Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hopefully going to order a California on Saturday

TomSawyer

TomSawyer

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi,

I've been googling a lot about Californias recently to try to get a better understanding of the basic spec and options and in lots of occasions the search has taken me to this forum. I've joined so I can see the photos and the like and the joining process has asked me to post an introduction so here goes.

I'm in my late 40s with 3 kids (19, 17 and 13) and we've always liked the outdoors. Before the kids, we would go away every Saturday afternoon to the mountains, pitch the tent, have a pub meal and get up on the hill early before heading home Sunday afternoon. We fancy starting to do a bit more of that but neither of us sleep as well on the ground as we used to, hence the California.

In later years, we may want to spend longer periods (a week or more) in it, but for the time being, we see it as a hit and run vehicle. What we may do is book a week's accommodation somewhere and take 3 days to get there with the California, and 3 days to get back, stopping at a different place each night, but we see it as a tent on wheels rather than a home from home if that makes sense.

We think specifying it so it doesn't "scream" camper van is our thing and we want it to be able to go anywhere our current car will. Given the hit and run nature of our weekends, we also think for now we'll spend as much time driving it as sleeping in it, so we're looking at a lot of driver based options. Our spec is as follows, appreciate any insights that might be helpful to us.

204PS 4Motion DSG
Diff lock
Hill assist/descent
Discovery Navigation
LED lights - doesn't seem to be a Xenon option
Lights and vision pack - auto wipers is the driver here
Towbar - we'll use a Thule bike rack when necessary
Parking sensors all round
Adaptive cruise
No model badges - don't mind engine as they're common to transporters
No awning
Shower connection - cleaning bikes and boots

Thanks and Best.

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum.

Our Cali is a couple of years old now and specs have changed a bit since that time, but if I were ordering now it would be the 204 4Motion with DSG. I would also have the tow bar for the bike, and would add the adaptive cruise. I might think about whether to have the sat nav option again, but it is nice to have it built in. LED lights are good. I think parking sensors are standard. Not sure what the hill assist does, but it does hold automatically on a hill start anyway as standard. Not sure whether the diff lock is needed, there have been a few discussions on here about it but I have not missed having it. I thought the auto wipers were standard, but maybe not? I personally would not have an awning but Mrs does so over ruled on that! I like the California badges so would definitely have those! Shower connection would be useful.

I am sure whatever the spec you will enjoy your Cali and will not regret it. In fact, I've never seen anyone express regret about getting one! :)

Best of luck and hope you don't have to wait too long for one :thumb

Colin

Hi Tom
Lots of threads on 204 vs 150 and DSG vs manual etc. It's very much a matter of personal preference and size of wallet of course!
You say you have 3 teenage kids - assume they won't be going away with you?! The standard Cali is very much a 4 seater/sleeper, and having two teenage kids myself can testify that as clever as the Cali is, it can be challenging at times!
Good luck
Ross

Hi Tom
Lots of threads on 204 vs 150 and DSG vs manual etc. It's very much a matter of personal preference and size of wallet of course!
You say you have 3 teenage kids - assume they won't be going away with you?! The standard Cali is very much a 4 seater/sleeper, and having two teenage kids myself can testify that as clever as the Cali is, it can be challenging at times!
Good luck
Ross
Thanks Ross. We're guessing most trips just us two, some with three, almost none with 4 and if we need to go with 5, eldest has his own car and tent!

I think without a bike rack or awning, it's hard to tell its a Camper, the roof is very streamlined and well disguised.

I always think they are quite stealthy campers anyway unless you are shrewd enough to spot the offside door or the California badge. I struggle to spot them on the road and I own a beach. That said I am aware the T6 has decals on so if you want to be less obvious then you may want those removed.

I had an awning put on mine in the end and I haven't regretted it, useful little item that gets used far more than I expected.

Welcome , seems you got enough camping experience already from the past .
The Cali will open new doors....

Thanks for the comments. I think we may end up with an awning in time, but even then, probably a drive away awning rather than a wind out.

Ocean or Beach??

We did the deed today:

204 4 motion DSG indium grey
Cascavel black wheels
Diff lock
Hill decent
Tow bar
LEDs
Light and vision pack
AAC
Sports wheel
Nav
Colour dash screen
Dynaudio
Comfort mattress
Shower
Privacy glass

We did the deed today:

204 4 motion DSG indium grey
Cascavel black wheels
Diff lock
Hill decent
Tow bar
LEDs
Light and vision pack
AAC
Sports wheel
Nav
Colour dash screen
Dynaudio
Comfort mattress
Shower
Privacy glass

Hi,

I see that you included Dynaudio. I'm in the process of deciding on a spec and am also considering it. However, there are lots of negative comments on here about it and so I wondered what you think, as someone who has actually lived with it! It's a lot of money so is it worth it? The alternative seems to be to go to an aftermarket place and get them to upgrade the system - I've already rung one of them and the price difference isn't very much but the guy assured me that the quality would be much better....

