Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi from Norway - and about a winter trip at 15 below zero

Daniel58

Daniel58

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have just bought a 2005 VW California T5 4Motion and drove it over the Norwegian winter mountains. We stayed for the night on the highest point of 1000 meters where there was 2 m of snow and 15 degrees below zero! We parked the car between high snow walls along the road. Then we tried out the 3 kW Webasto diesel heating, and didn't lift the roof top. It actually got too warm inside, since we didn't find out how to reduce the heating! The car went very well over the snow covered roads, and even on steep slopes of 15% inclination it wasn’t a problem to get up.

We can recommend traveling and doing wild camping in Norway and Sweden, even during winter time. If you are planning a trip to Norway, feel free to contact me about good tips, and places to visit.

Greetings from Daniel

Open the windows... :veryfunny

Welcome! Norway will be one of our first big trips for sure.
Open the windows... :veryfunny

Welcome! Norway will be one of our first big trips for sure.
So please tell us when you come! I am also Swiss, and have lived in Norway since 1985! All Swiss love Norway! It's much more liberal in respect of wild camping.

Welcome welcome! As kave says, can we have some pictures please. Norway is on my list of countries.. also on a motorcycle and camping :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We have been to Norway many times before, and will come again next September. But we have never been there in deep winter, which is something we still want to do one day. On spikes, in convoy behind the snow plow across a mountain pass! :cool:

There is an interesting thread on the german Caliboard about a group of Cali's that went up north this winter.

cacc1ca2cb791e76d1a5d3e37cfd33b7.jpg

Welcome - we are just skiing in Gaalaa, north of Lillehammer.
What tires do you have? Studded/spiked or just standard winter tires?

Nice links.

Welcome - I am jealous! I would like to be there as well :).

The pictures are brilliant. It is a wonderful country. We have our camper only since end of last November and had no time to use it properly yet :( .

For this summer we plan to drive along Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way, but I hope to convince my wife to do a Scandinavia tour during summer 2019. I would love to do this.

Beside the strong urge to visit Norway I need to do more research. We have a 2x wheel drive van. At the moment I believe that is ok even for back roads, a 4x4 Cali is not needed.

David in general can you confirm this or is it only wishful thinking of me?

Eberhard

Welcome - we are just skiing in Gaalaa, north of Lillehammer.
What tires do you have? Studded/spiked or just standard winter tires?

Nice links.
I bought the car only a week ago, but I am happy with the normal winter tires
Welcome - I am jealous! I would like to be there as well :).

The pictures are brilliant. It is a wonderful country. We have our camper only since end of last November and had no time to use it properly yet :( .

For this summer we plan to drive along Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way, but I hope to convince my wife to do a Scandinavia tour during summer 2019. I would love to do this.

Beside the strong urge to visit Norway I need to do more research. We have a 2x wheel drive van. At the moment I believe that is ok even for back roads, a 4x4 Cali is not needed.

David in general can you confirm this or is it only wishful thinking of me?

Eberhard

2WD ist ok on all official roads and even dirt roads during summer. During winter you should have 4WD or chains on minor roads, but on main paived roads you are fine with normal winter tires; but you MUST have winter tires in Scandinavia during winter! On icy roads its a plus to have studs (spikes), but we have to pay a extra fee in Oslo if we use them. Most main roads are salted during winter time (unfortunately). This causes rust problems more than in the rest of the world.

We have just bought a 2005 VW California T5 4Motion and drove it over the Norwegian winter mountains. We stayed for the night on the highest point of 1000 meters where there was 2 m of snow and 15 degrees below zero! We parked the car between high snow walls along the road. Then we tried out the 3 kW Webasto diesel heating, and didn't lift the roof top. It actually got too warm inside, since we didn't find out how to reduce the heating! The car went very well over the snow covered roads, and even on steep slopes of 15% inclination it wasn’t a problem to get up.

We can recommend traveling and doing wild camping in Norway and Sweden, even during winter time. If you are planning a trip to Norway, feel free to contact me about good tips, and places to visit.

Greetings from Daniel

Hi Daniel, I will save your post as we’re going over to Scandinavia next year. Used ours in minus 7 Scotland this winter with roof up and heater on ‘1’ overnight, no condensation and comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some pictures with my old camper, a 1984 Ford: https://www.flickr.com/gp/la0fd/30ph70

As you can see on some pictures, there are a lot of unpaved roads; some of them maintained historical roads.

The 18 Scenic Routes: https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/routes

One of my favoured unpaved road:
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. Just further strengthened my resolution for a visit soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great trip. I live in Norway just now and have not met anything that’s stopped my 4MOTION with studded tyres yet. Enjoy!

Hi Daniel. I just bought my Cali recently also and am not too far from Oslo. Maybe we should meet and compare notes some day.

I’d like to meet you. We are going to Dalsland in spring sometime. Keep in touch here.
Ok I might actually head over to Sweden for a camp on the weekend as the weather looks ok.

Just a question - what gas bottle do you have in the Cali? Mine seems to have the standard Norwegian adaptor but I am struggling to find a small enough bottle that fits.

Hi guys new to the club just booked slimbridge see you there cheers Wayne

Thanks. Think I have found what I need. A 2kg bottle with a “Norwegian” fitting. 203mm diameter.

Back