Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Height barriers - Will it? Won't it? How to be certain? 1.98m

I’m 180cm tall. Getting under the barrier and bob up and down on my toes. Quick height test to see if my hair can hit the barrier. .

in all seriousness I think I’ll try and stick to >2.1m now if I have the choice. Not good for the ticker

Yes, I've always thought there were a few options if things were tight:
* Find some volunteers to get on board too
* Find a tap and fill all the water tanks
* Let down the tyres.

Measuring the height of the van is a bit tricky, and in fact I think height barriers are a good way to do it. I keep meaning to pump up my tyres, empty the tanks, remove all unnecessary cargo and passengers, then go and stop underneath a height barrier somewhere, measure the gap between roof and barrier, and then measure the actual height of the barrier from the ground (which often isn't the same as what's painted on it).

Haven't done it yet, though...

I avoid car parks and on tolls in Europe use the truck lane, never been charged incorrectly and if there's a que the truck lane moves the quickest, works for me.

Reactions: JDA
I avoid car parks and on tolls in Europe use the truck lane, never been charged incorrectly and if there's a que the truck lane moves the quickest, works for me.
I always take the empty lanes. On busy highways in France, I take the most left toll booths. The ones with the 2m barriers. Just take one with an even barrier, not one hanging down one side. Never had a problem, and you'll be off quicker and on the left lane, so easier to pick up speed and pass the slower cars on the right.

Here's what I've got in mind with what I had around me., M8 bolts mounted in plastic electrical conduit, visible from the driver's seat.

IMG_20200726_121121.jpg

IMG_20200726_121157.jpg
I'd want to use M10 or M12 nylon nuts and bolts for the proper one. The roof slopes towards the front, so the pipe needs to be raised on the bolt at the front.

Idea being that I could either leave it installed all the time, or slot it in place near to the destination with a barrier. It doesn't matter whether I am loaded, unloaded, low or high tyre pressures, whether the barrier is correctly marked or not, if the pipe fits through on that particular day, then the van will fit through. I'd probably put one on each side, in case of a bent barrier, and I think it would be easier to look across to the opposite side of the van to see whether it hits.

I’m 180cm tall. Getting under the barrier and bob up and down on my toes. Quick height test to see if my hair can hit the barrier. .

in all seriousness I think I’ll try and stick to >2.1m now if I have the choice. Not good for the ticker
Does that depend on if you’ve had a haircut or not

You could carry a top hat; that should be about the right size. Whenever you're uncertain, just get out, put your top hat on, and walk up and down under the barrier. I'm sure everyone behind you in the queue would understand, though you might want to put on white tie and tails as well, just so they didn't think you looked silly.

The awning adds slightly to the stated height. Anyway, I'll never forget an incident a few years back, when I drove into a multi-storey car park (not in the Cali) and completely forgot that I had my old vintage Moulton bike on the roof-rack! Totally ruined it!

Here's what I've got in mind with what I had around me., M8 bolts mounted in plastic electrical conduit, visible from the driver's seat.

View attachment 63440

View attachment 63441
I'd want to use M10 or M12 nylon nuts and bolts for the proper one. The roof slopes towards the front, so the pipe needs to be raised on the bolt at the front.

Idea being that I could either leave it installed all the time, or slot it in place near to the destination with a barrier. It doesn't matter whether I am loaded, unloaded, low or high tyre pressures, whether the barrier is correctly marked or not, if the pipe fits through on that particular day, then the van will fit through. I'd probably put one on each side, in case of a bent barrier, and I think it would be easier to look across to the opposite side of the van to see whether it hits.
I would pick up a WiFi reversing camera which is being discussed on another thread on here and put it at a good place from where I just switch it on when I reach a height barrier. Check out that as an option.

In our old van (Hiace hi-top) we went in to a Sainsburies underground car park with about 5Cm to spare. The exit was much lower though. We didn’t think to check and it wrecked the fan light on the roof. Had to gaffer tape it on for the whole holiday and then have a new one fitted.
Moral of the story, don’t assume the out is the same as the in.

I took our T5 camper (not a Cali) to a friends barn/cart shed with level floor and set up my expensive survey green laser level so it was spinning a nice green line across the van and simply raised it till it cleared val all the way along then took reading on the staff - exactly 2.0m (unladden). Sticker marked with overall sizes on windscreen. I've then got some old collapsible tent poles 2.05 long making verticals and another set approx 2.5m long that slip onto top of verticals which has small spirit level on - all fold up into small bag. Then at any barriers it only takes 5 mins to put together on check barrier height :) I'd show you a picture but my camper is somewhere on West Coast of Ireland with my son since 1st July! Hope it's back by Sept!!

A laser measure? Honestly? We are too old and old fashioned, probably.... :oops:

Our recipe: get out, have a look, drive slowly, repeat...

I'm in architecture so use one for surveying - not suggesting anyone goes out and buys one at £450!!!!!

I would pick up a WiFi reversing camera which is being discussed on another thread on here and put it at a good place from where I just switch it on when I reach a height barrier. Check out that as an option.
Another idea which requires no wiring is to fit a mini security camera which wirelessly connects to your smartphone. This could be attached to the front face of the awning to monitor barrier height as you approach, as and when required. Additional security benefits for when your dub is parked up.

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 10.13.24.png

Another idea which requires no wiring is to fit a mini security camera which wirelessly connects to your smartphone. This could be attached to the front face of the awning to monitor barrier height as you approach, as and when required. Additional security benefits for when your dub is parked up.

View attachment 63530
I really like this approach. The good thing about the reverse cameras is they can be solar powered. If something similar could be done here. That would be very handy

Resurrecting this thread due to new evidence. I've now discounted all ideas involving string, pipes, tape measures, cameras, lasers, sharks etc, after watching someone else deal with the problem.

My new rule of thumb is to use a thumb as a rule. Drive up to the barrier, stick a hand out of the window and feel how much clearance between the top of awning and the barrier. Thumb's length, then proceed, otherwise don't, or get out and have a closer look.

I've yet to properly calibrate my thumb though, as I've not yet tried a barrier lower than 2.05m. We have solar panels which I think add another few mm to the van height.

I drive gently up-to bar and stick my hand out of the window and onto the awning case, gently move forward, if your fingers dont get squashed then your ok.
You could tape a baby toy / dog toy with a squeaker to the top front of the awning - no squeak - safe to pass :D

Must admit the I hate the car parks, typically beach ones in the UK with the sign “Height restriction 2m or 6ft”. It’s NOT THE SAME!! We can manage 1.98m but not 6ft.

You could tape a baby toy / dog toy with a squeaker to the top front of the awning - no squeak - safe to pass :D
That's a great idea. I'm sure the kids will be supportive in the name of science. I'll suggest drilling a hole through their toy rabbit and bolting it to the awning.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a better use for an irritating singing toy doll from a very "chilly" animated film.

Must admit the I hate the car parks, typically beach ones in the UK with the sign “Height restriction 2m or 6ft”. It’s NOT THE SAME!! We can manage 1.98m but not 6ft.
The car park at Frimley hospital has 3 entrances. Two say 2M/6'7". one says 2M/6'5. only spotted there was a difference in the signage after I had been under the 6'5". loads of headroom in the car park though with no low hanging lights or signs.

Back