Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How long did your brake discs last before needing replacement?

Tactical

Tactical

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've got a 2014 180PS DSG T5 which has done 35,000 miles.

The front brake discs look in very good condition with a smooth and evenly worn surface. The front pads are the originals and have about 6mm remaining.

The rear discs are more worn and, one in particular, has a very a worn, uneven surface. The rear pads are the originals and are down to about 3mm so will need changing soon.

I think 35,000 miles is very low mileage for disc replacement.

I'd be interested to know how long your discs lasted please?

Also, is it usual for the rear pads and discs to wear faster than the front? I assumed it would be the other way around.

80,000 miles,big brakes on mine, still original no signs of needing changing soon.

This is common with modern braking set ups (not specifically the Cali) and 35,000 compared to some cars is probably quite good.

The issue is that due to brake pad formation changes over the last decades (asbestos gone) the pads are harder and the discs are softer and wear more, as the rear discs have light use they corrode more (this happens on the front but normal braking removes the corrosion) and this leads to accelerated wear.

Manufacturers will consider this disc wear normal (as it was with pads).

To remove this rear disc corrosion you need to regularly give it some very hard braking.

Last edited:
2014 180. 52,000 miles and going strong. Last service, at 40,000 miles pads not even half worn. All disks look the same with no abnormal wearing or Corrosion. It is a daily driver.

... as the rear discs have light use they corrode more (this happens on the front but normal braking removes the corrosion) and this leads to accelerated wear.

To remove this rear disc corrosion you need to regularly give it some very hard braking.

I'm sure now that this is the key and it's backed up here http://www.vwtmag.com/tech-guides/replace-rear-discs-and-pads-on-a-t5-1072 (first 2 paragraphs).

I've noticed more corrosion on the rear discs and, due to a protracted house move and new home renovation, the van has had less frequent use on trips over the past year. There's only one remedy for that... :)

Mine are just having to be replaced at approx 34,000. Not cheap at main dealer either :(

Had my rears replaced at about 44k. Fronts are still the original

Back