Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating & ventilation in new Cali

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello again

We are reading the books as you do with a new campervan; thought that the exhaust system of the supplementary heating system would protect us from CO (have bought monitor anyway) but the book advises not to have heating on 'in unventilated or enclosed areas'. Does this mean that we need to open a window as when cooking, surely this defeats the purpose?!

Many thanks
Emer & Hugh

This means the vehicle must be in a ventilated space, ie, not in a garage etc.

It is definitely safe to have the windows and doors closed :thumb

It would defeat the object :)

As James said, it means really only use the heater in an open space.

Fabulous piece of kit though,

Do not misunderand "heating" and "cooking"
You can use the coocker for heating but using the heater for cooking.....

Think there is a mix up in this topic

This means the vehicle must be in a ventilated space, ie, not in a garage etc.

It is definitely safe to have the windows and doors closed :thumb
Thank you, as with all these instruction books, don't make it as clear as the forum does!

E&H

Do not misunderand "heating" and "cooking"
You can use the coocker for heating but using the heater for cooking.....

Think there is a mix up in this topic
No, meant did we have to have a window open when heat on, similar to cooker instructions which advise window open when it is in use. Thank you

Thank you, as with all these instruction books, don't make it as clear as the forum does!

E&H

Always go to bed with the remote control within arms reach.

The first time that you wake up cold in the morning, or awake to a cold morning, you will fall in love.

One click, sink back under the duvet, give it five minutes, and all warm and snug.

Decadence in spades ....

The first time that you wake up cold in the morning, or awake to a cold morning, you will fall in love.

One click, sink back under the duvet, give it five minutes, and all warm and snug.

Decadence in spades ....

This, although reaching across to the heater button on the console is easy too

Decadence in spades ....

I would have thought your butler would operate the remote for you.

This, although reaching across to the heater button on the console is easy too

How long are your arms????????

I would have to half get out of bed

Last edited:
Window open when cooking as you are using the air inside the vehicle for the flame. So over a period Oxygen levels will drop and Carbon Dioxide levels rise - NOT GOOD.

When using Auxiliary heater then vehicle should be in open space. It uses air from outside vehicle for the combustion and takes air from inside to heat up and pass back into vehicle. Exhaust and heating air do not mix so safe to use with windows/doors shut.

During winter camping I leave the Auxiliary heater on low overnight. We do have the roof up thus you get ventilation through roof vents, or if roof is down then leave window open a little, but not because of the heater being on.

Window open when cooking as you are using the air inside the vehicle for the flame. So over a period Oxygen levels will drop and Carbon Dioxide levels rise - NOT GOOD.

When using Auxiliary heater then vehicle should be in open space. It uses air from outside vehicle for the combustion and takes air from inside to heat up and pass back into vehicle. Exhaust and heating air do not mix so safe to use with windows/doors shut.

During winter camping I leave the Auxiliary heater on low overnight. We do have the roof up thus you get ventilation through roof vents, or if roof is down then leave window open a little, but not because of the heater being on.
Many thanks for your comprehensive explanation, don't think we will read the books any more...

E&H

Decadence in spades ....
Brilliant. For how long and at what temperature does the heat come on with the remote control?

Brilliant. For how long and at what temperature does the heat come on with the remote control?

It will come on at the temperature that you last set on the console and will stay on until you press the other button on the remote control telling it to switch off, or until you switch on or off or adjust directly with the console.

For going to bed I normally set at level one or two, the lowest, get the van, me and duvet nice and warm, click off and when I wake up again, click on to turn it on at temperature last selected.

Decadence on a stick.

The programme settings are useful as well, I set mine on to warm the van up before I come home in the evening if I pop out for something to eat, or, like now, to warm the van up at periodic intervals through the night to prevent freezing.

Why not just leave it on set on level 1 overnight.

I know it's that Butler, got to give him something to do!:Grin

It will come on at the temperature that you last set on the console and will stay on until you press the other button on the remote control telling it to switch off, or until you switch on or off or adjust directly with the console.

For going to bed I normally set at level one or two, the lowest, get the van, me and duvet nice and warm, click off and when I wake up again, click on to turn it on at temperature last selected.

Decadence on a stick.

The programme settings are useful as well, I set mine on to warm the van up before I come home in the evening if I pop out for something to eat, or, like now, to warm the van up at periodic intervals through the night to prevent freezing.

Decadence on a stick.

Thanks, this is so helpful. Does keeping the heat on at night stop the Camping Gaz (butane) from freezing? We would love to try the van out this weekend!

I was in minus 7 two weeks ago and no problems.

Why not just leave it on set on level 1 overnight.

I know it's that Butler, got to give him something to do!:Grin

Too warm. I've tried leaving it on when I've gone to bed but even in freezing temperatures I have
got to warm.

The butler knows that I am not to be disturbed when at repose.

Back