from a sheet of aluminium?

acm4.jpg

https://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-...-cope-mouldings/aluminium-cope-mouldings-no-4

D

D heaps

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,
My wife started this thread, for info I used a 6mm sheet of aluminium (might be 1/4 inch would need to measure it to be exact) , no clips just really good fit in the slot, I thought it might need clips etc but it's been fine, use it on every trip and store it under front floor mat between seats, works great and takes no storage space, I designed a small part that would "lean" from table onto side panel , like a cup holder does, but never needed it
Good to see it got some interest:)

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Great thread and thanks for starting it.

Would be great if you could check the exact width

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thanks ever so much - that's really great.

What are the dimensions of the table pls?

Do you find it's the right size or would you make it bigger/smaller next time?

Did you machine the aluminium yourself ?

Also, did you try making the perspex version?

Thanks! :)

D

D heaps

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thanks ever so much - that's really great.

What are the dimensions of the table pls?

Do you find it's the right size or would you make it bigger/smaller next time?

Did you machine the aluminium yourself ?

Also, did you try making the perspex version?

Thanks! :)
Hi,
Sizes are 235mm x 500mm x 6mm, I cleaned up the edges, I recall cutting down the width to 235mm - but only polished the 6mm dimension with wire wool
I cut the holes in for cup holders - but seems we use it mostly for beer bottles and gin glasses ;)
Size seems just right, I didn't do the perspex version as this worked just fine and fits under carpet matt between seats (invisible storage)

I think I got the aluminium from RS, might be worth lacquering the aluminium after polishing (but again I didn't bother)

Dave

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,
Sizes are 235mm x 500mm x 6mm, I cleaned up the edges, I recall cutting down the width to 235mm - but only polished the 6mm dimension with wire wool
I cut the holes in for cup holders - but seems we use it mostly for beer bottles and gin glasses ;)
Size seems just right, I didn't do the perspex version as this worked just fine and fits under carpet matt between seats (invisible storage)
Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm considering similar for our Ocean but with slightly different dimensions.I'm looking at 400mm long x 300mm wide. As, like you, I don't want a leg [I want this to be in situ when the lower bed is made] do you think the extra 60mm width would prove problematic with respect to stability?

The only "issue" in the Ocean is that the units are slightly curved so the sheet would need to be contoured as such
Cheers

Last edited:
D

D heaps

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Dave,
I'm considering similar for our Ocean but with slightly different dimensions.I'm looking at 400mm long x 300mm wide. As, like you, I don't want a leg [I want this to be in situ when the lower bed is made] do you think the extra 60mm width would prove problematic with respect to stability?

The only "issue" in the Ocean is that the units are slightly curved so the sheet would need to be contoured as such
Cheers
Hi DrJuanKerr,
Its surprisingly stable, so i'm sure it would be no problem (we even put a coffee maker on ours), the main thing is to get the thickness just right, I did design a short leg that rested on the plastic panel, (like a cup holder), but never needed it, like you i didn't want a full leg on it, hope it works out OK

Dave

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I didn't do the perspex version as this worked just fine and fits under carpet matt between seats (invisible storage)
Hi,

Thought I'd try a perspex version so ordered a piece online - as I was ordering I realised that another option is so called multiwall acrylic - this is the stuff used for roofing. It's essentially the top and bottom flat surfaces joined to form effectively squares. So very light - and also ridiculously cheap - £1.50 for the size Dave used.

You do need to get the ribs running the right way, so outwards from the slot. Sideways wouldn't be as rigid.

With the solid perspex and the multiwall we found that the sizes weren't as accurate as maybe aluminium is. There were a bit thinner - a strip of helicopter tape brought them both up to the 6mm though. Foto below.

I also had some colour samples of dibond we'd ordered before ordering a sheet to make the shelf for over the cab area. So being 3mm if you had two pieces of this and bonded them with contact adhesive you'd also have a very rigid solution - lot more expensive but trying a couple of the samples together shows it would work. Last photo.

Multiwall acrylic - £1.50
Multiwall acrylic for cali side table.jpg Dibond for cali side table.jpg

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Great information - thanks - i would like to know if a 6mm thick piece of perspex slotted into the rail would be strong enough to hold a cassette stove with kettle / water ..... has anyone tried it - with or without a support strut / leg. Maxxcamp make something metal that does the same thing but fits their own profile which is different to the Beach rail. Thanks

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi @CALI FATE
I have just ordered a 6mm piece of clear acrylic sheet 500mm x 235 mm with polished edges from this website.

https://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/

Speaking to them on the phone
1) Perspex is a brand name - but it's acrylic
2) the clear acrylic is made more accurately (+/- 5%) whereas coloured acrylic is more variable in width

Can you let me know the weight of your cooker and I'll test. I'm using a different cooker with a trangia kettle

should arrive at the weekend

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.47.50.png

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
i would like to know if a 6mm thick piece of perspex slotted into the rail would be strong enough to hold a cassette stove with kettle / water ..... has anyone tried it - with or without a support strut / leg.
Just nipped outside with our kettle with just over 1 litre of water in it. Works fine with both solid perspex and the really cheap multiwall stuff. They are sloping downwards, as I haven't properly adjusted the fit yet. Both pieces are slightly under 6mm so a loose fit.

Kettle on multiwall.jpg Kettle on solid perspex.jpg

VW California Club