Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Height barriers - Will it? Won't it? How to be certain? 1.98m

When you have challenged your good sense and driven through the 2m limit toll tunnel A86 Paris by-pass sussing out carpark height limits is a doddle :) This road tunnel spikes the blood pressure!
been there, done it. Every sign in that tunnel looks too low

A local carpark has a barrier signposted 1.98m. According to the manual our T6 Beach is 1.99m to 2.03m.

We did drive up to it to see if there was any margin, and although my wife stood outside to check she said it wasn't that easy to see whether it will fit through before it is too late. (these weren't her exact words!)

What do you do if it looks a bit tight, or the barrier looks damaged?

Anyone fitted anything sacrificial on to the front of the roof to act as a telltale?

Or carried a bit of dowel or similar the same height as the van?

I was thinking of carrying a laser tape measure in the van and to hop out and measure the height of the barrier at both ends and the middle. I'd need to also accurately measure the van height accurately loaded and unloaded.

Img_1558.jpg

Img_1559.jpg

A local carpark has a barrier signposted 1.98m. According to the manual our T6 Beach is 1.99m to 2.03m.

We did drive up to it to see if there was any margin, and although my wife stood outside to check she said it wasn't that easy to see whether it will fit through before it is too late. (these weren't her exact words!)

Anyone fitted anything sacrificial on to the front of the roof to act as a telltale?

I was thinking of carrying a laser tape measure in the van and to hop out and measure the height of the barrier at both ends and the middle. I'd need to also accurately measure the van height accurately loaded and unloaded.

Img_1558.jpg

Img_1560.jpg

Apologies for the double posting.

I keep posting some pics, they don't show up so I repost and the post is there twice. I delete one post and they both go.

It''s fairly easy to see if there is clearance on our 2010 California 4motion because the Fiamma awning is the highest point (despite having solar panels on the roof.

When you have challenged your good sense and driven through the 2m limit toll tunnel A86 Paris by-pass sussing out carpark height limits is a doddle :) This road tunnel spikes the blood pressure!
You have my admiration, I passed through there in an SUV a couple of years ago when the satnav had an ”I know best “ moment and that was bad enough.
The French van in front had mm to spare was pulling away and was obviously working on the basis that anything oversize would be knocked or filed off.

Going into the local dump, fine. Coming out without 5 flatpack wardrobes, not so fine. Fill the van with people.

1: Lower your van (fit it with air suspension)
2: Duck, always duck. Never had any damage so it helps.
3: Don't forget the bike-rack (easy to check in your rear mirror)

I once entered a parking garage which stated 205cm on the sings (so plenty of headspace) but there was almost no room left when I drove up the ramp to the next floor.

I don't risk multi-storey carparks now after an 'incident' in Staines a few years ago - got in no problem, but once inside, found the ceilings sloped down in the parking bays. Decided to leave, found the exit barrier was too low and we got caught on it. Ended up with OH driving out while I held up the barrier, then jumped in the van and drove off quick as the security guard ran over shouting at us :eek: Won't be trying that again.

I always carry a steel tape measure as described in the picture above and always measure the barriers they are nearly always higher than the sign,I’ve only ever not been able to get under one that being at Pembroke Martello tower

Check if the ground is level too as if there’s a bit of a divot, the front or rear end will dip, the you know what’s gonna happen, that 2m will seem like 1.9..... we found that out locally when entering a car park earlier this year, that had uneven ground! It took the end bracket off the rear end of the awning...luckily it snapped back on. Lesson learnt.

Apologies for the double posting.

I keep posting some pics, they don't show up so I repost and the post is there twice. I delete one post and they both go.
That’s called technology. It’s not what it’s cracked up to be

Why would I let my tyres down when they don't let me down?

If they say 2 meters, they always have some margin. For me it's easy. If I can get under the barrier (by foot) without having to duck my head, I feel how much space there is left. Mostly a 2 meter barrier has 15 to 20 cm left from the top of my head. Meaning I have 10 - 15 cm left for the van. No problems.

Truck drivers use an L-shaped measuring frame, although it may seem overcomplex to us but they lose driving licenses etc. on getting stuck, we get away with a damaged car. Measure if you are unsure or choose another location.

Lots of great replies. Thanks. :)

My fundamental problem is that if the barrier is too low, then by the time it scrapes the roof then it is too late, it has already cost me a respray and a family argument.

It's a rainy day here, so I've been thinking about an early warning solution that's less entertaining for any audience, and more elegant than standing on the step or hand signaling furiously with my wife!

Here's a low tech idea:- Attach a pipe to the roof rails, pointing lengthways down the van. That then becomes the highest point by 5mm or so.

Something like this or maybe a bit narrower.

I can have it adjustable so that it can extend over the bonnet a little bit and I can see it from the comfort of the driver seat. If it touches the barrier then only the pipe gets damaged. If the barrier is just a hanging bar, then the pipe can push the bar out of the way!

Here's a higher tech solution from another thread. Except the camera could be mounted on the roof rail somewhere. An electronic wife-on-the-roof if you like.

Yes, yes, I know I'm studiously avoiding the obvious tape measure solution, but I just don't want to get out of the van in the rain and measure the barrier :p

This thread has given me so much anxiety. As new owners, we have only attempted to parking garages. The first one it was clear we would fit, so we didn’t bother to think of it. The second attempt was extremely sketchy. Drove up to the barrier. Looked at each other, and drove away. Didn’t want to chance it.
happy to hear that we aren’t the only ones that second guess the height.

At the entrance of my garage a sign says "2 mt" but I measured that the ceiling height is actually 203 cm.
I've seen that I have no problem generally when a sign tells height is two meters at parking around Europe.
In case of doubt I think is possible to go out and check! Maximum height should be in the middle of the roof.
Awning is not a problem, it doesn't add much in height.
I checked that my T6 California Beach real weight was 199 cm.
Last month I mounted lowered springs (Eibach T6 Pro Kit) and now my van height is cm 196.

Height gap with my garage cm 203 ceiling.

foto 4.JPG

Lots of great replies. Thanks. :)

My fundamental problem is that if the barrier is too low, then by the time it scrapes the roof then it is too late, it has already cost me a respray and a family argument.

It's a rainy day here, so I've been thinking about an early warning solution that's less entertaining for any audience, and more elegant than standing on the step or hand signaling furiously with my wife!

Here's a low tech idea:- Attach a pipe to the roof rails, pointing lengthways down the van. That then becomes the highest point by 5mm or so.

Something like this or maybe a bit narrower.

I can have it adjustable so that it can extend over the bonnet a little bit and I can see it from the comfort of the driver seat. If it touches the barrier then only the pipe gets damaged. If the barrier is just a hanging bar, then the pipe can push the bar out of the way!

Here's a higher tech solution from another thread. Except the camera could be mounted on the roof rail somewhere. An electronic wife-on-the-roof if you like.

Yes, yes, I know I'm studiously avoiding the obvious tape measure solution, but I just don't want to get out of the van in the rain and measure the barrier :p
Keep it simple - Get air suspension.

I discovered that the awning is higher than the roof when I damaged it at a supermarket car park. I drove into a sloping canopy and should have reversed out but there was no car in front so drove though. Scraping noise but got away with only a scratch on the awing. Silly thing I have parked there lots of times and always reversed out. Must have been distracted.

Back