Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated Wing Mirrors - Operation

Interesting.

Advice given elsewhere has been not to leave the switch permanently in the centre position because the heaters would then be on all the time that the engine was running.

If there is a timer as described then I wonder what happens if the switch is already in the centre position and you first start engine - does that start the timer?

OK , learning new things here ....
Only used it a few times just switching on and off i guess.
WG , can you point out step by step how to?

Timed operation is how I thought they worked.

Don't know why except many heated rear windscreens work this way.

Alan

OK , learning new things here ....
Only used it a few times just switching on and off i guess.
WG , can you point out step by step how to?
That's it. If in the central position when engine starts then wing mirrors do not heat. Move switch to another position then back to Heating Position, this turns the heating elements on. Just like a rear window heater.

I wouldn't stake my house on it but I am sure that mine come on when the engine starts & remain on as long as the switch is in the heating position. I always forget to turn them off as all our other cars have them wired in the heated rear window circuit on a timer.
Although I have read on various forums that they should be turned off to stop them burning out I haven't seen that in the manual & if they weren't supposed to be left on surely VW would have put a warning light on the switch.

That's it. If in the central position when engine starts then wing mirrors do not heat. Move switch to another position then back to Heating Position, this turns the heating elements on. Just like a rear window heater.

That part i figured out as i used it that way , but you still need to swich them off.
You did mentiont a timer...or am i confusing things.
Tkx anyway.

Even my L
That part i figured out as i used it that way , but you still need to swich them off.
You did mentiont a timer...or am i confusing things.
Tkx anyway.
Apparently a timer, so that they switch off after a set interval.

Interesting.

Advice given elsewhere has been not to leave the switch permanently in the centre position because the heaters would then be on all the time that the engine was running.

If there is a timer as described then I wonder what happens if the switch is already in the centre position and you first start engine - does that start the timer?
My dealer said the same on handover told me that you have to switch them off after use or they will damage your mirrors because they stay on. The timer makes things better, so I can just flick them on and off and they will work for a set time? He did not mention that at all.

Time for a test drive to find out
I can't believe they don't turn off, as so many people would forget to do it manually. There would be a warning light.
Right
Off to test

Thermostat?

Time for a test drive to find out
I can't believe they don't turn off, as so many people would forget to do it manually. There would be a warning light.
Right
Off to test

That was a long drive! ;)

My heated mirrors have been switched on for the last 18 months with no ill effects. ...yet.
I hate the action of that switch, it feels like its about to come off in my hand , thats why I leave it in the same postion all the time.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a 2007 California
I’m not sure if the wing mirrors are working or not or how to switch them on and off? Also I don’t see any switch for the heated rear window operation or anything in the rear glass to indicate that there actually is a rear window demister??

Found this useful info on the T5 Forum regarding the Heating function of the Wing Mirrors. The poster is very knowledgable.

View attachment 11645
Hello Welsh gas, you seem to be knowledgeable on California so I’ll ask you! My wing mirrors don’t work I think?? It’s a 2007 California
How can I get them to work or turn on?? Also doesn’t seem to be a rear window demister anywhere??
I see you’re in the Vale??
I’m from Llantwit Major
Now in south Pembs
Did you know Col the gas from LM??

There isn't a heated rear window, its double glazed instead.

If you have heated mirrors the switch is the same one that you use to move the mirrors, just turn it round.

Hello Welsh gas, you seem to be knowledgeable on California so I’ll ask you! My wing mirrors don’t work I think?? It’s a 2007 California
How can I get them to work or turn on?? Also doesn’t seem to be a rear window demister anywhere??
I see you’re in the Vale??
I’m from Llantwit Major
Now in south Pembs
Did you know Col the gas from LM??
Hi, I'm don't know Col the gas, sorry.
The rear window on the California either has double glazing or a heated glass. If you can't see any horizontal wires then you have double glazing.
With regards to the wing mirrors, check the fuses in the central dashboard fuse box, 15 or 30 amp.

There isn't a heated rear window, its double glazed instead.

If you have heated mirrors the switch is the same one that you use to move the mirrors, just turn it round.
As I recall when the double glazed option was taken (2017) I was informed that I'd lose the heated rear window.
Double glazed now standard?

As I recall when the double glazed option was taken (2017) I was informed that I'd lose the heated rear window.
Double glazed now standard?
Always has been on ocean/SE with option to change rear window to single glazed & heated.

Always has been on ocean/SE with option to change rear window to single glazed & heated.
Definitely recall conversation about not having heated rear screen when I ordered my Ocean back in 2016. He made quite a point of it, but then he couldn't locate the tow ball when handing over so product knowledge was very questionable.

Still a little confused as to which setting is heater off on our wing mirrors as all of the post pics look very different to ours !
Advise anyone !

9F64834C-3E19-4B47-9930-A61FB2A0F4AD.jpeg

E3421F50-F87E-4763-9B4C-635D74C9F546.jpeg

1st photo is mirrors folded, second is heated mirrors on & is the only position that keeps them on.

So move it to LR or O if you don't want them on.

I often wondered why there was a 0 position - I put in a cost and complexity saving idea at Nissan to remove the 0. I was told it had to be there to create a neutral position so the settings could not be accidentally knocked. I leave mine on heated all the time - it's on a thermostat so they not really on all the time.

1st photo is mirrors folded, second is heated mirrors on & is the only position that keeps them on.

So move it to LR or O if you don't want them on.
Thanks, we normally when parked up have them folded, so at least it’s been off then.