Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Handbrake Failure

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My wife had a terrifying experience dropping of the kids around a friends house. Basically parked up, kids out and when grabbing the school bags out of the back she heard a creaking and the van started rolling backwards down the drive. She dived in (finally an advantage to a right hand sliding door!), legs hanging out of the door pulled the handbrake up and it was already as high as it could be and carried on rolling luckily the road levelled out and existing handbrake pressure slowed it down enough for her to get in properly and touch the brakes.

Yes she should have left it in gear and yes the drive was steep but as her friend said she has lived there 10 years and parked every day and no one has ever had the problem. My poor wife was so shaken up and she picked up a good few bruises diving in the van. It doesn't bare thinking what could have been if anyone was behind it :eek:

We spoke to VW customer care and the van going into VW Hatfield on monday to investigate

I read that T5's where recalled in the past because of handbrake failures so interested to learn what the issues where in the past?? Has anyone else had this problem?

Funny enough its always been one of my biggest fears in camper vans that the handbrake fails whilst we where all asleep in the van camping which is why I always leave them in 1st gear (or reverse depending on which way we are facing the incline) and I always chock both sides of the wheels.

My wife learnt a valuable lesson on when to park in gear! but I still don't think it should have failed the way it did :headbang

Does it matter which gear you leave it in? I always leave it in first gear irrespective of the direction of the slope we are parked on.

Always leave mine in reverse or 1st, handbrake is hardly used. handbrake has to be off for turning of seats.

John :headbang

To resurrect this one. At work today. I pulled up at the gate. Handbrake on. Got out to open and the van rolled into the sodding gates causing some minor scuffing on the front. Anyone else think the handbrake is a bit crap unless fully yanked very hard and high? Also how do you fix these marks in the lacquer that I did? Would a ceramic coat man get these out? Is the handbrake easy to adjust?

20230601_093621.jpg

To resurrect this one. At work today. I pulled up at the gate. Handbrake on. Got out to open and the van rolled into the sodding gates causing some minor scuffing on the front. Anyone else think the handbrake is a bit crap unless fully yanked very hard and high? Also how do you fix these marks in the lacquer that I did? Would a ceramic coat man get these out? Is the handbrake easy to adjust?

View attachment 109244
Lucky it only made low speed contact with the gates. Have to say its one feature on the Cali that is wanting. A couple of times I thought I had it engaged it adequately only to hear it creak forward and requiring one more ratchet up to hold firm. Seems to be tuned for an empty panel van instead of a 3 ton camper.
A competent PDR guy should be able to relacquer those areas.

Back