Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How we dressed up Betsy

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
Betsy is our new Beach. We've had her since October last year and have tried various ways to store our stuff in her, in a practical way. The big bottleneck has always been the Multiflex board so we decided to take it out completely and start with a blank canvas. Here's the result:
IMG_0816VW.jpg
We started with a base unit, anchored at seven points in the floor rails, using standard VW T-bolts. On top of that we bolted a storage unit made of 10mm and 15mm marine ply. This unit holds two "towers" of industrial crates in various sizes, mounted on runners to turn them into drawers.
collageVW.jpg
Each drawer has a specific purpose. One for cooking equipment (gas bottle and Intellichef), one for pots, pans, plates and food, one for cutlery and cooking tools, one for miscellaneous items (spare gas, extension lead, lantern, etc.), and one for spare sheets, towels, etc.

The remaining space (on the left) is our wine bar!
IMG_0853VW.jpg

The base level has a crate for dog food and a pull-out table for cooking
IMG_0855VW.jpg

The top of the storage unit is 15cm deeper than the original Multiflex board. This extends our bed to a full 200cm, and creates additional space behind the bench. The sides of the board have hinges, giving access to the space above the wheel arches. (We store shoes on one side and our Cali Topper on the other). On top of this board we store our mattress, clothes and bedding. In the space behind the bench we keep our Popaloo and awning sides.
collage2VW.jpg
IMG_0860VW.jpg

We travel with two Golden Retrievers. During the journey they live on the floor in front of the bench. At night one of them sleeps in the footwell, the other on the front seats. We made a "bridge" between the seats to have a continuous sleeping area.
collage3VW.jpg

We carry two jerrycans of 5 liters for our drinking water. They fit perfectly in the door pockets.
IMG_0865VW.jpg

The living area: we have a Waeco CDF-25 fridge which is big enough for two 1.5 liter water bottles and food for two to three days. The space between the fridge and LH seat is used to store our level ramps and hook-up cable. The Brandrup bags behind the RH seat are our entertainment centre: computer, Kindles, DVDs, cables, batteries, etc. The pockets in the side of the van hold all our breakfast necessities: kettle, coffee, tea, mugs, etc.
IMG_0867VW.jpg

Oops! Too many pictures. Part 2 to follow

IMG_0848VW.jpg

Last edited:
How we dressed up Betsy, Part 2

Here is our best invention yet:
collage4VW.jpg
This board (10mm ply) creates a false ceiling above the cabin, with space for clothes and everything else that needs a home when we make up the bed.

We're really happy with this arrangement and hope it inspires somebody else!

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

Looks very well thought out and executed.
My only negative is the water containers in the door pockets.
My last T5 suffered with the well documented door sag, which causes the rear lower corner of the door to touch the body causing a rust patch,so keep a very close eye on it.

Fantastic work, last weekend away I was looking at the idea of an over cab shelf

Nice one Romke. I've bookmarked this post for future reference!

Looks very well thought out and executed.
My only negative is the water containers in the door pockets.
My last T5 suffered with the well documented door sag, which causes the rear lower corner of the door to touch the body causing a rust patch,so keep a very close eye on it.
Thanks for the hint. We'll keep our eyes open!

Think the beach owners have a perfect example ho to modificate they'r booth...
It does look nice , just the wooden plank/ shelf in the top ...with the bed lowerd how do you acces the upper bed. You need to remove the shelf , no ?

I think the bridge between the front seats is just what my husband needs to make for our old golden retriever when we're using the downstairs bed. Many thanks for your excellent post :thumb

Great job, you should go on Dragon's Den with those ideas :thumb

Great ideas, love the pull out drawers/ storage especially the wine rack - well done :thumb

Think the beach owners have a perfect example ho to modificate they'r booth...
It does look nice , just the wooden plank/ shelf in the top ...with the bed lowerd how do you acces the upper bed. You need to remove the shelf , no ?
We always sleep downstairs

Inspiring stuff - maybe you should be commissioned to come up with similar great ideas for the SE! ☺

Some brilliant ideas, well done! Where did you get the floor rail clamps from?

Some really good ideas there. Just finishing my kitchen pod prototype (MDF) but already thinking about creating double hinging multi-flex board and the roof parcel shelf.

Can you store the shelf in the roof area under the mattress?

Andy

I daren't. The shelf is only 10mm but I'm afraid to damage the roof. Or am I being paranoid?

Probably paranoid as I stored the safety net up there until I realised that carrying it around was a waste of time as I would never use it.

If you put it under the mattress in the middle longways I would have thought it okay. No sharp edges and 10mm is minimal. The mattress should compress rather than the roof and I can't believe tolerances are that tight. There again the roof is the 'Achilles Heel' of the Cali, yet mine is approaching three years old and I haven't had the the problem yet (touching wood!).

Andy

Also think that shelf can easyly be stored under or on the matras if it's olnly 10mm plywood.
I got a thin sleeping bag and sometimes leave it on the matrras , locating it in the midlle realy flat...
Just try out , close the roof and check if the ouside edge of the elevating roof is on it's normal place and does not have any opening between the roof and the van , then it should be ok , matras is a bit compresseble...
If you don't feel comforteble with it , just don't do it , prob will worry you to much!

amazing! my 2 cents: I store the hookup cable next to the main battery, there's enough space for a 15 m cable, adapters and window cleaning product. And that's where I have to connect it to the Maxxcamp cable anyway.

Back