Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated front Screen Option - worth having?

Evening all, we have currently opted for the heated front screen, however, after reading numerous comments about the parking heater being useful for the job, we may reconsider.

That said, we’ve had heated front screens in Fords for many years and find them extremely good at clearing the screen quickly when it mists up driving in rain. Does anyone else use the heated screen for this purpose? And if yes, is it any good? One of the comments in this post said the VW version was slow.

Thanks.

Evening all, we have currently opted for the heated front screen, however, after reading numerous comments about the parking heater being useful for the job, we may reconsider.

That said, we’ve had heated front screens in Fords for many years and find them extremely good at clearing the screen quickly when it mists up driving in rain. Does anyone else use the heated screen for this purpose? And if yes, is it any good? One of the comments in this post said the VW version was slow.

Thanks.

Hi Buzz, we had this option and ours wasn't very good at clearing mist off the screen, in fact I suspected it wasn't working.

However, one morning after a very hard frost it did clear the screen amazingly quickly.

Having said that, in the 3 - 4 years we had that van this situation occurred very rarely.

If you consider that in the event of windscreen damage it would likely be more difficult to obtain a replacement I don't think I would bother again.

Occasionally also you could see the wires and some people might find that off putting.

Hope this helps.

Hi Buzz, we had this option and ours wasn't very good at clearing mist off the screen, in fact I suspected it wasn't working.

However, one morning after a very hard frost it did clear the screen amazingly quickly.

Having said that, in the 3 - 4 years we had that van this situation occurred very rarely.

If you consider that in the event of windscreen damage it would likely be more difficult to obtain a replacement I don't think I would bother again.

Occasionally also you could see the wires and some people might find that off putting.

Hope this helps.
We have had Ford demisting screens which seemed a lot more effective than the Cali's and would endorse the comments above.

I have electric screens on all my motors now, wouldn't want to be without them. I have to say that the one I had on my Amarok (now sold) was faster, but the Cali and Caddy ones do the job. We get some fierce frosts on top of the Chilterns and I often leave early in the morning and they certainly help. Air-con plus screen blowers are more effective at clearing misting.

We have a Golf with heated screen, hardly ever use it. On our Cali I installed a separate control unit for the from-factory installed Webasto 'zuheizer' (engine heater). Now the heater can be used as the OEM parking heater which clears the front windows and gives you a pre-heated engine with a nice warm interior on cold days.
Also works in the summer, as you can set the blower on ventilation-mode...

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the heated screen chips easier. I have had my van for a little over a year and it has cracked twice from debris on the roads kicking up. The second time when it was replaced the carglass guy said the he sees it with the heated screen more often. I guess it depends on where you drive but I'm often in the south of France and Italy and both times it happened there. Luckily it was covered by insurance but if not I would have replaced it with the standard screen at almost half the cost...

@motacyclist @Bellcrew @Loz2286 @pcevanrulo @Able78 Thanks all, appreciate your input. We’re waiting to hear if we can amend our order, but now very much thinking of cancelling this option and putting the £500+ towards the tow-bar option :thumb
Oh my word yes! A choice between the heated screen or a tow bar I'd be 100% for the tow bar. There's SO much functionality available with a tow bar that it's a no-brainer.

I've just spec'd this for my 'about to be ordered' beach, because it came as part of a 'winter pack' (Belgium configuration). The parking heater with remote is 2300 and the winter pack was 2500 and includes the heater, remote, heated screen, heated washer and heated seats. Seemed like a no-brainer.

Back