Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hooray...100% Optimised Storage in rear of Cali.....

S

SRM

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hey Guys, Having had my Cali a while and having taken an age searching the entire web for storage boxes with the exact dimensions to match the available space in the Cali I can now report that I have finally done it. I did consider the sliding drawer but was disappointed to find that it wastes such a lot of space which is absolutely at a premium in this vehicle.

I know that we all have different needs but you can now maximise ALL the space under the shelf in the rear of your pride and joy.

20200813_112301.jpg

20200813_112206.jpg

I achieved this by buying the following:

Qty 1 x 35 Litre Really Useful Box (Dimensions Lx480mmxW390mmxD310mm
Qty 2 x 33 Litre Really Useful Box (Dimensions Lx710mmxW440mmxD165mm

You can get these all over the internet including at www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk

1 x Thetford Porta Potti Qube 335 plus holdall
1 x Thule Leveling Ramps plus holdall

These combine to make use of ALL the available space under the shelf and you even have room at the side for the windbreak.........

The rear tailgate closes perfectly!

Oh and the photo shows the comfort mattress in its own holdall.....this is a Kampa XL Carry Bag which was made for Recliner Chairs but it was made to measure for the mattress....

Hope this post helps out and saves some time.

All the Best. Happy Campings.

Hi Steward, Newbie question but what is the little grey square for just to the left of your shelf?
I don't remember seeing it on the Cali we viewed.

@Zooks , as your details says "T6.1 ocean" you should have this , i'ts the rear shower attachment.

Excellent - what size Thule levelling ramps do uou have?

Hey Guys, Having had my Cali a while and having taken an age searching the entire web for storage boxes with the exact dimensions to match the available space in the Cali I can now report that I have finally done it. I did consider the sliding drawer but was disappointed to find that it wastes such a lot of space which is absolutely at a premium in this vehicle.

I know that we all have different needs but you can now maximise ALL the space under the shelf in the rear of your pride and joy.

View attachment 64391

View attachment 64392

You can get these all over the internet including at www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk

These combine to make use of ALL the available space under the shelf and you even have room at the side for the windbreak.........

Oh and the photo shows the comfort mattress in its own holdall.....this is a Kampa XL Carry Bag which was made for Recliner Chairs but it was made to measure for the mattress....

Really useful boxes are fab. You can also get them cheaper sometimes in diy, stationery or craft stores.

The 9 litre fits perfectly in the gap between the passenger seat and the handbrake (handy for maps, books and odd bits, either when driving or camped. I have a piece of carpet glued to the top of ours as our short-legged dog uses it as a step to get to his bed/chill out space on the passenger seat when camped.

If your portaloo is a little too low the 18 litre underneath brings it up to a decent height.

Last edited:
I often carry scuba equipment and also obsess about maximising the use of boot space, to the extent that I often sleep on the downstairs bed with only the topper on the shelf, so I can have it in the raised position.

Another vote here for RUBs.

View attachment 64391

View attachment 64392

We wouldn’t be without our sliding drawer it’s a brilliant addition to the Cali. We actually are now in the position of having some unused / empty storage areas :)

View attachment 64391

View attachment 64392

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I can’t tell you how useful this has been. I was trying to work out where I could go to try the different sizes. You’ve even answered my question about how to fit the boxes around the Thetford and allow a windbreak for our regular beach trips. I will be ordering ASAP!

20200813_112206.jpg
Pah!

With the bench seat positioned on the rails for lowering into the bed, I can get all the following below the level of the Beach's multiflex.
IMG_2085.JPG
2 x 68 litre crates
2 x 44 litre trays
1 x 62 litre drawer
2 x 49 litre drawer
1 x 35 litre drawer
1 x 24 litre gas storage box (2 x 907 bottles)
Gas stove
150cm x 38cm kitchen bench top

Oooooh. I love the mattress carrier. I’ve got a beach though so I wonder if they do a largeR size?

If you remove the ‘cover’ for the ski load area by the bottom drawer, it’s an excellent space for the levelling ramps....and helpfully means you can also access them from the cabin if you have bikes on the tailgate arriving at a location.

View attachment 64391

View attachment 64392

Nice. But I wouldn't be without the drawer. It makes it possible to get at everything in there without taking stuff out. And as for optimum storage with a drawer it's really hard to beat the fantastic post by howiedog 20th May 2020 (sorry not sure how to copy) . This is true genius.

View attachment 64391

View attachment 64392

Congratulations with your plastic boxes

Pah!

With the bench seat positioned on the rails for lowering into the bed, I can get all the following below the level of the Beach's multiflex.
View attachment 64486
2 x 68 litre crates
2 x 44 litre trays
1 x 62 litre drawer
2 x 49 litre drawer
1 x 35 litre drawer
1 x 24 litre gas storage box (2 x 907 bottles)
Gas stove
150cm x 38cm kitchen bench top
Well done for solving the Beach Puzzle! Are your wooden boxes homemade? Also interested if anyone has tried this with aluminium boxes. Like the look of the Zarges .... but not the £££. That said guess they would last a lifetime.

Well done for solving the Beach Puzzle! Are your wooden boxes homemade? Also interested if anyone has tried this with aluminium boxes. Like the look of the Zarges .... but not the £££. That said guess they would last a lifetime.
Yes, homemade. I had a local timber merchant cut the plywood to size and all I had to do was nail the bits together. The 20 pieces were cut from a single sheet of 8' by 4' 9mm plywood, and the cutting cost me £20.

I looked carefully at Zarges, but couldn't work out a fit. I have a 157 litre Zarges Eurobox, and they really are excellent quality.

View attachment 64391

View attachment 64392

It is always a challenge to fit all your camping and activity gear in the van, but also how different our needs are. There’s no room for boxes in mine as full already with:
Vango Kela V - drive away awning, pump and poles
Thetford 335 Porta Potti
Cadac BBQ and gas bottle
Brazier
That’s it, full up.

View attachment 64391

View attachment 64392

Super helpful! Thank you! I’ve just ordered a bag for the loo and all those boxes. I haven’t yet solved the boot, so this will really get us there.

Back