Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to fit B pillar decals

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I'm looking at getting some gloss black decals to cover the B pillar, a la:

The advice on the listings is to get someone professional to fit them, although some people get on fine with it. Can anyone enlighten me as to how these are actually fitted? Hopefully that should help me decide whether I want to give it a go myself. If I don't, who would be an appropriate professional to get these fitted? A bodyshop? A detailer? I can see fitting costing more than the decals... Thanks!

I'm looking at getting some gloss black decals to cover the B pillar, a la:

The advice on the listings is to get someone professional to fit them, although some people get on fine with it. Can anyone enlighten me as to how these are actually fitted? Hopefully that should help me decide whether I want to give it a go myself. If I don't, who would be an appropriate professional to get these fitted? A bodyshop? A detailer? I can see fitting costing more than the decals... Thanks!

Some members have fitted themselves, some have tried & given up! We had ours, along with others items fitted by Vanstyle. They did a great job, it’s free fitting but you would have to wait & travel to Nottingham. They are always really busy, it took 3 months from order to fitting for us, but we would definitely use them again.

E99D98B4-5C88-469B-8762-38C6CFFA2193.jpeg

The decals are fairly easy to fit

Thanks - Vanstyle aren't far from us, although I'd be happier fitting hard plastic myself than decals. The extra expense vs decals would only be offset if I had to pay someone to fit the decals.

Are the decals self-adhesive like stickers, or the type you wet first and slide into place (or something else entirely!)?

Tell that to Boris, he’s a very savvy guy but even he gave up in disgust:(
Well I have purchased some more and intend to have another go. I am inclined to think that the problem last time was down to the temperature, both ambient and also that of the bodywork. The issue was that when the protective film was removed it left a horrid random pattern on the shiny decal. It looked awful. So long story short, I won't be attempting another fit until we get a warmish day. There may be quite a wait! If I don't get a satisfactory finish next time I will bin both the idea and the decals.

BTW, I did use a hairdryer set to warm last time but to no avail.

Well we actually had some sunshine today. I was beginning to think we'd seen the last of it. Anyway, as it was warmish enough, I decided to have another go at fitting the second set of black shiny B post decals. The last ones had very strange random patterns all over them. Today's fitting presented no issues and here's the result. I also fitted some Dubflectas as well.

20200306_124546.jpg
View attachment 56029
20200306_175017.jpg
Whilst the finished result is miles better that last time, I'm still not that bowled over by the surface finnish. The above photo shows the O/S B post with decal fitted. It still has a mottled appearance and there were several lines across the finnish. You can just see one where I have indicated. This time I warmed the bodywork with Mrs B's hairdryer and warmed the vinyl as I peeled the protective paper away. I also peeled the protective paper off in one go without stopping so that didn't cause the marks. Is this sort of finnish normal?

I've left these latest decals in place even though I'm not that happy with them. I can always remove them later.

Last edited:
Well we actually had some sunshine today. I was beginning to think we'd seen the last of it. Anyway, as it was warmish enough, I decided to have another go at fitting the second set of black shiny B post decals. The last ones had very strange random patterns all over them. Today's fitting presented no issues and here's the result. I also fitted some Dubflectas as well.

View attachment 56028
View attachment 56029
View attachment 56030
Whilst the finished result is miles better that last time, I'm still not that bowled over by the surface finnish. The above photo shows the O/S B post with decal fitted. It still has a mottled appearance and there were several lines across the finnish. You can just see one where I have indicated. This time I warmed the bodywork with Mrs B's hairdryer and warmed the vinyl as I peeled the protective paper away. I also peeled the protective paper off in one go without stopping so that didn't cause the marks. Is this sort of finnish normal?

I've left these latest decals in place even though I'm not that happy with them. I can always remove them later.
Van looks great Borris, I was thinking of adding these to my van but not sure now, without being rude have the decals left a slight orange peel effect on the surface a bit like a poor respray and can anyone confirm if that is normal.

How long did it take to complete both sides?

Van looks great Borris, I was thinking of adding these to my van but not sure now, without being rude have the decals left a slight orange peel effect on the surface a bit like a poor respray and can anyone confirm if that is normal.

How long did it take to complete both sides?
You are not being rude. Orange peel effect is an excellent description. There are also other lines and marks as previously stated. I am 99% certain that these flaws are nothing to do with how I applied the decals. I don't know if I'm being over fussy but if this is the kind of effect one can expect, then vinyl wrapping isn't for me. The only thing I can add is that it doesn't damage the vehicle and can easily be removed. I will put up with it for now.

I took about 45 minutes per side but I was being very meticulous to avoid a repeat of attempt number one.

Where did you get those from, @Borris?
The club shop sells them. There are three options from memory, shiny black, matt black and carbon fibre effect I think. The good thing is that they aren't expensive.

You are not being rude. Orange peel effect is an excellent description. There are also other lines and marks as previously stated. I am 99% certain that these flaws are nothing to do with how I applied the decals. I don't know if I'm being over fussy but if this is the kind of effect one can expect, then vinyl wrapping isn't for me. The only thing I can add is that it doesn't damage the vehicle and can easily be removed. I will put up with it for now.

I took about 45 minutes per side but I was being very meticulous to avoid a repeat of attempt number one.
It’s disappointing for you that you are not 100% satisfied after all your efforts Boris. We are very happy with ours, no orange peel / marks, possibly there is a difference in the quality sold by different outlets or maybe we’ve been lucky as ours were professionally fitted?

It’s disappointing for you that you are not 100% satisfied after all your efforts Boris. We are very happy with ours, no orange peel / marks, possibly there is a difference in the quality sold by different outlets or maybe we’ve been lucky as ours were professionally fitted?
What is the surface finnish like on your decals?

Maybe the original VW ones they fit to Editions are better? I guess the B pillars could also be wrapped quite cheaply and effectively.

Did you use any heat, the finish looks great.
I pre-warmed the bodywork with a hairdryer until it was no longer cold. I also applied a little heat to the vinyl as I removed the protective outer covering.

Did you use any heat, the finish looks great.

I used a hair dryer to slightly warm the panel and also the decal. Use a felt edge applicator to apply and kept heating the decal as this helps with the adhesion. When you come to wrap the edges around the door edge and also finish off behind the glass the heat allows the decal to mould to the curves etc.

I’d really like some of these and on the cusp of buying some. I’ve read about putting one edge under the door window seal, could someone please explain how much of the decal folds around the door edge or other exposed areas? If any. And if anyone has visited a pro, how much were they to fit? TIA

I’d really like some of these and on the cusp of buying some. I’ve read about putting one edge under the door window seal, could someone please explain how much of the decal folds around the door edge or other exposed areas? If any. And if anyone has visited a pro, how much were they to fit? TIA

The Club Shop ones have a tapered edge to the upper and lower edges which indicate the point which will align to the door edge and makes a neat finish. If you have then in front of you and offer then up to the panel you will see how they work.

View attachment 56028
View attachment 56029
View attachment 56030

Hi Boris
Have you tried applying a bit a wax polish to the surface (if the wax is supplied in a plastic container it safe for vinyl) it may remove the light marks and improve the finish.

Fitted the matt black ones from the club shop last weekend. It’s a fairly easy job but you just need to take your time and align them properly.

Hi, would you mind sharing where you got your window wind deflectors from?

We've been quoted £90 + vat to supply and fit.