Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how to remove head unit from a California T5.1 comfortline

Well.. After being angry and extremely dissapointed for a longer period last night, ive now tried moving on. But let me be clear, to future poor schmucks like myself RCD330 does not fit in a T5 california, IF its a comfortline!!!!

So ive been doiing some research. I got a lead on some fitting kits. I dont know if theyll even work, and some of them costs more then the stereo itself, so thats not likely to happen.
But then i stumbled upon the RCD510. Now, im no amateur at googling. Not by a long shot, but i can not for the life of me, find out if it will actually fit. The seller, that i bought the RCD330 from on ebay, is actually also selling the RCD510, so ive asked them and are currently waiting for a reply.

The thing is, on all the internet ive found one (1!!!) expired add on ebay, with a headline stating that RCD510 is an alternative to a T5 comfortline stereo: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Rcd510-Alt...ar-Radio-California-Comfortline-SD/1742510556

I know its not much. But im grasping at straws here.

I just wish that someone here, has had the experience of switching out the stock stereo on a T5 Comfortline, so they maybe could tell me about it.

The Rcd 510 has got rounded corners so it won´t fit.
If your dash is like mine and i think it is, then the only option
to go for is the - SQUARE CORNERED - Rns 510 Part number
7E0035680A
Like this. I think its the 1st generation rns510 because they
also do a rounded corner one.
rns510t5-01_2_600x600.jpg

Thanks. Do you know where it can be bought? And do you know if it can be found in a somewhat newer version, with Bluetooth, CarPlay and such?

i believe you can get a new surround to allow the fitting of a t5.1 stereo into an earlier square facia try looking on the t5 forum

The lack of blueteeth on the Rns 510 put the blockers on
it for me, it wasn´t much of an upgrade.
The other way to go was to get a Ken wood, they fit, but
i want to keep it original so we´re old school, using an aux cable.

They pop up on german ebay but are about 1500€.

The lack of blueteeth on the Rns 510 put the blockers on
it for me, it wasn´t much of an upgrade.
The other way to go was to get a Ken wood, they fit, but
i want to keep it original so we´re old school, using an aux cable.

They pop up on german ebay but are about 1500€.

Do you mean Kenwood with square edges? Those things are usually super expensive, aren’t they?

Sorry for all the questions.

you can fit one of these

View attachment 40908
Well. That would properly mean that I would either cut of the top half of the current sorround, or get a similar spare part for the lower part of the sorround.

The main difference between my dash and sorround, and the one of the regular t5, is that it is one large piece, instead to to 2 separate parts.

The
Do you mean Kenwood with square edges? Those things are usually super expensive, aren’t they?

Sorry for all the questions.
They are cheaper than the Vw ones,
I think around 700 quid will get you the latest one.
When i looked into it they had a small surround border that came
with it to fit the square corners.

But what is the deal with the square edges? The more research I do, I seems like the vw radios that fit, are often referred to as ‘pre facelift’ or 2003-2009 models. My Cali is a 2015 model (from 2014, but sold as an 2015 model)

What gives? It makes it almost impossible to do online searches, because I only end up with regular t5’s.

If that is your dashboard in post #3
then you have got the square edges.

If that is your dashboard in post #3
then you have got the square edges.

Exactly. I’m just trying to figure out why the only vw replacements, are models that are much older then the car. Was the eu comfortline dash, a way of vw to get rid of the last old square edge models? I’m just wondering. And most of all, I’m super disappointed, that I can’t install the rcd330 sitting on my table.

Ouch, thanks for this thread.
I was just about to pull the trigger on a rcd330 for my comfortline 2015 van!

How did you get on @Northbridge ?

Ouch, thanks for this thread.
I was just about to pull the trigger on a rcd330 for my comfortline 2015 van!

How did you get on @Northbridge ?

I dropped it. There's wasn't any logical or affordable alternative.
In a final fit if rage, I gave it a try, and was just about to put a hacksaw to some of the fitting, which would lead me to produce some kind of external fitting with a 3d printer afterwards.

But I didn't do it. I got a refund on eBay, bought a phone with a huge screen and (this is actually a lifehack :) ) a phone holder that goes in the cd-slot. It's not an touch screen head unit, but it works.

Ok, i need some more help with my 5.1 comfortline dash please.

I started a thread explaining my radio interference/noise here

I got the reply that i might be an earth problem, but in order to check it, i need to remove my radio from the dash.

@Northbridge and others, could you explain how i can remove my radio? I really can’t find the way to remove the trim from my dash :Nailbiting, can’t find it on google or youtube.

i colour coded the pictures to make it easier to talk about !
thanks for the help :thumb

Sorry to unearth this old thread but I'm in the same sad place than @threetone and @Northbridge years later. I got a replacement head unit but I can't find instructions on how to remove the trim in order to tuck the (many) extra cables. Thread here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/android-radio-replacement-dilemna.43736/#post-578577
Lots of info on the "regular" 2 pieces fascia but none for this version.
I already removed a dozen torx screws around the head-unit hole but the trim doesn't move at all.
I found an additional torx screw on the passenger side (LHD model) but I can't remove the big piece next to the steering wheel to try on see if there is additional ones on the other side.

This is impossible to put the new unit without tucking the cables and impossible to tuck them without removing the support and trim...
If anybody can help at least for the steering wheel side trim removal, that would help me keep my sanity!

IMG_20220510_192153.jpg

Sorry to unearth this old thread but I'm in the same sad place than @threetone and @Northbridge years later. I got a replacement head unit but I can't find instructions on how to remove the trim in order to tuck the (many) extra cables. Thread here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/android-radio-replacement-dilemna.43736/#post-578577
Lots of info on the "regular" 2 pieces fascia but none for this version.
I already removed a dozen torx screws around the head-unit hole but the trim doesn't move at all.
I found an additional torx screw on the passenger side (LHD model) but I can't remove the big piece next to the steering wheel to try on see if there is additional ones on the other side.

This is impossible to put the new unit without tucking the cables and impossible to tuck them without removing the support and trim...
If anybody can help at least for the steering wheel side trim removal, that would help me keep my sanity!

View attachment 92871
Any use?

Back