Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi! Looking for a new or nearly new beach in Red

mintstuff

mintstuff

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone

Just joined the forum as a VIP. Been speaking with dealers (and autoebid) about a new purchase as seems to be the only way to get all the options we want, however also keeping an eye on the used section. Must be red!!!

Welcome and good luck with the search - not many about in red due to the PP factor! ;)

271328-Postman-Pat-Friction-Van-3.jpg

Nice red Beach for sale in the forum small ads, also a lovely 2 tone red/white Beach for sale, any good?

Hi everyone

Just joined the forum as a VIP. Been speaking with dealers (and autoebid) about a new purchase as seems to be the only way to get all the options we want, however also keeping an eye on the used section. Must be red!!!
Try SMG Tonbridge. They have a shiny new red one in their showrooms. Ask for Laine Watts, lovely chap and knows his stuff on Californias. The one I saw may have been this one:
https://smgvwvans.co.uk/used-vans/california-ku18xwt/

Last edited:
Hi Mintstuff

Limiting yourself to a particular colour will limit the potential for stock vehicles severely, I know when I was looking, the chances of getting a stock vehicle, to the spec you require and in the colour you require will be a game of pure chance, and probably not a real possibility considering all the possible options ( depending on your requirements).

I had a very specific list of requirements and a specific colour, I obtained a list price from VW configurator which gave me a bench mark to work with.

I searched dealers and second hand for about a year to try and get what I was after, which simply was not available, new stock (demonstrators) or second hand through various sources!

I then went down the auto bid route, they provided a very competitive quote for the exact vehicle I chose on the VW configurator. I found autoebid excellent and very very professional, although I did not actually order from them.
I ended up going to see some stock demonstrator vehicle at a dealer, to confirm for myself that the spec and colour I wanted was 100% what I wanted, I armed myself with the knowledge of the autoebid price I had. (8% discount from list) I also got a very competitive quote from Guy at Preston (thanks Guy)
I then went to a dealer to test drive and check out the extras I wanted, I found a Cali which was not the colour I wanted, although it had all the extra I wanted and more at a competitive price.
I used the autoebid price and the fact the colour was not one that I considered to negotiate a further discount with the dealer + 5 year warranty + 2 services, front mats and tank of fuel.

Be aware that dealers do not like autoebid comparison, be guarded with the details of the autoebid quote, never give then the quote number, always give then the VW configurator number, so they can check out your requirements from the VW configurator.

After much tooing and froing, I came away with a very very high speck vehicle, (not the original colour I wanted) which was a compromise I was prepared to make, (having seen it in the flesh) offset against some very nice extra spec items that the dealer had missed in their screen pricing of the demonstrator, which effectively increased the discount even further to approx 10% from VW list price. The vehicle had done under 200 miles.

I know your dilemma, new = exactly what you want vs demonstrator/ second hand possible compromise!

I have to say that the end result for me was perfect, I got a very nice vehicle at a price I could live (not cheap) with and a very high spec to boot.
I would suggest going to see some of the other colours available purely if only to galvanise your thoughts or open the possibility of other colours, even if you are set on Red, it may open your eyes to other possibilities with a cost / spec benefit, with the added bounds of driving away a Vehicle soon after.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Welcome allong !

Are you sure you don't want a yellow one

Nice red Beach for sale in the forum small ads, also a lovely 2 tone red/white Beach for sale, any good?
The red one is pretty good, had my eye on it, but wanted rear air con unit and heated front screen, plus maybe comfort dash (if possible).

Two tone is a nice van, but prefer whole red and this was painted over factory finish?

Try SMG Tonbridge. They have a shiny new red one in their showrooms. Ask for Laine Watts, lovely chap and knows his stuff on Californias. The one I saw may have been this one:
https://smgvwvans.co.uk/used-vans/california-ku18xwt/
Thanks for the recommendation. Was hoping for black interior. Seems a little strong money, thought new was possible for £45k with dealer discount of £5k, then £5k of extras.

ACC is also on the wishlist!

Hi Mintstuff

Limiting yourself to a particular colour will limit the potential for stock vehicles severely, I know when I was looking, the chances of getting a stock vehicle, to the spec you require and in the colour you require will be a game of pure chance, and probably not a real possibility considering all the possible options ( depending on your requirements).

I had a very specific list of requirements and a specific colour, I obtained a list price from VW configurator which gave me a bench mark to work with.

I searched dealers and second hand for about a year to try and get what I was after, which simply was not available, new stock (demonstrators) or second hand through various sources!

