Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hardtop California wanted!?

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Has anyone ever wanted a hardtop/high top California? With the problems with my roof sensors, I could imagine just preferring a solid high top. I imagine a fibreglass one would be easy to source but it would have to aluminium, body colour for me.
The first van I rented was a high top Toyota Hiace in New Zealand for a month. I really liked that. I think I go under a 2 metre barrier about once a year.
The bed etc could remain unaltered.
Yes I have heard of the Grand California but that’s not what I’d like.

There are many options with solid high top. If you use the search funtion you'll find lots of info. In the meantime, take a look at the Westfalia models. Depends on what you want and how you camp, but we love our toppie!

Last edited:
Has anyone ever wanted a hardtop/high top California? With the problems with my roof sensors, I could imagine just preferring a solid high top. I imagine a fibreglass one would be easy to source but it would have to aluminium, body colour for me.
The first van I rented was a high top Toyota Hiace in New Zealand for a month. I really liked that. I think I go under a 2 metre barrier about once a year.
The bed etc could remain unaltered.
Yes I have heard of the Grand California but that’s not what I’d like.
We used to have a T25 Hightop. I thought it was great but Mrs chipbutty always referred to it as the ‘ice cream van’; I didn’t find it restrictive as now we always tend to have something on the roof anyway that takes us over 2m. You can have fibreglass matched to the body colour, and probably more sturdy than aluminium anyway.

Search 'polyroof' on here and elsewhere. See quite a few in mainland Europe
And 7mins 40 into here for some interior shots

Last edited:
I’m just not a big fan of fibreglass. A friend has a great T4 Westphalia and it’s roof peels after a while.

It would be nice to have something where you kept bed abs hatch as is.

I was talking to someone a few weeks back and i said I’m surprised you cant get some form of a hightop to bolt into existing California bolt holes. Would be good if you wanted to travel Europe for a few months.

It’s westfalia uses lwb, they made the California in the beginning.
Calis should only have pop top no need to be hightop unless you fit loo and shower. A good roof topper works a treat, had isotop in my old cali lovely and warm.

Club Joker etc seem to be 2 sleepers. I don’t want a loo.

I suppose what I’d like (and not going to get) is
No hassle of raising roof.
No crouching. I always crouch even when beds up. Can’t help it.
Could leave bedding on the bed. That would free up a lot of space.
I’ve had our California since 2009 so I am quite attached to it. I’m not complaining. Was just wondering if others might like a metal fixed top. Doesn’t sound like I should be phoning China just yet.

I have a lot of respect for the Joker etc. Maybe we’ll get a two sleeper GC when the kids wander off.

I’m just not a big fan of fibreglass. A friend has a great T4 Westphalia and it’s roof peels after a while.
Having had 3 previous vans, all over 20 years old with fibreglass tops / no roof issues, but now seeing corrosion bubbles on our Cali Alu roof that’s less than 10 years old...I would be more inclined to go for fibreglass if I had the choice.

Having had 3 previous vans, all over 20 years old with fibreglass tops / no roof issues, but now seeing corrosion bubbles on our Cali Alu roof that’s less than 10 years old...I would be more inclined to go for fibreglass if I had the choice.
Fair point.
The flaky T4 was from 1992 I think, so nearly 30 yrs old.

If you take your California to Autohaus in Minehead they will put a high top on, like picture - this is not a California. I think they will be surprised at the request, but they will do it. Price, at a guess £5k.

DSC05823.JPG

Does it cover the corrosion? If so might be worth it!
Don't know. Give them a call. Suggest you ask to speak to Tony - the boss. The high top on my van is a Remio roof that is glass fibre. No issues with it or the paint work over 3 years. It is well insulated so winter warm.

Back