Will

Hi Will.

Not going to be much help I'm afraid because I can't really say what the standard system would be like to live with.

Between it arriving at the dealer and us picking it up, the saleswoman had used it to demo the system (according to her) to a number of buyers who'd all ordered it on the strength. Ironically, they got a back to back demo on the back of our order, but we never did.

The Dynaudio in the California is not as impressive as some of the premium systems I've heard in cars over the years but I suspect this has more to do with the size of the space and arrangement of the speakers rather than the quality of the kit. The best I can say is that I don't regret it but I have no doubt that there are both worse and better aftermarket systems available.

I had the Dynaudio on a loan Caravelle a few months ago, the sound was only a very marginal improvement on the standard system in the Cali, I would certainly not say it's worth the high option price that VW charge. Nothing like the Meriden system in my bosses Range Rover.

You are outdoors people that love the mountains, and, I suspect, solitude. I can speak with empathy :D

Horsepower and grip, 204 4mo. I have DSG and have not driven a manual box for years so biased but I love it. I would definitely have diff lock and all the hill climb and descent aids going, but then that's just to calm my nerves whilst feeding my penchant for getting as remote and as wild as possible. In 4 years there have probably only been a couple of times when I have said, hand on heart, "I could not have done that without 4WD" but there have been dozens of occasions when the knowledge that I have got it has stopped me reaching for the valium.

Dark nights on dark roads with hazards all around and for me Bright lights are essential hence Xenon's on the current vehicle and LED's on my next. I have vivid memories of returning from Glenbrittle in sleet and driving snow with bits of trees scattered everywhere after another storm and being very thankful.

I have yet to use my Awning, but then I'm also hit and run, rarely stopping more than a couple of nights in one place, mostly day hopping, so it's hardly been relevant to my lifestyle.

It's a bit more than a tent on wheels thankfully, the heater sees to that, but what makes the Cali for me is that whilst being a gorgeous long-distance cruiser with, for me, great comfort it still retains a certain utilitarian ruggedness. I am going through a selection process for my next one and it is the Cali practicality in all weathers and all surfaces that makes me want to order another one again.

I often either wild camp or permissive camp (at places like Britstops) and even though I still have model badges attached it rarely screams "Camper", in fact most people are surprised it is one when I tell them.

Sound systems? I rarely listen to music when driving and have my Bose mini for when stopped so I personally would not pay extra over the standard noise system.

I hunted down a Cali in stock at Coventry to have a listen to the Dynaudio and it was very underwhelming actually. I was really surprised how poor it was considering the cost and hype about it.

Lack of control over the EQ, doors and trim rattling a lot, too muffled and not really any depth to the bass.

We've always opted for the upgraded audio in vehicles before because we love our music but we're not buying it on the Cali. Will need to do something else in due course.

I hunted down a Cali in stock at Coventry to have a listen to the Dynaudio and it was very underwhelming actually. I was really surprised how poor it was considering the cost and hype about it.

Lack of control over the EQ, doors and trim rattling a lot, too muffled and not really any depth to the bass.

We've always opted for the upgraded audio in vehicles before because we love our music but we're not buying it on the Cali. Will need to do something else in due course.
That's really useful to hear thanks

Hi,

I've been googling a lot about Californias recently to try to get a better understanding of the basic spec and options and in lots of occasions the search has taken me to this forum. I've joined so I can see the photos and the like and the joining process has asked me to post an introduction so here goes.

I'm in my late 40s with 3 kids (19, 17 and 13) and we've always liked the outdoors. Before the kids, we would go away every Saturday afternoon to the mountains, pitch the tent, have a pub meal and get up on the hill early before heading home Sunday afternoon. We fancy starting to do a bit more of that but neither of us sleep as well on the ground as we used to, hence the California.

In later years, we may want to spend longer periods (a week or more) in it, but for the time being, we see it as a hit and run vehicle. What we may do is book a week's accommodation somewhere and take 3 days to get there with the California, and 3 days to get back, stopping at a different place each night, but we see it as a tent on wheels rather than a home from home if that makes sense.

We think specifying it so it doesn't "scream" camper van is our thing and we want it to be able to go anywhere our current car will. Given the hit and run nature of our weekends, we also think for now we'll spend as much time driving it as sleeping in it, so we're looking at a lot of driver based options. Our spec is as follows, appreciate any insights that might be helpful to us.

204PS 4Motion DSG
Diff lock
Hill assist/descent
Discovery Navigation
LED lights - doesn't seem to be a Xenon option
Lights and vision pack - auto wipers is the driver here
Towbar - we'll use a Thule bike rack when necessary
Parking sensors all round
Adaptive cruise
No model badges - don't mind engine as they're common to transporters
No awning
Shower connection - cleaning bikes and boots