I then went down the auto bid route, they provided a very competitive quote for the exact vehicle I chose on the VW configurator. I found autoebid excellent and very very professional, although I did not actually order from them.
I ended up going to see some stock demonstrator vehicle at a dealer, to confirm for myself that the spec and colour I wanted was 100% what I wanted, I armed myself with the knowledge of the autoebid price I had. (8% discount from list) I also got a very competitive quote from Guy at Preston (thanks Guy)
I then went to a dealer to test drive and check out the extras I wanted, I found a Cali which was not the colour I wanted, although it had all the extra I wanted and more at a competitive price.
I used the autoebid price and the fact the colour was not one that I considered to negotiate a further discount with the dealer + 5 year warranty + 2 services, front mats and tank of fuel.

Be aware that dealers do not like autoebid comparison, be guarded with the details of the autoebid quote, never give then the quote number, always give then the VW configurator number, so they can check out your requirements from the VW configurator.

After much tooing and froing, I came away with a very very high speck vehicle, (not the original colour I wanted) which was a compromise I was prepared to make, (having seen it in the flesh) offset against some very nice extra spec items that the dealer had missed in their screen pricing of the demonstrator, which effectively increased the discount even further to approx 10% from VW list price. The vehicle had done under 200 miles.

I know your dilemma, new = exactly what you want vs demonstrator/ second hand possible compromise!

I have to say that the end result for me was perfect, I got a very nice vehicle at a price I could live (not cheap) with and a very high spec to boot.
I would suggest going to see some of the other colours available purely if only to galvanise your thoughts or open the possibility of other colours, even if you are set on Red, it may open your eyes to other possibilities with a cost / spec benefit, with the added bounds of driving away a Vehicle soon after.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Hi Perfectos

Thank you for your very detailed response, I think you are right that unless we want to make a compromise, then new is the best option with haggling. I've already got a few prices that unless I was getting a 2016 bargain, I will be more likely to buy a new one!

Going with Mrs Mintstuff to Coventry dealer tomorrow, so will take a look at other colours too

Thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome and great advise, I wasn't expecting so much. You have confirmed that I made the right decision to join this forum!

Are you sure you don't want a yellow one
Tried to convince Mrs Mintstuff when I saw a good value T5.1, however she wasn't very receptive. I also like the Grape Yellow T6, but I have agreed to not talk about yellow again!

Hi @mintstuff The red one on the forum has rear air con (3 zone) & it's said by others that you don't need the heated windscreen if you've got the parking heater...(but what do I know I'm still waiting for the one I ordered!)

By the way I went through the same process (eventually ordering a new one) -- the 2nd hand ones in dealers seemed too expensive and the two I looked at were mucky inside with bits missing...

was thinking of Yellow but that got vetoed :-(

Hi mintstuff
Glad your finding the community useful and friendly, we’ve all been there before, It’s a bit daunting and a major purchase, one I’m sure you won’t you won’t regret with the right research.

I too considered Yellow, but was vetoed, must be a Girl thang, but as you said , we won’t mention that again!

From experience I found the comfort dash was a really limiting factor with in stock vehicles, not many available, but that was a high priority for me as I didn’t like the uncomfortable dash as much. (That’ll start a whole other debate). I hit lucky with my vehicle.

Glad to hear your going to a dealer for some real life inspections, report back and let us know how it went.

All the best and good luck

Hi Mintstuff and welcome,
Ive been putting it off for a while, but were looking to sell our cherry red beach cali due to a very much needed house move.(plus ive seen a nice early bay I like)
Shes pretty much got everything (10k worth of factory extras)
Registered march 2017, so beats new tax rise(£120 per year)
Will be Listing later today on here
she was a showroom van from smg tonbridge with 4 miles on the clock when we bought her
2.0 tdi 140 7 speed dsg
14,000 miles, shes a daily driver so mostly dual carrige way miles
Prob only camped in her about 8 times, always waxed and polished
just had first service, two new front continental tyres and roof corrosion mod(although roof was fine anyway)
7 seater ( two removeable single seats)
Two parking heaters
Comfort dash
Heated front and back windows
Composition media with app connect and vw sat nav, hands free bluetooth etc
2nd evaporater for rear air con
Removable tow bar (have a small camping trailer and tow bar bike rack)
Soft close power latching
Tinted rear windows
Interior Lighting pack
Auto lights and wipers with cornering fogs
Bike rack preperation

And probably loads more I cant recall at moment
Were a non smoking family and this van was gonna be a keeper so always looked after
20170830_182505(0).jpg 20170825_192151.jpg 20170830_182505(0).jpg 20170825_192151.jpg 20170825_192140.jpg 20170825_141753.jpg 20170821_125322.jpg 20170819_094327.jpg

Asking for £48,500

Located in Horsham West Sussex

Personally to us the colour was one of the most important factors. We have a red T5 and have never got fed up with the colour. It’s just more vibrant than the grey or silver or brown. It’s a camper van for holidays and you can’t miss it in a car park. We love it and have never regretted buying the red for one minute. Just our personal opinion. The days of “You can have any colour as long as it’s black” have long gone.

