Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Glasgow

mr_glasgow84

mr_glasgow84

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi everyone,

Martin from Glasgow here. My wife and I are currently considering a new Ocean but have no experience of campervans, so joining the forum seemed sensible. I’ve been speaking to the two Lookers VW Commercial dealerships in Glasgow who have been very helpful. We intend to visit one during the Easter holidays to have a good look inside an Ocean, having only every had a look at the exterior of one parked up and watching loads of videos on YouTube to learn as much as we can.

I’ve also made contact with the Sytner Group in England to enquire if the Cali is included in their Affinity Partners pricing as I am eligible through my work. Hopefully I’ll hear back from someone soon.

If the viewing goes well, we plan to rent a Cali from Four Seasons in Loch Lomond and spend a few nights at some campsites before we make a very expensive mistake. I feel like I’m already sold on the idea so I’m secretly hoping my wife and our three year old daughter take to it!

Cheers,

Martin

Welcome Martin!
Renting is best I guess and maybe have a look at other layouts or designs? Bigger ones or smaller ideas (VW Caddy Beach), totally different ones like a proper motorhome. And when choosing an Ocean become VIP to get all the check list in the download section!

Look forward to hear more about your experience with the obe from 4 seasons and your decicion.

Happy camping

Hi everyone,

Martin from Glasgow here. My wife and I are currently considering a new Ocean but have no experience of campervans, so joining the forum seemed sensible. I’ve been speaking to the two Lookers VW Commercial dealerships in Glasgow who have been very helpful. We intend to visit one during the Easter holidays to have a good look inside an Ocean, having only every had a look at the exterior of one parked up and watching loads of videos on YouTube to learn as much as we can.

I’ve also made contact with the Sytner Group in England to enquire if the Cali is included in their Affinity Partners pricing as I am eligible through my work. Hopefully I’ll hear back from someone soon.

If the viewing goes well, we plan to rent a Cali from Four Seasons in Loch Lomond and spend a few nights at some campsites before we make a very expensive mistake. I feel like I’m already sold on the idea so I’m secretly hoping my wife and our three year old daughter take to it!

Cheers,

Martin
Hi Martin , we got our Cali from the Darnley branch. It’s a fantastic vehicle. Go for it, and welcome to the forum.

Hi Martin, welcome. Good call coming on here, loads of lovely people will give you loads and loads of advice. Read old threads and ask away!! If you have a little 3 year old, and you can afford it. A Cali is a great family vehicle/ holiday machine/ van/ mini office/ mini living area/ hotel/ adventure wagon and general car . Also consider the beach, its £10k cheaper, which is a huge saving (albeit you dont get as much). I decided on a looking for an ocean and eventually went with a Beach for several reasons, and have no regrets, but both options are amazing. Only problem owning a Cali is you will fall in love with it and it become your 2nd baby. Ive Just finished washing my Cali AGAIN o_O:thumb

Hi Martin , we got our Cali from the Darnley branch. It’s a fantastic vehicle. Go for it, and welcome to the forum.

Tried to send you a PM but I don’t see the option to. That’s the site I’ll most likely visit and if I remember rightly, it was Martin I spoke to on the phone. Do they offer any sort of deals against the Cali or is it pretty much take it or leave it at RRP?

Hi Martin,
Got our one from Baillieston branch,and got a cracking deal.
Tried Darnley,they were only interested in selling finance,and giving no discount whatsoever.
Dougie.

Clark Commercials in Edinburgh also rent the Ocean. We used them in Aberdeen to rent for a weekend and got a good price - great way to see if it suits you.

Tried to send you a PM but I don’t see the option to. That’s the site I’ll most likely visit and if I remember rightly, it was Martin I spoke to on the phone. Do they offer any sort of deals against the Cali or is it pretty much take it or leave it at RRP?
Hi Martin sorry for the late reply just back from a long weekend up in Glenmore. I dealt with Brian Kennedy good guy, I got an 8% discount. This was January last year, I think Brian has left now.

Thanks to you all for your replies and information/advice. Are the discounts against a cash sale or on the PCP or HP? Would 10% be the best I could hope for do you think?

Is a discount on the RRP the best thing to aim for?

Thanks to you all for your replies and information/advice. Are the discounts against a cash sale or on the PCP or HP? Would 10% be the best I could hope for do you think?

Is a discount on the RRP the best thing to aim for?
Mine was a cash sale, sorry I should have mentioned that.

