Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How solid is the floor between your front seats?

P

phil keegan

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Have had a new MY 22 Coast now for 2 months. Found it great for a trip with bikes to Normandy and Brittany in the heatwave. Also ideal for before and after much colder dips in the North Sea!

This forum and online videos have been excellent for answers to most questions
(thanks for those who have given their advice).

Fortunately we’ve not identified any major concerns yet despite the problems identified by others on this forum.

We use the side door a lot in tight parking spaces and have noticed the floor between the driver and passenger seats does seem to be quite ‘spongy’ underfoot compared with the inside of the rest of the van.

Just wondering if this is normal or might it merit a bit of investigation? I guess it’s a good sign we haven’t got anything worse to worry about!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had a new MY 22 Coast now for 2 months. Found it great for a trip with bikes to Normandy and Brittany in the heatwave. Also ideal for before and after much colder dips in the North Sea!

Fortunately we’ve not identified any major concerns yet despite the problems identified by others on this forum.

We use the side door a lot in tight parking spaces and have noticed the floor between the driver and passenger seats does seem to be quite ‘spongy’ underfoot compared with the inside of the rest of the van.

Just wondering if this is normal or might it merit a bit of investigation? I guess it’s a good sign we haven’t got anything worse to worry about!

Thanks

Normal. A number of wires go from one seat base to the other. To protect them there is a thick foam composite block with cut outs for the wiring, hence the spongy feeling.

Normal. A number of wires go from one seat base to the other. To protect them there is a thick foam composite block with cut outs for the wiring, hence the spongy feeling.

Thanks - much appreciated

Yes its normal
I questioned it with the garage as I was concerned I'd trap a toe in the gap between the carpetand the rear flooring(if it us going to happen to anyone it's me) and was told its normal. I have since fitted a carpet over the joint which has made it less of a hazard for me

We have a 9litre Really Usefull Box there. Perfect fit between the passenger seat and handbreak. Good storage for books, maps and notepads.
That’s a great idea Elly we have just ordered one, ideal for ACSI and Aires books, which currently sit in the doors ….and sometimes fall out!

We have a 9litre Really Usefull Box there. Perfect fit between the passenger seat and handbreak. Good storage for books, maps and notepads.

I like to keep the gap clear so if necessary we can park in standard sized parking spaces and get out the side door.

We like to keep the space clear so we can easily walk through from front to back (surely that’s the point). I too have sometimes thought it a bit springy but as our Fiat was much the same haven’t really concerned myself about it).

I like to keep the gap clear so if necessary we can park in standard sized parking spaces and get out the side door.

It’s very easy to move it out of the way (forwards or back) or step over it. I often move from front to back and vice versa.

Thanks

We have a converted 5.1 Kombi with the original rubber floor in the cab.

Prior to conversion, I heard a distinct 'crunch' while walking through the area you mentioned between the driver and passenger seat.

When pushed, there was a distinct give in the rubber floor - more than you'd expect, so I asked the convertor to take a look while working on the van.

On collecting it, I was informed that a sheet beneath the rubber floor had broken so it was replaced with a more robust panel.

If you look online, you'll find photos of the Transporter cab floor which I assume is the same as the California. There's a channel between the seats and I guess when stood on, this is what caused the crunch that I heard.

It's sorted now.

Back