Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Cornwall

K

Kernow Flat Top

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Morning all, I'm Richard. We have recently purchased our first camper van, a model T5 California. We used to love camping, but gave up around 7 years ago when we moved to Cornwall. Have to say not the best start to ownership. On the way back home noticed a knocking noise coming from the front. Turned out to be a broken coil spring (It was a private sale, so nothing could be done). I had both front springs, struts & top mounts replaced & it drives lovely now. Another few things to sort out too. I think the leisure batteries may need replacing, as I've charged them to 100% (on the main display). Left the van idle for a couple days & they have dropped to 50% (I guess the previous owners did not hookup/charge when not used). These things are to be expected being that its a 2006 model. Oh, the gearbox in the awning appears to need replacing too, as first use (I did wind out slightly prior to purchase), it would not wind back & made a clicking noise.

Based on the great information from forums, we have ordered a Duvalay mattress topper. I have installed a wireless reverse camera yesterday, which seems to work a treat.

Now to get an awning. From past experience, it will have to be an air awning. I will check the forum out to see what seems to be a good one. Top of the list at the moment is Outdoor Revolution Cayman air low or the Cayman combo.

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday

Here's to good times & adventures for all

Best wishes Richard & Emma

BTW not sue about a name for the Cali yet. Emma likes Arnie, I was thinking Stan, or at the moment I feel PITA maybe appropriate :D

Sounds like you have the PITA in hand!

Awnings super personal, everyone will tell you to buy the one they have. We got a smallish one as we just needed a little extra space when static and did not want a massive tent, others needs differ.

Vango, Outdoor Revolution and Outwell seem to be the favoured makes. We have a Vango and super happy with it. My sister has the same one and hates it…

At nearly 20 years old one guesses your repairs are not over, but that’s half the fun I’d guess on the older ones ;)

I’d imagine the leisures have had their day - they may have a date on them of manufacture. Only so many times you can charge and discharge them. Might be worth checking the voltage rather than display percentage.

Have fun! You’re in the perfect location for a Cali.

Our was named chip .And for good reason never know what will fail next.On a good note once worked through niggles you will make fab memories. Two years in now and Chip always brings a smile when away and the odd grimace.
Enjoy

Morning all, I'm Richard. We have recently purchased our first camper van, a model T5 California. We used to love camping, but gave up around 7 years ago when we moved to Cornwall. Have to say not the best start to ownership. On the way back home noticed a knocking noise coming from the front. Turned out to be a broken coil spring (It was a private sale, so nothing could be done). I had both front springs, struts & top mounts replaced & it drives lovely now. Another few things to sort out too. I think the leisure batteries may need replacing, as I've charged them to 100% (on the main display). Left the van idle for a couple days & they have dropped to 50% (I guess the previous owners did not hookup/charge when not used). These things are to be expected being that its a 2006 model. Oh, the gearbox in the awning appears to need replacing too, as first use (I did wind out slightly prior to purchase), it would not wind back & made a clicking noise.

Based on the great information from forums, we have ordered a Duvalay mattress topper. I have installed a wireless reverse camera yesterday, which seems to work a treat.

Now to get an awning. From past experience, it will have to be an air awning. I will check the forum out to see what seems to be a good one. Top of the list at the moment is Outdoor Revolution Cayman air low or the Cayman combo.

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday

Here's to good times & adventures for all

Best wishes Richard & Emma

BTW not sue about a name for the Cali yet. Emma likes Arnie, I was thinking Stan, or at the moment I feel PITA maybe appropriate :D
I never plug mine in at home (2012 T5+1) and never had a problem with batteries.

Luck of the draw I guess.

Sounds like you have fix a lot of things, I hope you bought it cheap.

I never plug mine in at home (2012 T5+1) and never had a problem with batteries.

No such thing as a cheap cali in UK.I had to fix loads of minor faults .Ac been one off them just this week after 2 years of ownership .So happy that box is ticked now as much needed with the heatwave the UK has had this summer.

No, unfortunately it was not cheap. As Crushed said, no cheap Cali's

Leisure batteries seeming to be holding charge, so charging may of done the trick. I hope as I had to replace, a partially seized front brake caliper yesterday. I ended up replacing both front calipers, discs & pads. I guess at least they've been done now

Well, Kernow FT, it sounds like you really know what you’re doing. A few repairs definitely help the bonding process! Sounds like you’re getting on well together