Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from new member, and hopefully soon to be new owner!!

christoff

christoff

BH Orange Army
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello to everyone,

What a great site this is, and I've learnt so much more since coming across it yesterday.

I'm in the market for a new California, and spoke to the local dealer yesterday, to make some enquiries.

I didn't realise that there is a T6 on the way, and in fact I cannot order a T5, apart from ones that they already have in stock.

I've been comparing the difference between them, and I'm not sure now what I should do now.

I am keen to get up and running, but the sound of the T6 is very tempting.

I know it all comes down to personal choice in the end, but I would welcome any thoughts/advice from some experienced owners.

I have a T5 LWB as a work horse, and love my Van to bits. Currently, I clear out the back and camp in that at the moment, primitive I know, but as one of my hobbies is as a Motorsport Marshall, I don't need things to be overly lush, and it's mainly just me on the trips, although talk of the new California has got the families attention!

I'm hoping to get along to the Dealers later today, but I don't want to jump in too quick, and would be prepared to wait, if it was worth it!

Apologies for such a long first post!

Thanks for any help/advice

Chris

:thumbHi and welcome
Motorsport marchal as in F1 ?? Nice!

Hi Christoff and welcome.

It's an interesting question you raise, as it's someting my wife and I were disussing a few nights ago. We're not that experienced owners ourselves (we only acquired ours in November last year), but wondered what we might have done had we heard the T6 news at the time.

Since getting our Cali we've had several weekends away, all fantastic experiences, and are very much looking forward to further holiday and festival trips we have planned through the summer. All of this has helped us to fall deeply in love with the whole Cali experience and something we haven't regretted for a second.
From what we've seen of the T6, it does look like a lovely vehicle, but if we're honest, not really significantly different from the T5 we own now. I guess there could be refinements in the drive/interior, but purely going off the brochures, as some have said on here already, more of a T5.1.

So with those thoughts in mind, based on what we already know of our current T5, and thinking ahead to the trips we're looking forward to, for us, it would be an easy decision....try to see if we could use the T6 news to help us get a good deal on a T5 somewhere.

Bottom line for us, we'd want one now, we wouldn't be prepared to wait.

We may upgrade to a T6 in years to come, but don't hold us to that ;)

Good luck with your dilemma!

Thanks for the replies and welcomes, really appreciated!

I have decided on getting a new T5 which I'm hopefully collecting tomorrow.
I'm expecting my Cali to one of my most favourite vehicles ever, along with my Caterham Seven.

@hotel california T5 To date I've havent actually done F1 yet. I did put my name down this year, but as you can imagine its a very popular event, and I didn't get picked! I'm up at Brands Hatch every other weekend, and I'm really looking forward to taking the California up there. I can oftern drive on the track to my post on the circuit, so I will see how she handles around Paddock Hill Bend!

If all goes well at the Dealers, my first camping trip will be there this coming weekend. I'm a bit nervous about getting things wrong, would appreciate any first time tips, etc I will be there for 3 nights, with no hook-up, so I'm assuming the leisure batteries will be ok? Do I need to flush out the water tank before use? Any tips on raising and lowering the roof, as I will more than likely be doing it on my own!

Thanks again

Chris

Last edited:
The owners manual says flush out before use. Which I read drinking tea from the water tank, no ill effects !!!!!!!
Welcome along good luck finding a Cali

The most important single thing is to avoid cutting the roof bellows in the scissor mechanism when lowering the roof.

Have a down-wind door open to reduce the pressure inside & watch carefully with your head up in the roof space to see that the bellows folds inwards & not outwards at the rear sides.

You will find all the other less-urgent tips soon enough!

Welcome Chris, congratulations on your decision :thumb

Thank you for the tips guide 2CV67, there is so much to learn! I will read through it several times before this weekend, so what can go wrong?? lol

Thanks for the welcome too motacyclist and Meoncoast!

Hi Christoff, Roof procedures should be fully explained with your handover. I would recommend firing up the diesel heater and giving it a good blast to get rid of any running in smells ( it will make ticking noises, that is the diesel pump and perfectly normal.) Also stick your van on hookup at home to make sure it is fully charged. Don't forget to source your Camping Gaz 907 bottle and fit it too.

Thanks
Hi Christoff, Roof procedures should be fully explained with your handover. I would recommend firing up the diesel heater and giving it a good blast to get rid of any running in smells ( it will make ticking noises, that is the diesel pump and perfectly normal.) Also stick your van on hookup at home to make sure it is fully charged. Don't forget to source your Camping Gaz 907 bottle and fit it too.
Thanks Larry, have just bought my Gas bottle.
collecting Van tomorrow now, so that should give me enough time to setup and get acquainted before Friday!