Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi been meaning to join this club for years. Just ordered a New Surf! (3rd new Cali. in 6 yrs.), so thought to finally sign-up, particularly as I inte

J

Jon's T6.1 VAN

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi Cali. owners, been meaning to join this club for years. Just ordered a New Surf! (3rd new Cali. in 6 yrs.), so thought to finally sign-up, particularly as I intend to keep this one. Looking forward to reading the various Cali. related topics etc. It's just a feeling, but I think we're about to see the demise of the the 'real' VW Transporter. Particularly, as 'California Chris' suggested that it may be referred to as the 'Heritage' model in years to come.

Hi Cali. owners, been meaning to join this club for years. Just ordered a New Surf! (3rd new Cali. in 6 yrs.), so thought to finally sign-up, particularly as I intend to keep this one. Looking forward to reading the various Cali. related topics etc. It's just a feeling, but I think we're about to see the demise of the the 'real' VW Transporter. Particularly, as 'California Chris' suggested that it may be referred to as the 'Heritage' model in years to come.
Great to hear you have ordered a new Surf model van! I am considering one to replace my current Ocean. Why did you go for the Surf???

Welcome to the club :welcome

I am weighing up which one to go for: Ocean or Surf. Both would have minimal options, and be 150 models. I currently have a 204 model with loads of options...do i use them? No, always been turned off! Never use the adaptive cruise, or the auto braking...the camera annoys me! The other day i noticed it had park assist - i have owned it 4 odd years :) The screen heater has wires in the screen i am not keen on, and the sat nav is a bit rubbish. The led head lights are brilliant however, and i like the posher covers to the seats, allcantara??? But they have not seen the light of day as they have always had VW waterproof van seat covers, and i like the utility of the covers more than the poshness of the subtle grey...
So the analogue side of the Surf appeals as does the wood finish to the furniture...even the 16 inch wheels have a certain old school attraction and the replacement tyres will be cheap! Looks like the tyres from factory are van type models, and the E300 tyres i have now wear out in 8000 miles which is annoying. The van tyres likely last 30,000 at a guess? Anyone know about this?
A slight concern is if the 16" wheels and brakes will be upto the job...as i am used to 17" brakes and chassis - probably they are fine.
Another small concern is will the Surf enjoy the strong residuals of the Ocean?
Welcome everyones thoughts on the above???
Oh, why am changing from the present van that i love? I like the idea of 3 years without worrying about MOT time and also the 5 year warranty (i will extend the 3 years) is one less worry...

I am weighing up which one to go for: Ocean or Surf. Both would have minimal options, and be 150 models. I currently have a 204 model with loads of options...do i use them? No, always been turned off! Never use the adaptive cruise, or the auto braking...the camera annoys me! The other day i noticed it had park assist - i have owned it 4 odd years :) The screen heater has wires in the screen i am not keen on, and the sat nav is a bit rubbish. The led head lights are brilliant however, and i like the posher covers to the seats, allcantara??? But they have not seen the light of day as they have always had VW waterproof van seat covers, and i like the utility of the covers more than the poshness of the subtle grey...
So the analogue side of the Surf appeals as does the wood finish to the furniture...even the 16 inch wheels have a certain old school attraction and the replacement tyres will be cheap! Looks like the tyres from factory are van type models, and the E300 tyres i have now wear out in 8000 miles which is annoying. The van tyres likely last 30,000 at a guess? Anyone know about this?
A slight concern is if the 16" wheels and brakes will be upto the job...as i am used to 17" brakes and chassis - probably they are fine.
Another small concern is will the Surf enjoy the strong residuals of the Ocean?
Welcome everyones thoughts on the above???
Oh, why am changing from the present van that i love? I like the idea of 3 years without worrying about MOT time and also the 5 year warranty (i will extend the 3 years) is one less worry...
I just followed a friend to Hulme End for a camping weekend. I had adaptive cruise control and lane assist on all the way. It was the easiest driving I’ve ever done, pure pleasure. Each to their own, obvs.

You mirror what so many say...adaptive cruise and the other safety tech. is well loved. For good reasons. For many it makes things easier and statistically it is a win for safety. I think it may be my limited brain processing ability :)

Nice I ordered a Surf end March, there was nothing missing from the Ocean that Im bothered about. Think a poled awning will suit me better than having a wind-out always there, but it is something I may add later (in black). I’m patiently awaiting my build date (actually nit patient at all). My first van and a long-standing dream come true.

Nice I ordered a Surf end March, there was nothing missing from the Ocean that Im bothered about. Think a poled awning will suit me better than having a wind-out always there, but it is something I may add later (in black). I’m patiently awaiting my build date (actually not patient at all). I did add adaptive cruise and privacy glass. My first van and a long-standing dream come true.

Nice I ordered a Surf end March, there was nothing missing from the Ocean that Im bothered about. Think a poled awning will suit me better than having a wind-out always there, but it is something I may add later (in black). I’m patiently awaiting my build date (actually nit patient at all). My first van and a long-standing dream come true.
You will love your new van for sure...i had a type two many years back, and it is still in my heart as a really special time :) Then 12 years ago i got my first ocean - had one ever since and sold my car...it does everything so well and is so useful - i even use it as a home office and often have my lunch in it...i will today...maybe drive somewhere nice, maybe in the garden!

You will love your new van for sure...i had a type two many years back, and it is still in my heart as a really special time :) Then 12 years ago i got my first ocean - had one ever since and sold my car...it does everything so well and is so useful - i even use it as a home office and often have my lunch in it...i will today...maybe drive somewhere nice, maybe in the garden!
We use it a lot as a day van, one of our favourite spots is one and a half minutes up the road, bottle of wine to watch the sunset.
We have a T6 Ocean 4Motion and rarely use the auto distance braking cruise control, perhaps like others we sold our bigger car and have a small car for running around.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_0698.jpeg

...i do that too...i have a few special places within a few miles. Often take the van there to have a walk, a coffee and maybe we'll have our tea there too :) Not always necessary to travel far! You all look as though you are very contented...nice looking van too, one of the best colours!

We use it a lot as a day van, one of our favourite spots is one and a half minutes up the road, bottle of wine to watch the sunset.
We have a T6 Ocean 4Motion and rarely use the auto distance braking cruise control, perhaps like others we sold our bigger car and have a small car for running around.

View attachment 107984

View attachment 107985
Love that - that is one thing we are planning to use it as a great day out base as well as local overnighters!

Back