Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to get 1200 Watts converter ?

erik.godderis

erik.godderis

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Does anyone have experience with (safe) converting to 1200 watts so I can use the NESPRESSO off grid?
Sorry I love a good coffee in the morning.

Only when hooked up. At home I prefer this one :
i-7X5B554-S.jpg

Even if you were able to fit an inverter that was able to do that it would drain the leisures so fast as to make them dead as door nails before you had got through making your second coffee. Just use an Aeropress like the rest of us coffee lovers. There is a pretty sound reason why the inverter tops out at 300W for the newer Calis. If you're that desperate take a power station but then most of those also top out at 1000W. So....

Final option but I can imagine it tastes terrible:

There are several users on the German forum using Nespresso machines on their 1200 to 1500 watt invertors. This kind of power can still (just about) be drawn from the two leisure batteries in an Ocean. You only need the power for a few minutes to make your coffee, so you could have more than ten coffees before the batteries are flat.

VW Campercentrum in Amersfoort (NL) do a full install of a 1500 W invertor under the righthand seat for about 1 k€. As a DIY project it would require quite a bit of research: you will need quite thick and short cabling for the 1500 / 12 = 125 ampere max current. Probably 150 A because of inefficiency in the invertor.

Does anyone have experience with (safe) converting to 1200 watts so I can use the NESPRESSO off grid?
Current x Volts = Watts

A x 240 = 1200 . Therefore A = 5 amps.

However the Inverter converts 12v to 240 volts, so to give 5 amps at 240 volts your Inverter will use
Amps x 12 = 1200, current used will be 100 amps.

Not going to do your Leisure Batteries much good I'm afraid.

I just don’t get the amount of effort people put into using coffee machines in the Cali?

Pot of coffee on the hob. Make it up the night before. Wake up, light the hob, done.

I just don’t get the amount of effort people put into using coffee machines in the Cali?

Pot of coffee on the hob. Make it up the night before. Wake up, light the hob, done.
I was wondering if it was only me thinking that, Aeropress is as much effort time allows work or play in the Cali.

I'm in the "do whatever it takes" camp. I think with some fiddling a Moka coffee is probably good enough if a bit messy. I see attraction of a Nespresso from a mess and convenience perspective but the underlying physics doesn't make it an easy off grid solution.

There are several users on the German forum using Nespresso machines on their 1200 to 1500 watt invertors. This kind of power can still (just about) be drawn from the two leisure batteries in an Ocean. You only need the power for a few minutes to make your coffee, so you could have more than ten coffees before the batteries are flat.

VW Campercentrum in Amersfoort (NL) do a full install of a 1500 W invertor under the righthand seat for about 1 k€. As a DIY project it would require quite a bit of research: you will need quite thick and short cabling for the 1500 / 12 = 125 ampere max current. Probably 150 A because of inefficiency in the invertor.
A detailed plan would be great. In the initial video, the put a extra Lithium battery under de passengers seat.

A detailed plan would be great. In the initial video, the put a extra Lithium battery under de passengers seat.
Here’s six pages of reading, for a start:

One thing to note: some people that start with a big invertor seem to end up investing in a complete electrical refit. Lithium batteries, booster charger, large solar panels, the works. An alternative are the Ecoflow standalone lithium batteries, yet another thing to carry around.

Nothing beats the smell and sound of a good mokka pot on the stove. Plus a small Nespresso machine for convenience when on hookup.

Last edited:
Final option but I can imagine it tastes terrible:

I use one of these on site - uses 60mm pods or whatever coffee you want to put in the holder.
You get about 3 cups out of a 18v 5AH battery pack & it takes about 4 minutes per cup.
I have loads of those battery packs laying around as they are used in all my Makita gear. I have the makita 12v - 18v charger, it's slow but will do in an emergency.
The 240v charger does 2 of the 5AH batteries in half an hour.
Theres a decent tyre pump & torches etc that also use the same battery.

If you've already got the batteries & charger it's worth buying the coffee machine. If you havn't it works out pretty expensive.

I use one of these on site - uses 60mm pods or whatever coffee you want to put in the holder.
You get about 3 cups out of a 18v 5AH battery pack & it takes about 4 minutes per cup.
I have loads of those battery packs laying around as they are used in all my Makita gear. I have the makita 12v - 18v charger, it's slow but will do in an emergency.

If you've already got the batteries & charger it's worth buying the coffee machine. If you havn't it works out pretty expensive.
Also available in Fontana Red :Iamsorry

If your battery is low and it stops whilst putting a screw in, there's a trick.
Slide the battery out about 3mm as though you are going to remove it and you
can squeeze some extra juice from the battery.

You could also take a diesel genny with you - like another poster seemed to think was a great idea the other week. Then while enjoying your drink you can collect glares from the poor campers around you while inhaling diesel and coffee fumes….

I am sure you searched for "inverter" in the search box than "coffee" . Search for coffee and you will get many elegant solutions as coffee is the problem you are trying to solve.

I think there no easy solution to use the Nespresso of grid.
So this will do it ( it is on my Chris-mass gift list):
BIALETTI

i-KMtTzPW-S.jpg
It's a solution that I find acceptable. If these things matter to you bialetti also do a stainless steel version ( search Venus)

Ask @chockswahay to update his thread with the latest Moka tips. Hint good Moka coffee is not straight forward.

For a Nespresso machine you need a pure sine inverter and not a modified one. I have a 1500watt one in mine and works well and not too bad on the batteries.
Dit you installed a extra battery?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A536B met Tapatalk

For a Nespresso machine you need a pure sine inverter and not a modified one. I have a 1500watt one in mine and works well and not too bad on the batteries.
Typically the thermoblock is driven by a triac, so what you have essentially is a heater attached to a leading edge dimmer.

This can load your inverter heavily for part of each cycle and therefore overload your inverter even though you are drawing less than its rated power on average.

Zero watts required for this Nespresso machine