Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi from Northants

S

Square

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We’ve just bought our first California - a T5 2011. We’ve had a T2 for the last 15 years and enjoyed many an adventure. We’re taking advantage of the T5 heater and planning our first trip over New Year so will be checking out any advice on colder weather camping in a California.

T5 from 2011. You struck gold! It's without a doubt the best Cali ever made. Coincidentally ours is a T5 from 2011 ;-) Seriously, congratulations. Hope you will have great times and make great memories with the van. I'm sure you will.

The heater is brilliant and really makes winter camping possible. I spend a few nights in the van at -5c a while back. Slept downstairs with the roof open and still the temparature was warm and cosy with the heater at setting 3 out of 10. Many people here with more winter camping exoerience then me, so I'm sure you'll find some good info.

Last edited:
Coming from previous T2 use you probably have full knowledge of insulation methods but --

External windscreen cover (it slopes and bigger than T2)

Various internal & external top covers available, internal having both convenience and year round benefits.
An example of external

T5 from 2011. You struck gold! It's without a doubt the best Cali ever made. Coincidentally ours is a T5 from 2011 ;-)
Great to know we’ve got a good year! Took a while to find the right T5 for us and hopefully it will prove to be. Thanks for the info re the heater.

Coming from previous T2 use you probably have full knowledge of insulation methods but
Thanks for the info and link. I’ll have a good look at the various options but we’ll definitely be getting the roof cover.