Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

had a Cali for 5 years and now think of buying a joker

J

Jill

I've had a Cali for 5 years here in Norway and enjoyed using it but now think a Joker would suit us better as one of us is a light sleeper and the other would like a loo on board. But does anyone know.
1. Is it much more difficult to manoeuvre in a tight space?
2. Does it also have the night/winter heater system as an option?
:help

Hi Jill
I posted the topic about the Club Joker because we are in a similar situation to yourselves.
We've owned a California for four years now and have found that on extended holidays of 5 weeks or so we would like additional comforts without the need to have a home on wheels. We have had plenty of interupted sleep on noisy sites, a canvas roof has no chance of blocking out noisy neighbours or road noise and sleeping with the roof down is just too claustrophobic. The Club Joker would also enable us to use small certificated sites that don't have any facilities. we've not even attempted to have a wash in the California's miniscule sink.
To answer your questions:
It is available with a heater
It will be more difficult to manouevre in tight spaces, the turning circle is increased by approx 1 metre which is still less than a Fiat Ducato. the van width often crucial in manouevring remains the same.
Of course there is also the higher roof but for me there haven't been many instances where this would have been a problem as I prefer to park on street rather than in a car park.
There are plus points and minus for all conversions.
I still don't class the Club Joker as a motorhome despite the arguments.

Hubert

Although my experience is with T4's, I've moved from a Reimo pop-top to Westfalia Exclusive (similar to the new Joker layout) for much the same reasons.
I'm a big fan of the new (and my) Westy layout. Considering it's just 30cm longer, I find it so much more practical, mainly because it allows a loo/dressing zone, a cooking zone, and a seating zone. In the conventional side layout, there is just one zone.
Sleeping up top is much quieter and warmer. I'd say sound levels will on-par with the T5 Cali with the roof locked down. There isn't so much height at the 'head end' as you get with the pop-top and executing a turn once up there is a bit tricky as a result.

I don't find the extra vehicle length a problem. With the height you obviously have to keep a look-out for car park barriers (and possibly very low bridges on country lanes), but I've had no problems so far.
I'd say 'go for it'.

the upper berth system is a piece of superb designing! very impressed with that and with the general qulalitty of fittings and finish. and you can use the shower outside. It's generating a lot of interest ...

Back