Tom

Hi MTM

Autoebid offer 8.5% off RRP, you can configure the exact vehicle you want via their website. Autoebid out you in direct contact with the VW dealer, and the vehicle is supplied via VW dealers.

If Autoebid does not appeal, do not write it off, go through the process of configuration of the exact vehicle you want, do exactly the same with the same spec on the VW configurator and save both sets of results on the relevant websites ( take screen shots of each page helps remember what you’ve chosen)
Autoebid will be 8.5% below the VW configuration.
Note both the configuration numbers and save both builds (Autoebid and VW)

Go speak to several VW franchised dealers, not necessarily local, ( look locally, not necessarily buy) mention autoebid and early in the process and clearly state the 8.5% discount, but do not give the dealer the auto bid quote number,
Instead give the dealer the VW configuration number from the VW web configurator, this will tell them your exact specification and allow them to assess the cost.

Negotiate hard, discounts are possible and routine, it is up to you to decide what you believe is a good discount.

Alternatively look at demonstrators, stock vehicles at dealers, who have registered them to hit sales targets, these are usually brand new, delivery Mile vehicles, registered to the VW dealer. Discounts and deals can be more significant than a factory build, with the added benefit of driving the vehicle away after cutting the deal,

I bought a demonstrator with less than 200 miles on the clock, mahoosive spec, which equated to over 10% discount, I drove the vehicle away shortly after test driving.

Make sure you get included the extended 5 year warranty and service plan ( usually 2 services for a fixed fee, (i think it was about £150 last year)

Not all dealers are the same, some good some bad, some indifferent.

Guy at Preston gives good prices Straight off the bat, some dealers won’t even be bothered to contact you back ! (Madness)

Search this forum for past posts for additional info

Good luck and welcome future Cali owner!

Post if you need any help / questions etc, some friendly knowledgeable person will answer any / all questions you may have.

We’ve all been there before :)

Last edited:
Recent cash sale about 12% discount all up

Care to share the dealer details and brief vehicle details here to help others ?

I presume it wasn’t cash cash but a bank transfer?

Your profile doesn’t show Cali type, :)

Hi MTM

Autoebid offer 8.5% off RRP, you can configure the exact vehicle you want via their website. Autoebid out you in direct contact with the VW dealer, and the vehicle is supplied via VW dealers.

If Autoebid does not appeal, do not write it off, go through the process of configuration of the exact vehicle you want, do exactly the same with the same spec on the VW configurator and save both sets of results on the relevant websites ( take screen shots of each page helps remember what you’ve chosen)
Autoebid will be 8.5% below the VW configuration.
Note both the configuration numbers and save both builds (Autoebid and VW)

Go speak to several VW franchised dealers, not necessarily local, ( look locally, not necessarily buy) mention autoebid and early in the process and clearly state the 8.5% discount, but do not give the dealer the auto bid quote number,
Instead give the dealer the VW configuration number from the VW web configurator, this will tell them your exact specification and allow them to assess the cost.

Negotiate hard, discounts are possible and routine, it is up to you to decide what you believe is a good discount.

Alternatively look at demonstrators, stock vehicles at dealers, who have registered them to hit sales targets, these are usually brand new, delivery Mile vehicles, registered to the VW dealer. Discounts and deals can be more significant than a factory build, with the added benefit of driving the vehicle away after cutting the deal,

I bought a demonstrator with less than 200 miles on the clock, mahoosive spec, which equated to over 10% discount, I drove the vehicle away shortly after test driving.

Make sure you get included the extended 5 year warranty and service plan ( usually 2 services for a fixed fee, (i think it was about £150 last year)

Not all dealers are the same, some good some bad, some indifferent.

Guy at Preston gives good prices Straight off the bat, some dealers won’t even be bothered to contact you back ! (Madness)

Search this forum for past posts for additional info

Good luck and welcome future Cali owner!

Post if you need any help / questions etc, some friendly knowledgeable person will answer any / all questions you may have.

We’ve all been there before :)

Very helpful indeed - thanks very much!

Do the demonstrators or vehicles in stock still come with the options to finance vet the ten years or even pcp?

Thanks again.

Martin

Very helpful indeed - thanks very much!

Do the demonstrators or vehicles in stock still come with the options to finance vet the ten years or even pcp?

Thanks again.

Martin

The dealer still need to sell, yes, I believe all finance options should be available, the finance is via VWUK not the dealer.

Do not forget the extended warranty during negotiations 5 years

Last edited: