Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Denmark

Jakob

Jakob

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi everyone

We don't seem to have a Californiaforum/group in Denmark so I joined here to get some information, tips and tricks for our possible first purchase of the California.

We are a family of four - My wife, my two girls (6 and 9) and myself. We are thinking of buying our first California next year maybe. We have talked about hiring for a week or two just to get a feel of how big a problem (if any) the size of the van is for us. Economically we're not ready for a purchase until at least next summer but I like to be well prepared ;-)

We have been camping in cottages in campsites, a couple years in a tent (Denmark, Netherlands, France, Germany). The last couple years we've had a Camplet (Denmark, Germany, France, Luxembourg) which we've generally been really happy with, but like a tent, it does take some time to pitch. Especially on travel days its a hassle to get up early and prepare everything for the days travel. So we're looking for some more mobility but still comfort and a vehicle size that can get around like an everyday vehicle.

Looking forward to learning a lot more about the California.

Jakob

Hi and welcome , you did good joining here in the search for info and getting to know the Cali ....
Are you planning for a Beach or SE/ Ocean ?

Hello Welcome
kids should love it

Hi and welcome , you did good joining here in the search for info and getting to know the Cali ....
Are you planning for a Beach or SE/ Ocean ?

Thanks. I've been looking at the used market, and there aren't that many for sale. Most have automatic electronic roof (isn't that SE/Ocean only?). Maybe we'll end up importing from Germany.
The price of cars is crazy here so a used Cali 2005-08 range is usually around €50.000,- so its a big investment and therefore also a big decision. ;-)

You wil have to chose between or T5 SE(on T6 Ocean) witch got only 4 seats but the wardrobes and kitchen,
or a Beach witch can go up tp 7 seats but has no storage or kitchen built in.
Are prices that high in Denmark for a used Cali?

Ah ok. We're fairly certain that we need some storage. Our main concern have been if the Cali will be too cramped especially if the weather is bad (which it usually is in Denmark), but we're really hooked on trying it.
I wonder if some people bring a small tent for the kids or maybe som extra storage for when the bottom bed is made - or maybe the storage in the van is enough?

Yes the prices at really high in Denmark. The state puts a 180% tax on all cars :Nailbiting

I wonder if some people bring a small tent for the kids or maybe som extra storage for when the bottom bed is made - or maybe the storage in the van is enough?

We are planning a 12 - 15 month tour of Europe in a Beach with two very young boys and two dogs.

We plan to buy a large driveaway awning: http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/low/390-galli-low.html.

When camping, the awning will serve as living room, kitchen, dining room and storage, and the van as two double beds (the boys will sleep with one along the bench seat and the other along the bench seat back).

Velkommen ;-)

You are right, the newer Calis are hard to get in DK, holding a god price and sold seldom. Actually it took me years to get hold on one. Importing might also be a challenge – its more expensive (been thru all that) and most of the cars in germany are very well equipped, and that makes taxes high. Even the tax was lovered from 180% to 150% this year.

But its not impossible to find a nice car ;-)

I never saw the Beach in DK and ist not sold. And in my opinion its only interesting if you need the extra space and seats on a daily basis. When traveling you will need al the stuff (cocker, cool, storage) that are already in a Coast or Ocean.

It is a good idea to rent one before buying. Its a small camper and the benefit og the smaller size, takes some planing and routines. But It seems everything finds its place and suddenly you will see it works well. It is a little like the life on a small boat. So its not impossible, but great when you reach the point when things and routines is working swift and hassle free.

When you go on your first trip, you will see that you bought way to much stuff, and you can go with less. That said, there are many storage options in, on and outside the cali.

Just dig into this forum, and you will find gold …

Hello and welcome Jakob,
Hiring a Cali should help you to answer your concerns but if possible I would suggest hiring an SE/Ocean and then a Beach version to give yourselves a feel for these two very different designs. The SE/Ocean verses Beach - which is best debate, has been a constant topic of discussion on the forum but the answer really depends on your personal circumstances and how you intend to use your Cali and only you can answer that.

IMO the SE/Ocean is the gold standard in campervans and is utterly superb at what it is designed to do - going camping. It can also be easily used as a four seater day to day vehicle. However the internal design featuring the kitchen and storage facilities are fixed and cannot be altered or removed.

The Beach comes in two versions. A four seater which includes a two seater rear bench seat (the same as in the SE/Ocean) and a long and very useful storage box. This version converts into a very large flat double bed downstairs with the usual double upstairs.

The second version of the Beach features a three seat bench seat with the option of two further removable swivel seats between the bench and the front seats, making this version a full seven seater. The three seat bench again converts into a large double bed which is slightly higher than in the other version of the Beach. Make sure you order the VW comfort mattress though as this turns an instrument of torture into a comfortable bed.

Again IMO the Beach version and especially the seven seater makes an extremely versatile general purpose vehicle that lends itself to all of the differing demands of family life. You do not of course have a fixed kitchen or storage facilities as in the SE/Ocean. However as most people cook outside and storage can easily be provided to suit your needs using a range of storage boxes this isn't really a problem.

One final consideration is design complexity and the potential for problems. Given the numbers of Calis produced the number of issues that occur is, I am sure, relatively few but IMO the Beach does have a slight advantage here in that it has a manual roof instead of the SE/Ocean's complicated electro/hydraulic roof. Also it doesn't have any of the complexities associated with the kitchen/gas/fridge/storage instalation in the Se/Ocean.

Which ever Cali you choose to buy make sure you buy one with an awning and the diesel powered blown air parking heater. Both are essential items and are what makes a Cali such a briliant all year round camper.

Finally for touring and camping some people have a drive away awning that can be attached to the awning rail whist others use a small tent. Either way and at the very least, these are very useful for storage to dump all the stuff that you don't want inside the vehicle when parked. We just have a Comfortz awning room which attaches to the wind out awning and can be put up and taken down in minutes.

What ever you decide to do, good luck and happy adventures.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for all the replies. Looking forward to dig into the forum ;-)