Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to get the tambour roof shutter open...

Really good point about the webbing extension piece #perfectos. I hadn't realised it full function but just been out and 'popped' and lowered and it does indeed help secure canvas away from the buckle. I have also found moving both sets of zips up a few inches takes them away from the fold of the canvas and away from the tambour slides and so makes both opening and closing the tambour less problematical.

Very interesting, i will be all over mine tomorrow testing different bits. Will see if i have any issues with the roof as like you i ordered the panoramic window.

Ours was really hard to move too - I think its due to it all being new.
Once its slid open its then quite a physical effort to push the roof up having unclipped it & opened a window - again I think it will ease with time - once it goes it does lift on its own but its like lifting quite a heavy weight at the gym above your head!!
Im stuck on working out the remote heater control - got the manual out & think it must be programmed on air con - need a degree to sort all this lot out!
Seat covers next - thank goodness they should hopefully be straight forward as bought the 2nd skins!

On handover day our shutter was so tight I had to get the salesman out of his covid secure showroom to open it. He wasn't too happy about it either!
After being used a few times now its getting easier.

Hi Alison.

also have the panoramic roof and found it quite a fight to open the sliding door the first time, despite the van having been a demo. It is all due to the way the canvas is folded when packing away. I found it needed a combination of wiggling side to side while pushing backwards, once you can get a finger in at the front it is easier but yes, tight at first.

if you are worried about opening, closing was a shock. The clips are very tight and I needed to hang on the bar to get it to close. Sure these things improve with time, use and experience.

Ours was really hard to move too - I think its due to it all being new.
Once its slid open its then quite a physical effort to push the roof up having unclipped it & opened a window - again I think it will ease with time - once it goes it does lift on its own but its like lifting quite a heavy weight at the gym above your head!!
Im stuck on working out the remote heater control - got the manual out & think it must be programmed on air con - need a degree to sort all this lot out!
Seat covers next - thank goodness they should hopefully be straight forward as bought the 2nd skins!
I reprogrammed mine to heat immediately around level 5 for 120 mins before leaving the dealer. Remote worked y’day and was toasty warm 20 mins later.

2021 Beach walkround of spec but no roof details. Useful clarification on spec. of Beach versions.

I know this wont help with your door issue, but gives some useful shots of the manual roof mechanism. The Coast in the video looks to have the Pano Window, as you can see the zips. Might be of use to someone, if they haven't already seen it.

I know this wont help with your door issue, but gives some useful shots of the manual roof mechanism. The Coast in the video looks to have the Pano Window, as you can see the zips. Might be of use to someone, if they haven't already seen it.
Jump to 3:29 for the manual roof section.

Thanks for the tips. I managed to open the hatch. On reclosing it is clearly the zips causing it to be tight.
It’s warmer today, I had the heater on and also ‘tapped’ the tambour near the clips.
It’s still raining so a full opening will wait for another day.
Thanks everyone :thumb

Not promoting an argument - but the Hydraulic Roof does have one thing going for it - you don’t have to open the hatch to open it! :talktothehand:mute:mute
Not an option on UK Beach or I would have selected it. Despite the views on pop vs motorised.

The first time I slid back the tambour on my 6.1 Beach was a nightmare, got easier and easier especially if you tuck the webbing and canvas away neatly before closing it

I reprogrammed mine to heat immediately around level 5 for 120 mins before leaving the dealer. Remote worked y’day and was toasty warm 20 mins later.
Im clearly having issues getting my heater sussed so off to watch some online videos now

Not promoting an argument - but the Hydraulic Roof does have one thing going for it - you don’t have to open the hatch to open it! :talktothehand:mute:mute
That's a very good plus point for the electric roof. Just raise it a little to reduce the pressure on the hatch tambour before opening.
There's just not enough room, with the new you panoramic front, for what's been asked to stored in the space availible. Careful packing away when closing the roof is obviously going to required for to avoid problems.

I totally agree. But would like to follow @WelshGas thoughts and not start a discussion on this thread.

Yes i do. My zips were 3/4 way up on drivers side. After reading on here i was expecting a fight but it slid back no problem.
Good to know that there is a working method of getting it all tucked away without causing jamming issues. I think there is scope for a fresh YouTube video for a tried and tested folding technique !:thumb

Good to know that there is a working method of getting it all tucked away without causing jamming issues. I think there is scope for a fresh YouTube video for a tried and tested folding technique !:thumb
Its definitely a tight squeeze up there & I cant see how an internal Isotop fits even taking out the front section piece.
The fastening buckles are stiff.
Im finding I have to pull the handle hanging all my weight on it.
Hopefully the knack will become 2nd nature.
Finally sussed the auxillary heater.
Just the awning & stowed away table & chairs to check now.
Its endless & think Im missing my service record, & have found a strap in the cutlery drawer not sure what its for?!

Its definitely a tight squeeze up there & I cant see how an internal Isotop fits even taking out the front section piece.
The fastening buckles are stiff.
Im finding I have to pull the handle hanging all my weight on it.
Hopefully the knack will become 2nd nature.
Finally sussed the auxillary heater.
Just the awning & stowed away table & chairs to check now.
Its endless & think Im missing my service record, & have found a strap in the cutlery drawer not sure what its for?!
Glad it’s not just me swinging from the bar!

@Jenny H - is the strap in the cutlery drawer the one for the table (when it’s along the seats to make a larger kitchen work surface)?

Back