Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help - Rear tailgate latch...screws

MKRW

MKRW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

Is this a known problem or just with me....

Last week I found that the rear tailgate was not locking properly and looked at the latch and the screws were loose. I hand tightened and today took both mountain bikes off the back and saw the tailgate had not shut.

Opening it both screws were missing and rolling around in the boot. Photo attached:

I again hand tightened as much as I could got home and again both screws were out. Any suggestions on what tool can tighten them or is it a visit to a dealer?

377356_10151593497116628_1036688674_n.jpg

Or a spanner maybe!
Seriously though looking at mine I reckon you could use one of those hexagonal/star type heads (sorry don't know the correct term) that you get with a pack of heads for a cordless screwdriver.
Have just nipped out and had a look at mine and I've got a head in my pack that fits like a glove.
Certainly not a dealer return job other than getting a new bolt if you've lost one.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I would probably order new screws and as John suggests use some loctite.

It's possible the new screws will have a blob of loctite already on them.

Cheers Guys, Its certainly well worth everyone check that theirs are tight as when both dropped out the rear tailgate was not actually secure.

I think a little trip to the hardware store for the right 'key' to tighten fully, followed by a trip to the dealer, just to ensure its checked. Before another long trip.

Back