Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How To Change the Camper Control Unit

This was very helpful when we changed out our control unit for a faulty button. However - a word of warning - our unit was different from shown in the video (and they might even mention it in the vid). Our control unit had a plastic tab/ tang on each side AND two on the top of the unit. Result - pulled the unit out, the fascia popped off with the force and one of the flex cables was damaged. We'd paid £34 for a new fascia and button off the forum - which is a great deal. Fortunately, we were recommended to a auto-electronic garage in town and he dispatched the unit to an expert in PCB fixes. Three days later and for £54 the unit returned fully functional. A bit of a hassle but a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Faulty CCU potentiometer knob/button. Didn't fancy paying VW a fortune to replace the entire van interior, so:
1. Purchased a CCU fascia complete with knob/button here for £39.50.
2. Followed the CCU removal instructions in this video.
ISSUE: There are two tangs at the top of the CU, shown but not discussed in the video. I used a credit card and some patience to release those by squeezing the card into the top fascia gap. Not quick, but persevere.

Instead of a straight CU replacement, as in the video, I needed an extra few steps to replace the knob/button:
3. Released its 6 plastic fascia tangs to detach it from the CCU, using the same guitar pick I used to release the CCU tangs from the housing (pretty straightforward). This reveals a PCB fastened to the fascia by 4 screws. ISSUE: Screws are not slot head or Phillips, or any star/Allen key I have. Fortunately, a small electronics slot head screwdriver did the trick.
4. Unscrewed the PCB from the fascia (with care - it's a PCB - do not slip - do not burr the screw 'slots').
5. Removed the broken knob/button from the fascia and dropped in the new one.
6. Putting the whole thing back together is a trivial exercise - 4 PCB screws, then push-fit everything else.

Should you encounter an issue not covered here, the golden rule is do not force anything, plastic and electronics are both pretty delicate.

Abbrev. CCU - Central Control Unit, PCB - Printed Circuit Board.