Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Head unit TV tuner

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anyone else out there with the TV tuner option for the head unit?

We have RNS510 DAB head unit with TV tuner (located under the seat) in our Cali. I find it fantastic, including for our young kids to watch CBeebies in the morning whilst we’re putting away the bed/ packing up. I haven’t read any posts on here about the TV tuner, so wondering whether our van is in the minority in having it.

Anyone else out there with the TV tuner option for the head unit?

We have RNS510 DAB head unit with TV tuner (located under the seat) in our Cali. I find it fantastic, including for our young kids to watch CBeebies in the morning whilst we’re putting away the bed/ packing up. I haven’t read any posts on here about the TV tuner, so wondering whether our van is in the minority in having it.
Do you have a built in TV screen? If not, could you post a picture of a control button or menu on your RNS510 for the TV tuner? Who knows, maybe more of us have it.

Do you have a built in TV screen? If not, could you post a picture of a control button or menu on your RNS510 for the TV tuner? Who knows, maybe more of us have it.
The head unit screen becomes the TV screen, in the same way as you can play DVDs through the unit:
E35012F6-0A1B-4B19-B1EB-640C25365B81.jpeg

How do you access it, through the media button?

Ok, don't have it. My three options are AV, DVD and Bluetooth, which controls the hands free phone connection. Thanks for the info.

That is pretty cool! That said we just bung iPlayer on, on an iPad, to achieve the same.

Agree that this can be similarly achieved with an iPad, but the TV is tuned into the Cali's speakers, receives live TV without using your mobile data budget, and the head unit is in a nice position for kids to watch in the morning from the vantage point of the upstairs bed.

I would spec the option on a new Cali order if it was still available, but has now been discontinued (as has the built-in WiFi router option unfortunately, now only avail on Grand Calis)

Last edited:
Agree that this can be similarly achieved with an iPad, but the TV is tuned into the Cali's speakers, receives live TV without using your mobile data budget, and the head unit is in a nice position for kids to watch in the morning from the vantage point of the upstairs bed.

I would spec the option on a new Cali order if it was still available, but has now been discontinued (as has the built-in WiFi router option unfortunately, now only avail on Grand Calis)
Good points!

Does it automatically switch off after 20+ minutes to conserve the engine battery?

Good question @WelshGas. From memory it's more like 30 mins and a very useful feature in itself, otherwise our young kids would happily watch CBeebies for hours from the pop top!

Another fun fact about this system is that you can listen (but not watch, for obvious safety reasons) to live TV whilst on the move.

The kids like listening to CBeebies on the move, which I find is a nice compromise between keeping them entertained and not giving them screens (plenty of years ahead of that!)

To follow up on your post @WelshGas here is a photo of the digital TV tuner which sits under the driver’s seat. It was a factory install.

I’m not sure where the aerial is located, perhaps alongside the aerial for the WiFi router, but it works very well actually - even picking up some TV channels on remote Scottish islands.

DB491A57-C3F8-44E0-B492-01EEB428078C.jpeg

^ That box above can be had for anywhere in-between 89€ up to 250€ and beyond
all the way to 800€. I checked them out today cos i have the TV button on mine but no box.

No good for me seeing i don't even watch TV but maybe okay for HC so he can keep
up with the Belgium soaps.

Back