Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to prevent driving off with hook up attached?

What alarm? I've never heard it, probably because I've never started the van when hooked up.....
Try it! Start the engine when on hookup. It is like the alarm when you start the engine with the roof still up. A sound and a notification in your camper control unit.

Try it! Start the engine when on hookup. It is like the alarm when you start the engine with the roof still up. A sound and a notification in your camper control unit.
Not applicable to Beach owners. No control panel so no alarm.

Not applicable to Beach owners. No control panel so no alarm.

Good point , can Beach owners give some intel on if there is a signal or not?

@bvddobb , some have reported they managed even driving off with the rear boothdoor open and things sliding out .....:D
knock on wood it will not happen to me!

Good point , can Beach owners give some intel on if there is a signal or not?

@bvddobb , some have reported they managed even driving off with the rear boothdoor open and things sliding out .....:D
knock on wood it will not happen to me!
Definitely no signal to let you know you are hooked up. Just need to get into a habit of something to remind you or a final walk around so you don't miss it.

Alarm only sounds when power is being supplied. If the supply is switched off, or the cable unplugged from the supply no alarm sounds.

No one has mentioned that when you remove the EHU, ensure that the flap that covers the socket is pushed securely into place. I can't be the only one who looks in the left hand mirror and sees the cover flapping up and down if you do more than 30mph.

No one has mentioned that when you remove the EHU, ensure that the flap that covers the socket is pushed securely into place. I can't be the only one who looks in the left hand mirror and sees the cover flapping up and down if you do more than 30mph.

That i had many times ....:headbang
And others on here reported this also , we are not allone Simon:D

That i had many times ....:headbang
And others on here reported this also , we are not allone Simon:D

Me too.... Plus anyone else admit to having driven away and heard a different clattering noise and discovered they had left the strap for the Brandrup water filler still slotted into the awning rail...it makes quite a racket if you go fast enough :eek:

It happens from time to time and is very annoying!

I'd simply wire something to 240v to light inside.
I use a small light inside to have a vision if hookup is powered. Can use it as a reminder you are still hooked up.

I take on board what you have all said but VW have a duty of care and it does not give them the right to fob you off my fear of driving off with a lead still plugged in , I take on board Welsh Gas says his gives a warning that's all I am asking my point is every other vehicle made wont let you drive away its down to construction and use regulations and codes of practice looking at my auto trail wiring diagram all they do is when the mains is plugged in it is stops it from starting , remove the lead and it starts simples or buy a T5 that makes a sound what's changed

I take on board what you have all said but VW have a duty of care and it does not give them the right to fob you off my fear of driving off with a lead still plugged in , I take on board Welsh Gas says his gives a warning that's all I am asking my point is every other vehicle made wont let you drive away its down to construction and use regulations and codes of practice looking at my auto trail wiring diagram all they do is when the mains is plugged in it is stops it from starting , remove the lead and it starts simples or buy a T5 that makes a sound what's changed

The driver must take responsibility for somethings I happy with how mine is re plug in and if I cock it up then it is down to me

Got a sign that I put over the dials in the instrument cluster - warning do not drive away plugged in!. In bright colour and laminated - maybe I should add it to my shop.

Got a sign that I put over the dials in the instrument cluster - warning do not drive away plugged in!. In bright colour and laminated - maybe I should add it to my shop.
I've done the same ..... Just need to remember to put it on the dash!

Back