Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Luxembourg

• Thread starter campermanluxembourg
  • Start date
C

campermanluxembourg

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all, I've just joined this forum as I have found it useful for info on these VWs and working out a suitable spec. We are a family of 5 living in Luxembourg so whilst it is a bit of a squeeze into a beach 6.1 but the kids are young and we have been meaning to buy one for ages. I finally got the courage to commit even if it's going to be a long wait. I'll share the full spec when it's finally locked but I ended up pretty much bringing the equipment level up to Ocean but with the 3 seat bench and obviously less kitchen involved :D In short I went for LEDs, climate, night heater and DCC as I find this a hugely useful feature on long trips. I have ordered a 4motion DSG model but I gather I can switch things if I need to before the slot is finalised, I don't know whether we truly need 4x4 but given we have pretty harsh winters and we want to use this all year round it made sense as it's not something you can add later. We have a touran already so I think the actual drive will be very close to that experience.

We are looking forward to exploring lots of Europe with the van when it arrives as we are really well placed to go anywhere from here. I do a lot of cycling so my plan is to use it for some future alpine adventures with friends as well. Hope to see some of you out here in a campsite one day!

Did you spec the 199PS biturbo motor? If yes, the 4Mo makes perfect sense. Lots of torque induced wheel spin in wet conditions with FWD and higher HP motor. And the Haldex system is great for more than just getting you off the wet grass or over a snow covered pass.

Welcome and wish we had one when we lived in Luxembourg - great stepping off point to explore so much of Europe. Enjoy

Did you spec the 199PS biturbo motor? If yes, the 4Mo makes perfect sense. Lots of torque induced wheel spin in wet conditions with FWD and higher HP motor. And the Haldex system is great for more than just getting you off the wet grass or over a snow covered pass.
I really wish you hadn’t mentioned that! After agonising on the spec multiple times wondering about 2 v 4wd I’ve gone for the 150 motor, it’s something like €5k more for the extra 50hp so it doesn’t make sense, neither vehicle is exactly built for speed. Our Touran is 110hp, the last one we had was 150. Initially I noticed it but now it’s forgotten, my expectations are limited (I also have a remapped c63 estate so that’s ‘slightly’ faster ). The extra weight is a bit of a concern but the residuals and ability to drive all season with proper tyres on is compelling. I figure it’s our first one so get as good as spec as we can justify, if we like it a d the hybrid version coming along is good then we will shift to that in future and I will probably hand over the keys to the v8 and petrol head card with it!

Unbelievable news this afternoon, having ordered last Sunday the dealer called me to say the van is already in production and will be with in MAY!! Got very lucky as apparently the 150 4motion scheduling gods decided it was my day. :D super happy for this summer's travels!

I didn’t share the final van spec but it’s pretty full for a beach. I added the led, aux heater (winter pack with heated screen/seats), rear ac, rear camera, upgraded top tent thing, bike rackplus acc, dsg as both those make life so much easier and it’s a 4 motion/150. I’ll probably remap it as soon as she’s run in as I am not scared by such things, most of my cars get the same treatment. Steel wheels! Actually really like these as I thought all the alloys were quite crap for the money. I am planning to get some more off-road style rims in future. Just bought some mudflaps as they salt the roads like a pork belly in winter here. Off to south France tomorrow for the first outing, I will report back!

I didn’t share the final van spec but it’s pretty full for a beach. I added the led, aux heater (winter pack with heated screen/seats), rear ac, rear camera, upgraded top tent thing, bike rackplus acc, dsg as both those make life so much easier and it’s a 4 motion/150. I’ll probably remap it as soon as she’s run in as I am not scared by such things, most of my cars get the same treatment. Steel wheels! Actually really like these as I thought all the alloys were quite crap for the money. I am planning to get some more off-road style rims in future. Just bought some mudflaps as they salt the roads like a pork belly in winter here. Off to south France tomorrow for the first outing, I will report back!
I forgot to mention, it’s not in the garage as she won’t fit, the angle is too steep. Maybe fully loaded I could free in but I decided I wasn’t going to try so full DIY ceramic coat and she should be fine for all seasons…

745B04EF-D364-4FFD-B27C-BCDE6F9872B8.jpeg
They may not look that happy here but the first night was a success! Did 800k down to the Ardèche and have lucked out with beautiful weather. It’s very easy to drive and setup even in the dark. One slight error, I left the comfort mattress at home as I’d got it out to treat it with fabric protection. An emergency inflatable mattress from decathlon did the job, albeit not nearly as comfortable as the real thing. So easy to drive and already am a van convert! This is the way with kids!

View attachment 91835
They may not look that happy here but the first night was a success! Did 800k down to the Ardèche and have lucked out with beautiful weather. It’s very easy to drive and setup even in the dark. One slight error, I left the comfort mattress at home as I’d got it out to treat it with fabric protection. An emergency inflatable mattress from decathlon did the job, albeit not nearly as comfortable as the real thing. So easy to drive and already am a van convert! This is the way with kids!
Love this photo! The kids look over the moon :D
We (family of 4 with kids aged 3 and 5) just arrived in Luxembourg and intend to get a California to explore Europe with. Is there a local group of VW Cali owners that we can connect with? Would be cool to share trip ideas, etc. I searched FB and Meetup but I guess the community is too small for a bespoke group. That being said, there is a dealer around the corner and I spot them everywhere!

Love this photo! The kids look over the moon :D
We (family of 4 with kids aged 3 and 5) just arrived in Luxembourg and intend to get a California to explore Europe with. Is there a local group of VW Cali owners that we can connect with? Would be cool to share trip ideas, etc. I searched FB and Meetup but I guess the community is too small for a bespoke group. That being said, there is a dealer around the corner and I spot them everywhere!
I arrived in Germany last Sept and have had a Coast on order since Nov 2020 for exactly the same reason... a tool to travel around and discover mainland Europe.

I arrived in Germany last Sept and have had a Coast on order since Nov 2020 for exactly the same reason... a tool to travel around and discover mainland Europe.
You have to order them so far in advance? I better get cracking :)

You have to order them so far in advance? I better get cracking :)
Well we ordered ours this year and it only took 6 weeks but I think we were very lucky. I don’t know any groups here but plenty of owners driving around! They are perfect for seeing Europe

I was told by a colleague in Belgium that there are some great places to visit with a van/bike in Luxembourg. Any recommendations?