Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi from Suffolk

D

Dassy1308

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi and thanks to all for generating the useful content on this site.

We have recently placed an order for an Ocean 6.1 (via Autoebid) with expected delivery end of April (ps that’s not necessarily reflecting current lead times - we’ve asked for delivery no earlier). Have to say it was a tough decision between a Cali and Marco Polo, but the Cali won it solely on bed sizes upstairs and downstairs - IMHO the MB looks slightly less utilitarian, almost glamorous, but I think the T6.1 addresses some if not all of the shortfall.

Bed sizes were important to us because unlike most seemingly typical Cali owners we have 2 teenage (eugh!) children. Whilst we intend to bung them in a tent whenever possible, for festivals etc they are bound to gravitate to the van!

Looking forward to contributing when we have something useful to contribute, and looking forward to learning even more thanks to you guys.

Welcome here! April is a great month to start California-ing! Happy camping and keep us postet with pictures!

Welcome on board.

Was the autoebid process easy/simple? Looking to order from a dealer currently. Not sure if autoebid gives more benefits?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Welcome on board.

Was the autoebid process easy/simple? Looking to order from a dealer currently. Not sure if autoebid gives more benefits?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t say it gives you any benefits, just saves the hassle of haggling and maybe piece of mind that you got (possibly) a cheap price quickly. Mind you a ‘good’ deal comprises more than just price!
I’ve used brokers such as Drivethedeal etc for past few purchases/leases and it’s quite easy - after the initial enquiry to the broker you’re dealing with the supplying dealer for day to day matters. They might not be local to you but servicing etc can be arranged locally if best.
Good luck!

Welcome onboard
We are very close to you in North Essex
If you see a red and white two tone 4motion give us a wave :welcome:welcome:welcome

Thanks for the welcomes.

Now for the controversial bits! Having had the van only a couple of days but with rental of a 2019 T6 199 relatively fresh in my mind I’d like to say (disclaimer - I might be wearing new-van-rose-tinted-spectacles):

1. Ride is tons better. Rear susp is still van-like, but nowhere as bad as our rental. Body roll (or sickening sway) is still there, but seems much less and comparable to the latest Vivaros, Transit Connects etc ie more car-like. To the point where I don’t necessarily see a need for lowering.

2. The 150ps paired to DSG seems a good match for East Anglia (ie straight flat roads, A14, A12). I’ve driven that engine in past 2 Skoda Superbs and it’s a similarly quiet and predictable delivery in the Cali. The 7s DSG is smooth (complete opposite to the agricultural 8s I’ve recently had in a top-end Volvo).

3. No rattles. Admittedly the van is almost empty, but no rattles.

4. Unlike some other early 6.1 adopters (I ensured all software updates/recall actions etc were completed prior to pick up) I’ve been lucky enough to open and close the roof several times without glitch, driver profile loads almost immediately, the turbo hasn’t spewed oil over my driveway and despite being at the dealers for over 4 weeks the leisure batteries are fully charged. (Disclaimer#2 I’ll keep you posted when I experience a novel issue).

Now for balance things I don’t like:

a) Glovebox is laughable. Yes you can put a pair of gloves in it. But that’s all. Even the manuals/guides don’t fit in there.

b) One of the bolts attaching the sliding table undid itself. Bugger to find under the rear bench (note to self - keep a long skewer handy for fishing out all kinds of missing nuts, screws etc).

c) Active info display with Discover Media is rubbish compared to the one you get with Discover Media Pro. Probably the only option I regret not speccing.

Having said all that, glad we’ve got it and we can’t wait to take every opportunity to use it as it is intended.

I like your lower chrome side bars - are they a dealer fit option?
Yup - angled bars, not the round ones, £499ish (don’t tell the missus, I was lucky tax was £270 so hid it). Normally delivered to dealer next day and depending on workshop availability fitted pretty quickly.

ps did you get the tyre issue fixed?

Yes, they replaced the whole wheel. Collecting it next Saturday.

the turbo hasn’t spewed oil over my driveway
So glad to see you have your van, looks fab.

Our van hasn't lost any oil in the last few hundred miles :thumb

However, today a self tapping screw fell out of the air con vent above the back right passenger. German engineering anyone? :punch

:welcome:welcome Welcome from another Suffolk van. We have had ours fpr just a year but limited use due to working last year and covid this year now retired. If you travel the A12/14 a lot then I guess we are close. I'll keep a lookout and wave should our paths cross, We are a blue T5.1

Hi Dassy,
Not being that techie, I'd love an explanation on the advantages of Discovery Media Pro. Thanks

Hi @SusiBus the main advantage of Discover Media Pro I can fathom is the ability to transfer the Satnav over to the driver screen - easier (and safer?) to follow, and means you can effectively have 2 satnav screens at different scales which we've found useful in our Golf. I think this feature is now standard on MY21 vehicles irrespective of the entertainment unit, which suggests its just a software thingy. The Pro can also take voice commands to the satnav, but I've always found this to be practically useless - much quicker to type!

Interestingly Discover Media also now has gesture control (a bit of a gimmick to be honest, but it keeps the front passenger amused for a few seconds) which was unexpected. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback Dassy,
About to order a new T6.1 for next year. So it will be MY21.The only thing that seems useful on the Pro, is now standard on the normal Discovery Media package, ie the ability to have two maps.
There must be something extra that I'm not understanding. I think you get a subscription to App-connect, which I'm not interested in. Puzzled!

There must be something extra that I'm not understanding. I think you get a subscription to App-connect, which I'm not interested in. Puzzled!
We have Discover Pro in our 6.1. I think you get 3 years subscription to activate the built in e-sim. I had to create an account with VW and when I am logged in to the vehicle, which i believe is via the physical keys, then you get the traffic info etc. Before I created the account, which took about 2 hours on the phone to VW (!) there was no traffic info. All a bit of a faff TBH.

We have Discover Pro in our 6.1. I think you get 3 years subscription to activate the built in e-sim. I had to create an account with VW and when I am logged in to the vehicle, which i believe is via the physical keys, then you get the traffic info etc. Before I created the account, which took about 2 hours on the phone to VW (!) there was no traffic info. All a bit of a faff TBH.
Thanks subthree for your info.
So you get live traffic reports, any good?
I think another function is that VW can talk to to the vehicle directly, and identify any fault codes. Sofar I'm not seeing anything that's making me want to tick the box.

Thanks subthree for your info.
So you get live traffic reports, any good?
I think another function is that VW can talk to to the vehicle directly, and identify any fault codes. Sofar I'm not seeing anything that's making me want to tick the box.
The built in satnav is fine, and so is the traffic, but Google/Android Auto it is not. I like the larger screen but that is about it. Finger prints on the screen are driving me potty already!!! I do wish VW would make it abundantly clear what you get, and do not get, in each system. It is all a bit amateur really.

Back