Hi Mintstuff and welcome,
Ive been putting it off for a while, but were looking to sell our cherry red beach cali due to a very much needed house move.(plus ive seen a nice early bay I like)
Shes pretty much got everything (10k worth of factory extras)
Registered march 2017, so beats new tax rise(£120 per year)
Will be Listing later today on here
she was a showroom van from smg tonbridge with 4 miles on the clock when we bought her
2.0 tdi 140 7 speed dsg
14,000 miles, shes a daily driver so mostly dual carrige way miles
Prob only camped in her about 8 times, always waxed and polished
just had first service, two new front continental tyres and roof corrosion mod(although roof was fine anyway)
7 seater ( two removeable single seats)
Two parking heaters
Comfort dash
Heated front and back windows
Composition media with app connect and vw sat nav, hands free bluetooth etc
2nd evaporater for rear air con
Removable tow bar (have a small camping trailer and tow bar bike rack)
Soft close power latching
Tinted rear windows
Interior Lighting pack
Auto lights and wipers with cornering fogs
Bike rack preperation

And probably loads more I cant recall at moment
Were a non smoking family and this van was gonna be a keeper so always looked after
View attachment 39459 View attachment 39460 View attachment 39459 View attachment 39460 View attachment 39461 View attachment 39462 View attachment 39463 View attachment 39464

Asking for £48,500

Located in Horsham West Sussex
Hi Katy, thanks for the information and pictures, I've just been comparing after my visit to the dealer this afternoon. You certainly have most of the options we are looking for, after today we are swaying more towards a new one and just focusing on negotiation with all the options we want.
Good luck with the sale!

Personally to us the colour was one of the most important factors. We have a red T5 and have never got fed up with the colour. It’s just more vibrant than the grey or silver or brown. It’s a camper van for holidays and you can’t miss it in a car park. We love it and have never regretted buying the red for one minute. Just our personal opinion. The days of “You can have any colour as long as it’s black” have long gone.
Thanks Peter, looking at them today, we confirmed that it's 100% red for us!

Here is our current list of desired options, any feedback would be appreciated...

6.33ins media
Bed extension with comfort mattress
Interior light concept
MF steering wheel
ACC
Parking sensors and camera
comfort dash pack with 2nd evap
lights and vision pack
awning
app connect
folding mirrors
heated seats
parking heater and remote
LED headlights
4 keys
privacy glass in rear
bike rack
extra side window
heated front screen
lowering springs

Hi Mintstuff,

I trust today went well?

The only other thing I would have purely for future proofing is tow bar prep. Makes fitting of factory tow bar later a cheaper option than full factory retro fit.

Having asked my better half she would not be without power latching sliding door and rear hatch, (We had a T5.1 previous without) closing both doors without slamming!

I also really like the auto lights function, some do not !

Heated rear screen; don’t forget to tick that as a free option (instead of double glazed without heat)

Ensure you tick swivel front seats also as this is vital part of the set up, but strangely a free option !

Sounds like it’s all hands to the calculator and best negotiating skills ?

Free front jumbo mats, tank of fuel, and as previous 5 yr warranty and 2 services. 4 Cali key rings, litre of oil.

Get a spare safe when delivery date confirmed

Good luck

It's gonna be a 2-seater bench or 3-seater bench ?

Hi mintstuff
Glad your finding the community useful and friendly, we’ve all been there before, It’s a bit daunting and a major purchase, one I’m sure you won’t you won’t regret with the right research.

I too considered Yellow, but was vetoed, must be a Girl thang, but as you said , we won’t mention that again!

From experience I found the comfort dash was a really limiting factor with in stock vehicles, not many available, but that was a high priority for me as I didn’t like the uncomfortable dash as much. (That’ll start a whole other debate). I hit lucky with my vehicle.

Glad to hear your going to a dealer for some real life inspections, report back and let us know how it went.

All the best and good luck
I'm sure the uncomfortable dash was my line!!!!