Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How far is too far?

Graham T

Graham T

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Here’s a silly question for a Monday morning. I wonder how far people have travelled to collect their Calis (and are we mad)? We live in Britain’s most easterly point, on the Norfolk coast and, after much deliberation, have ordered our T6.1 Coast from Liverpool Van Centre. So, according to Google Maps that’s 268 miles away, but we thought what the heck, it’s not a bad starting point to get to some lovely places and we’ll head straight from the forecourt, onto our first adventure! Anyone gone further?

I assume you didn't get the deal you were after with Robinson's at Norwich? That's who I bought from.

I’m afraid not @subthree :(. That would’ve made life a lot simpler wouldn’t it. We’re actually quite looking forward to the journey and turning into a few days away but a quick 40 minute trip up the road would have been nice. Just couldn’t ignore the difference in the end. Hey ho.

I live near Oxford but bought van from Newcastle. Unfortunately we were on holiday in west Devon when it came up for sale so took the train to view and drove it back to Devon to continue the holiday.....
820 mile round trip. 22 hours with food breaks and power naps.
No where's was too far for the look on the children's faces when they woke up to find 'Poppy' had arrived!

We are in Surrey and when shopping around for a pre-reg T6, ended up getting the best deal from Liverpool. They were great and offered to deliver to us; I know it's not everyone's preference but we couldn't get there due to work commitments.

We are in Surrey and when shopping around for a pre-reg T6, ended up getting the best deal from Liverpool. They were great and offered to deliver to us; I know it's not everyone's preference but we couldn't get there due to work commitments.
Makes total sense. We're trying to think of it as free mileage, to be on the doorstep of maybe the Lake District, Peak District (or wherever we end up) without having to drive the Cali there from deepest, darkest East Anglia. Now, whether there'll be anywhere available to book and pitch up by then is another question. :rolleyes:

@Drpps You win!! I feel like a total amateur now. Lol :)
I should also say this was a private sale, rather than a dealer, 3 years ago and even then vans were going within a few hours of being posted, so no real choice to wait if the van was right.

I am collecting from Crawley which is 343.5miles in each direction. I plan to get the train in the morning leaving on the 06:38 three changes and a taxi later i should arrive at the Van center for 12:30. hopefully finished and away by 13:30 then its a 5 hour 55 min drive back so allowing for 2 x 30 minute stops i should be home for 20:30 so a 14 hour trip. I would love to meander back and take my time but as the van will have nothing in it i will just have to press on and buy my tea and sandwiches at the services.

My next van is coming from Cumbria. I live on the south coast. 341 miles.

My last van I picked up from just around the corner, Droitwitch, :)

It's a brilliant way to play with the new love in your life, you can develop quite a relationship by the time you get home!

Last edited:
I am collecting from Crawley which is 343.5miles in each direction. I plan to get the train in the morning leaving on the 06:38 three changes and a taxi later i should arrive at the Van center for 12:30. hopefully finished and away by 13:30 then its a 5 hour 55 min drive back so allowing for 2 x 30 minute stops i should be home for 20:30 so a 14 hour trip. I would love to meander back and take my time but as the van will have nothing in it i will just have to press on and buy my tea and sandwiches at the services.
And there was me, thinking we were embarking on some epic voyage! Haha, what a fraud. :confused: Can't wait until we're in a position to plan our train tickets and stuff. Hope you enjoy it (I'm sure you will).

Here’s a silly question for a Monday morning. I wonder how far people have travelled to collect their Calis (and are we mad)? We live in Britain’s most easterly point, on the Norfolk coast and, after much deliberation, have ordered our T6.1 Coast from Liverpool Van Centre. So, according to Google Maps that’s 268 miles away, but we thought what the heck, it’s not a bad starting point to get to some lovely places and we’ll head straight from the forecourt, onto our first adventure! Anyone gone further?
Why not? Treat it as an adventure. Go by train if possible and take a posh picnic.

I would have no qualms about going hundreds of miles to collect a vehicle if it was a really great deal. However that would only apply to a new vehicle which should always be fault free. However do discuss the handover with the garage before you go and tell them that you will require a full comprehensive handover by the person you have dealt with in person. Tell them that you are very fussy so if there are any faults it may result in a rejection. I believe the Liverpool Van Centre has a good reputation on the forum so everything should be fine. If there are any issues on the day it will be down to the garage to resolve to your satisfaction.

The main issue that will occur is where to get it serviced as returning to Liverpool would be impractical.

Don't be tempted to have it delivered.

My next van is coming from Cumbria. I live on the south coast. 341 miles.

My last van I picked up from joust around the corner, Droitwitch, :)

It's a brilliant way to play with the new love in your life, you can develop quite a relationship by the time you get home!
Starting to wish I hadn't asked. Each story is making our collection (when it comes) sound more like just nipping round the corner. :mute Great point about getting to know the new addition to the family though. :agreed

Why not? Treat it as an adventure. Go by train if possible and take a posh picnic.

I would have no qualms about going hundreds of miles to collect a vehicle if it was a really great deal. However that would only apply to a new vehicle which should always be fault free. However do discuss the handover with the garage before you go and tell them that you will require a full comprehensive handover by the person you have dealt with in person. Tell them that you are very fussy so if there are any faults it may result in a rejection. I believe the Liverpool Van Centre has a good reputation on the forum so everything should be fine. If there are any issues on the day it will be down to the garage to resolve to your satisfaction.

The main issue that will occur is where to get it serviced as returning to Liverpool would be impractical.

Don't be tempted to have it delivered.
Good advice, thank you. And I am "very fussy".

Good advice, thank you. And I am "very fussy".
We do have a VW van centre, just 20 odd miles up the road, so they're welcome to the service work. Just a shame they couldn't come even close on the deal. :(

We do have a VW van centre, just 20 odd miles up the road, so they're welcome to the service work. Just a shame they couldn't come even close on the deal. :(
If it's Robinsons of Lowestoft, I once bought a lwb T4 van from them. I caught the train from Canterbury to collect it. It was a great day out with a great drive back. Btw it was one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

I picked my van up from VW in Hamburg. No idea how many miles that is from Aberdeen, where I was at the time.

Ipswich to Liverpool Van centre so roughly the same mileage as you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mere 202 miles from London to Liverpool van centre. Another thumbs up for the train one way. In precovid times we enjoyed the scouse hospitality in the city centre overnight and then took the local train out to VW.

650kms ICE train 1st class with a bag full of food and water,
30 minute paperwork and handover and then cruised home :Stig

I would do it again, its all part of the joy. The food was sublime and the
drive was resplendent.

I have you all beat. I live in Dallas TX and will be picking my Cali up from the dealer in Amsterdam in the Autumn