Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi all.

Don_Travel4fun

Don_Travel4fun

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We took delivery of our new Cali Ocean in September 2022, 13 months after placing our order!
Fortana Red, Davenport wheels, only a few optional extras - detachable tow bar, media Pro, tyre pressure monitoring, larger fuel tank, extra storage drawer.
We are a 'retired' couple with a cocker spaniel.
We previously had a 7m motorhome for seven years and toured extensively around western France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and SW England.
We had enjoyed the space and freedom travelling but decided that a campervan would be ideal for our future trips. There are compromises, but there are many benefits of the smaller vehicle.
We'd planned several trips for last year but then the production line delays caused several months of uncertainty.
However we did manage two short trips in the UK to get familiar with everything.
Then a four week trip across to France (Caen) and down through the Dordogne, over the Pyrenees and cut across Spain to the land around Morella and coast between Vinaros and Castellon. We were fortunate to have great weather for October.
The Cali was a joy to drive long distances and for touring around sightseeing. Stopped at free aires, car parks and a couple of campsites. We easily adapted to living in the campervan. We'd carefully selected what clothes and 'things' we carry to keep it simple but comfortable.
We are planning three long trips 4-6 weeks this year with other stop-overs around southern England in-between.
I hope we all have an adventurous 2023.
Don & Sue

It sounds like you’re a seasoned pro. I’d love to go away for weeks at a time but alas work and children are keeping our trips short. I’m looking forward to when the children fly the coop (not that I’m wishing their lives away of course) and the wife and I can get away for good long breaks and do some exploring.

Welcome to the Cali family. Yes you have to IMO keep things simple and little if your moving around, which infact is quite liberating,.Enjoy.

It sounds like you’re a seasoned pro. I’d love to go away for weeks at a time but alas work and children are keeping our trips short. I’m looking forward to when the children fly the coop (not that I’m wishing their lives away of course) and the wife and I can get away for good long breaks and do some exploring.
We didn't get our motorhome until into our late 50's. We missed out on the opportunity to enjoy having camper holidays with our children. Fortunately we can now travel for longer periods but still have family commitments to juggle. There is a period of time after children become independent but before parents become a concern that we tried to take advantage of.

Sounds like you've adapted well to the downsize (I've one of each!). These guys show how they do very long trips in their much smaller van, although they are likely to swap up to a transporter based van. https://youtube.com/@LifeistooshortCK
Edit.... They gone for a Bilbo which is a logical evolution for them.... And let's hope at 20mm over 2m it still gets into 2m car parks.

Last edited: