Greater Manchester Clean Air Zone

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I thought it might be useful to have a central thread for discussions about the Manchester CAZ and it's very serious implications for Cali owners.

For those of you who don't know, it's proposed to introduce the CAZ across all of Greater Manchester's 10 Districts, covering almost 400sq miles, making the other zones look like pin picks in comparison. It runs from the Liverpool side of Wigan to almost Derbyshire.

The proposals don't currently include cars, but any diesel Cali's without Ad Blue (so prior to 2016) will be charged £10 to enter the zone from June 2023. For those of us who live in the zone (I do by 300m), its £10 to move off your drive.

HGVs (Inc Motorhomes over 3.5T) older than 2016 are to be charged £60 a day.

Since the signs and cameras have gone up in the last month, there has been a huge backlash as the decision had been rushed through by Zoom council meetings during Covid, with next to zero publicity.

The Facebook group fighting it gained 65,000 members in a month and the pressure seems to be winning. Andy Burham (GM mayor and ambitious little sod) is back peddling, first blaming the government, then messing with the compensation measures, and has today seemingly thrown the scheme back to Westminster to reconsider.

Zones like this, which allow cars (any cars, no matter how polluting) but charge Cali's represent a very serious threat to Cali ownership. My Cali is is my only vehicle so it would be £10 a day to leave my drive. Those who only use their huge motor home for holidays might not be so worried by a £10 toll to leave and then again to return after three weeks in Spain.

Those potentially impacted please join the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/greatermanchestercaz/?ref=share

And watch this video to see how the traditional politics have gone into reverse:

My 2014 California Euro 5, Diesel Car M1 Body Type Motorcaravan is exempt for ALL CAZ except the London ULEZ according to the DVLA check site.

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 22.57.35.jpg

Same sh1t coming to Sheffield too. I would get it if alternatives were provided. But they aren't

Same sh1t coming to Sheffield too. I would get it if alternatives were provided. But they aren't
They are popping up everywhere but non are 400 sq miles and allow ALL cars but charge all vans (except welshgas!)

My 2014 California Euro 5, Diesel Car
I think we are going to be back to this car / plg debate. Prepare for this to get messy.

Just tried a 2014 and a 2015 from our for sale section, and they both will be charged from 2023 when the special exemption runs out.

Well that’s an extra £10 a day for us every time we take the van out, we live in the Zone. I’m a bit shocked TBH, didn’t even realise this was coming! It seems absolutely ridiculous that someone can drive their knackered old diesel car or massive 4x4 every single day, multiple times a day causing high levels of pollution and us that walk or cycle for all local trips will be penalised when we take a trip in the van to do the weekly big shop. I think we might sell the house (the vans going nowhere) and move to North Wales and benefit from free prescriptions, free swimming, free youth clubs, free education etc. oh and no clean air zone charges. Actually if it wasn’t for damn Brexit we’d definitely be moving to Portugal, I’m afraid this country seems to be offering less and less but costing more and more, I’m truly hacked off with it :mad:

If you work nights, like I do, would it be £10 ON the way to work and then another tenner on the way home as it would be the next day. Or have labour not thought of that?

If you work nights, like I do, would it be £10 ON the way to work and then another tenner on the way home as it would be the next day. Or have labour not thought of that?
On consecutive nights it still works out at a tenner. As your trip home and then back at night fall in the same 'day' but I think your butt gets bitten at the start or end of the week depending on the shift pattern.

Well that’s an extra £10 a day for us every time we take the van out, we live in the Zone. I’m a bit shocked TBH, didn’t even realise this was coming! It seems absolutely ridiculous that someone can drive their knackered old diesel car or massive 4x4 every single day, multiple times a day causing high levels of pollution and us that walk or cycle for all local trips will be penalised when we take a trip in the van to do the weekly big shop. I think we might sell the house (the vans going nowhere) and move to North Wales and benefit from free prescriptions, free swimming, free youth clubs, free education etc. oh and no clean air zone charges. Actually if it wasn’t for damn Brexit we’d definitely be moving to Portugal, I’m afraid this country seems to be offering less and less but costing more and more, I’m truly hacked off with it :mad:
Do check your reg Paul as Welshgas gets a pass. Also, Andy Burnham has crapped his pants (yesterday) and passed it back to the government, after having spent months saying what a great system he'd designed.
Wales does sound nice though!

