Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

heater knocking noise

J

Jimbobob

We recently bought a Cali and needless to say it's fantastic but I have two questions: is there a problem with using the roof bed if it's raining, and secondly, when I first ran the heater (-5 on Dartmoor) I was dropping off to sleep when I heard what I thought was someone banging in tent pegs next to the van. After establishing that there was nobody setting up camp at midnight right next to me in the middle of nowhere, I realised that it was something to do with the heater making a knocking noise every second. It doesn't stop unless i turn the heater off but it's too irritating to sleep through. That night was the coldest i've ever spent. Any ideas out there as to what it could be.

Jimbobob said:
We recently bought a Cali and needless to say it's fantastic but I have two questions: is there a problem with using the roof bed if it's raining, and secondly, when I first ran the heater (-5 on Dartmoor) I was dropping off to sleep when I heard what I thought was someone banging in tent pegs next to the van. After establishing that there was nobody setting up camp at midnight right next to me in the middle of nowhere, I realised that it was something to do with the heater making a knocking noise every second. It doesn't stop unless i turn the heater off but it's too irritating to sleep through. That night was the coldest i've ever spent. Any ideas out there as to what it could be.

Hi Jimbobob and welcome to the forum.

To answer your first point yes in heavy rain you do need some extra protection to keep the roof bed warm and dry.

The two solutions are external protection with screens (Pucer screens) or a tailor made cover (like the Vanarak or Mutze).

The other option is a internal protector like the Brandup Iso Top.

Go to the Cali Accessories section to look at the reviews.

Finally here is a Topic on the heater noise.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=431

John

Hi John, thanks for the info on rain protection. I did a bit of research and found a similar product called a Khyam Kamper Cozi - any reviews on them anyone?
With regard to the heater clicking noise, it's the noise internally that is the problem. I can't believe we're talking about the same issue because if that knocking is normal it might be a deal breaker for me as I want to use the van all year round and i can't sleep through it. I better take it to the dealer.
Cheers, cracking site by the way!

Back