Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Headlight adapters

wyn

wyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We will be leaving for our first trip to Europe on Sunday - travelling through France to Spain and in preparation I have bought the usual set of universal headlight adapters. On looking up the list of alternative placings, I can't find anything that looks right. Can anybody help me a photo would be great.

Asked about this in local Van centre & they said that no recent VW needs any form of adapter, they are OK as is !
Have to say I don't agree as a lot of light gets directed to N/S which in Europe would be in the path of on coming traffic !

The user manual contradicts the advice given to you. As it is also a legal requirement I will definitely be using adapters. I would still appreciate a diagram or photo from someone who has fitted adapters to a facelift Cali so that I can make sure that they are correctly positioned.

My previous car had a small lever on each headlight to change the direction of the beam, i dont think we have this on the Cali. everytime i go to the continent i have just used electrical tape on the lens but its been a bit of trial and error getting it in the correct place. You will soon know if its incorrect as everyone will be flashing you coming the other way.

Just spoken to a different van centre & they said that masks are listed on computer for 2010 on cali + cost of £4. None in stock though !
Also just read manual & agree it says are required.

I would recommend buying a set of headlamp protectors (a VW accessory). They come with reusable black self-adhesive LHD 'converters' which block the headlamp beam deflection to the left. The mounting position of the converters is pre-marked on the headlamp protectors. I have used these on the continent with no problems.
Wojtek

I use the VW genuine items. I would advise putting a double sided tab on each end though as they do tend to move after hours of motor way driving.

I bought a set of 'beam benders' a tad hit & miss getting them on in the correct place. Have had them on for 5 days now & not had any one flash me here in portugal, so despite the beam not looking much different they must work !!
Noticed when I fitted them that N/S headlight has marks on it. As others have said VW headlight covers are probably a good investment as I suspect cost of new headlight when lense gets very scratched will be horendous.