Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! Control panel frozen on 6.1 and roof is stuck up

JB87

JB87

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Currently up a mountain in Spain.

The control panel has frozen with the message “Auxiliary heater: maximum running time reached”

The problem is we can’t lower the roof and drive off.

Any ideas how we can reset the control panel to get moving?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently up a mountain in Spain.

The control panel has frozen with the message “Auxiliary heater: maximum running time reached”

The problem is we can’t lower the roof and drive off.

Any ideas how we can reset the control panel to get moving?

Thanks

There is a reset you can perform by pulling some fuses under the passenger seat. Have a search on here for the fuse numbers

There is a reset you can perform by pulling some fuses under the passenger seat. Have a search on here for the fuse numbers

I tried pulling the first 5 or so from under the passenger seat and one of them seems to have done the trick.

Thanks

I tried pulling the first 5 or so from under the passenger seat and one of them seems to have done the trick.

Thanks

Awesome - Now take it for a drive to reset the runtime limit - I read somewhere that someone had read in the manual that you have get above 10kph or some nominal speed. So a simple shuffle in the pitch isn't enough. Glad you are sorted (ish)

15 minutes from asking about a problem - in Spain - to receiving a reply and effecting a solution. Brilliant!
Well done @Stuart; this sort of shared knowledge is one of the reasons that I am a member.
Hey @Vagophile its the very least I can do after learning so much from the wealth of knowledge that is so freely shared on here. We've only had our van a few months, but learnt loads even before it arrived from the real experts on here. Such a fab community that you all have here.

Hey @Vagophile its the very least I can do after learning so much from the wealth of knowledge that is so freely shared on here. We've only had our van a few months, but learnt loads even before it arrived from the real experts on here. Such a fab community that you all have here.

Agreed, thanks so much for the help. I don’t know where we’d be without this forum. So much useful advice and friendly experts.

Dear all,

Many, many thanks i) to the person who had this problem before me, and ii) the public-spirited soul who posted the solution!

I am in northern France for a few days playing service barge / support vehicle in the California we bought new in August last year, but have since then hardly used, to my daughter in her part-camper-converted ex-British Gas Caddy whose transformation has been my full-time job since September (hence no real outings yet in our California!).

It’s still pretty cold here, so I managed to fire up the cabin heater (whose control interface I’m not very convinced by!) the night before last, which was nice. Last night I tried it again but it refused to get going, so I gave up, curious too that the overhead display seemed stuck in a waiting loop.

Surprise, surprise, this morning I couldn’t clear the screen to get to the main menu to drop the roof, so read the manual and set about dismantling the overhead facia to do a manual closure.

I wasn’t too happy with this route, given that I was sure some kind of an electrical reset would probably fix it, so I did a search and found this thread.

A quick extraction of first the 20A, and then the other under-passenger seat fuses, had the control screen back to normal and the roof dropped just as it should.

It dawned on me later that perhaps the cabin heater refused to function because my tank was down to about 40 miles range - I haven’t looked up a minimum tank level for the heater to be viable, but I’m sure someone’s going to tell me!

So, again, thanks folks for having put up such valuable tips - it really did save us a lot of aggravation this morning!

With best wishes; John.

Last edited:
It dawned on me later that perhaps the cabin heater refused to function because my tank was down to about 40 miles range - I haven’t looked up a minimum tank level for the heater to be viable, but I’m sure someone’s going to tell me!
Indeed, you're quite right about the heater. It'll say somewhere in the manual, but in my head it's a quarter tank.

Decided to check, the manual actually says fuel level needs to be above reserve. Which surprised me tbh!

Yeah, the Wolfsburg Nanny State ‘protecting’ the owner from himself ;-/

Not great that it should then confuse the control panel to the point of scrambling itself though, always assuming the two are connected!

I guess having now filled up AND knowing that I can get the roof down then I can do the ‘control’ experiment tonight!

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
Control experiment now done - static cabin heater works properly now fuel tank is brimmed, AND overhead control panel refreshes to entry screen on demand. Result!

Control experiment now done - static cabin heater works properly now fuel tank is brimmed, AND overhead control panel refreshes to entry screen on demand. Result!
Make sure you are using Heat Continious Mode and not Heat Immediate as that has a 2 hr total time limit, reset by driving the vehicle for a certain distance, so I gather.

OK, many thanks; I think I have been selecting ‘immediate’, since that describes rather well what I actually wanted (!), but I will be sure to go for continuous henceforth.

It’s always a reasonable bet to read the manual first, but I’m rather finding VW seems to want to persuade you to go and get the dealer to do everything for you, so common sense and experimentation is (predictably, being a bloke) the order of the day!

Appreciate the guidance . . . AND she’s just fired up again as I type, so something's working!

Hi all was in France camped at Robert in the Somme region on Easter Monday this was our first proper trip since getting the van last June we unfortunately had the same auxiliary heater fault code which locked the screen so again couldn't get the roof down as we couldn't access it
I gingerly started to take the overhead panel apart as someone had done in a previous thread but decided to check out this site before I went any further and potentially caused damage as I wasn't brimming with confidence .
Have to say many thanks to all who previously posted regarding this problem as once I had popped out a couple of fuses and put them back in the screen came back to normal once again many many thanks to all the people who contribute to make this site and its community an invaluable asset to its members

Back