Do check your reg Paul as Welshgas gets a pass. Also, Andy Burnham has crapped his pants (yesterday) and passed it back to the government, after having spent months saying what a great system he'd designed.
Wales does sound nice though!
Yeah don’t understand why Welshgas gets a pass, ours is 2012 Euro5 and is charged at £10 from next year, I understand it’s only Euro6 that are exempt? Just been talking with the wife and we agree the prospect of paying £10 every time we take the van out is not something we can stomach, it just seems like a very unfair additional tax. So looks like the van might be going soon whilst prices are strong as we’re not in a position to move house for another 3 years. On the plus side I get a sports car and we stay in nice hotels again when we have weekends away, so it’s not all bad;) But still annoying as we had no interest in the selling the van and had planned to enjoy it for many more years……

Yeah don’t understand why Welshgas gets a pass, ours is 2012 Euro5 and is charged at £10 from next year, I understand it’s only Euro6 that are exempt? Just been talking with the wife and we agree the prospect of paying £10 every time we take the van out is not something we can stomach, it just seems like a very unfair additional tax. So looks like the van might be going soon whilst prices are strong as we’re not in a position to move house for another 3 years. On the plus side I get a sports car and we stay in nice hotels again when we have weekends away, so it’s not all bad;) But still annoying as we had no interest in the selling the van and had planned to enjoy it for many more years……
I suspect we are in for a very long delay now, or that might be optimistic thinking. I suspect when it comes back to a local decision, it will be reduced in either area / type of vehicle / price.

I suspect we are in for a very long delay now, or that might be optimistic thinking. I suspect when it comes back to a local decision, it will be reduced in either area / type of vehicle / price.
You could well be right but it’s got me thinking now and I’ve just spent the last hour on Autotrader LOL :) Found a very nice Skoda Octavia vRS estate in blue, practical but fast, think I can slip that past the wife, it was a big fat no to a BMW M2! :rolleyes: Think I’ll fire an email off to Motorway to get a price for the Cali anyway, just in case…..

I thought it might be useful to have a central thread for discussions about the Manchester CAZ and it's very serious implications for Cali owners.

For those of you who don't know, it's proposed to introduce the CAZ across all of Greater Manchester's 10 Districts, covering almost 400sq miles, making the other zones look like pin picks in comparison. It runs from the Liverpool side of Wigan to almost Derbyshire.

The proposals don't currently include cars, but any diesel Cali's without Ad Blue (so prior to 2016) will be charged £10 to enter the zone from June 2023. For those of us who live in the zone (I do by 300m), its £10 to move off your drive.

HGVs (Inc Motorhomes over 3.5T) older than 2016 are to be charged £60 a day.

Since the signs and cameras have gone up in the last month, there has been a huge backlash as the decision had been rushed through by Zoom council meetings during Covid, with next to zero publicity.

The Facebook group fighting it gained 65,000 members in a month and the pressure seems to be winning. Andy Burham (GM mayor and ambitious little sod) is back peddling, first blaming the government, then messing with the compensation measures, and has today seemingly thrown the scheme back to Westminster to reconsider.

Zones like this, which allow cars (any cars, no matter how polluting) but charge Cali's represent a very serious threat to Cali ownership. My Cali is is my only vehicle so it would be £10 a day to leave my drive. Those who only use their huge motor home for holidays might not be so worried by a £10 toll to leave and then again to return after three weeks in Spain.

Those potentially impacted please join the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/greatermanchestercaz/?ref=share

And watch this video to see how the traditional politics have gone into reverse:
As with all these proposals it is just waved through without any thought of who it affects, think of all the thousands of tradesmen in this area with older transits, £10 a day/£60 a week extra road tax just for being a bit poor, all from a Labour council.

As with all these proposals it is just waved through without any thought of who it affects, think of all the thousands of tradesmen in this area with older transits, £10 a day/£60 a week extra road tax just for being a bit poor, all from a Labour council.
Then passed on to their customers.

On consecutive nights it still works out at a tenner. As your trip home and then back at night fall in the same 'day' but I think your butt gets bitten at the start or end of the week depending on the shift pattern.
yeah. 4 night shifts would be 50 sheets. i thought we already had a tax on going to work. it is called TAX

Crazy. I feel sorry for white van man.
Going green is going to be very expensive for working class.

My old 2014 (2015my so blumotion etc) T5.1 140SE Manual shows:

Clean Air Zone Daily charge Zone live Map Exemptions
Bath No Charge Now Zone boundary Bath and North East Somerset Council

Birmingham £8.00 Pay Now Zone boundary Birmingham City Council

Bradford £9.00 2022 Zone boundary Bradford City Council

Greater Manchester No Charge
Temporary exemption 30 May 2022 Zone boundary Greater Manchester

Portsmouth No Charge Now Zone boundary Portsmouth City Council

When puuting in the reg number it came up as :

CAZ vehicle type Van
Make Volkswagen
Model California se tdi bmt